Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading Pre-Built PC with New Parts

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2010 6:05:13 AM

This forum has given some good advice before, so I am hoping you can help me as well.
p.s. - I'm not sure if this was the proper category for this thread. Sorry

I have an old HP PC from I think about 3-4 years ago.
This model:
I'm not exactly sure what the MOBO is though.
When I first bought it, I added a nVidia 7950GT.

Recently, I upgraded some parts.

Case:

Power Supply:

GPU:

HDD:

and I also added an extra 1GB of ram.
I'm running Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

My friend told me that this would make my PC better at running newer games, but I'm not happy with just this.

I was wondering if my old MOBO and CPU are holding back my PC's performance.

I plan on spending about $1000 by Christmas on upgrades. Any advice?

Thanks! Sorry if I'm missing needed info.

Additional info:
I use my PC mainly for watching HD content and playing games (Civ 5, Fallout, L4D2, Mass Effect 2., etc.)
No video editing, CAD, or high-resource programs.
October 26, 2010 9:38:57 AM

Its true that once real world full hd/AA+AF gaming is concerned is on the table - the bottleneck passes back to the CPU However u have a GT240 which is only as good as a previous gen 9600GT If u want to move several notches up anything like your chip, E2xxx just cannot cut it So in summary

a. Tone down res/settings for playable frames with latest games with current rig
b. With $1k and carefully picked out parts one could build a spanking new gaming monster hehe
October 26, 2010 1:46:33 PM

A dual core Athlon 4200+ is a really weak processor by today's standards. You need a motherboard/processor/memory upgrade at this point. Do that first. The 240 is also not a top end GPU, but plugging it into a modern board with Quad core processor running at 3 ghz and about 4 gig of DDR3 memory will net you some pretty big returns over what you have now. Yeah, your CPU is a big bottleneck here.
Related resources
October 30, 2010 7:09:33 AM

woah dude get rid of that cpu first and get a new ddr3 usb 3.0 mobo and a new graphic card and a ssd this will sericosly help u out

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEGATRON-CORE-2-QUAD-DDR3-LGA-775-M...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-NVIDIA-GEFORCE-GTX-480-15...

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-Core-2-Extreme-Quad-Core-QX96...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Intel-SSDSA2MH160G2C1-160GB-SSD...

it migght come up to a bit more than 1000 but if it does eliminate the hdd

and get some ddr 3 ram!!
hope it helps
November 2, 2010 3:01:39 AM

Thank you for your advice!

Ok, glad to know I was right about the CPU. Sad to hear the gpu is barely midrange (should've done my research before taking the guys advice).

Should I just upgrade my mobo and CPU to match my current gpu, and save up my money for some upcoming tech for a new pc? Or should i really upgrade everything now? I don't really know what's on the horizon for computer tech.

Vada: I don't know anything about mobos, but it seems strange that the mobo is only $20 while everything else is $200+? I thought I would need a higher end mobo to run the high-end CPU and gpu.

And what's too much ram? Will I ever need more than 4 or 6 gb for gaming needs?

Thanks again!

Best solution

November 2, 2010 3:46:14 AM

no not really all a gpu needs is a pci-e slot
and if u really want to save up money then thers some really cool stuff on the horizon
like nvidea's gtx 580 and intel's I5 SB (sandy bridge)
though u might have to wait for it until feb 2011 itz a good shot
November 2, 2010 3:49:51 AM

and btw games like crysis need a good 8gb ram to play at ultra
and also u will not need to invest (too much) in the future if u get ddr 3 ram we can expect ddr3 to rule for quite a while and usb 3.0 is quite new too !
November 14, 2010 8:12:47 AM

Thanks again for all the info!!
I try to see what I can do for this pc now.
You guys are great
November 18, 2010 9:00:24 PM

Best answer selected by kokyuu.
!