Will any DSL modem work?

pbarney

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I have been tasked with replacing a broken 2Wire 2701HG-B DSL modem that we use for AT&T service.

We use it in bridge mode and have a sonicwall handle the PPPoE.

My question is this: will ANY dsl modem work? I simply don't know enough about DSL to be able to answer this question.

I've been asked to pick something up at Best Buy tomorrow morning and install it at the client site, but I feel like I'm grabbing at straws here.

Thanks for any help.

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Not "ALL" modems are compatible.

From what I have found, you need to match the VPI/VCI pair.

I don't want to sound rude or ignorant, but try Googleing your question. I did and it came up with quite a few answers. Just not sure your exact setup with AT&T.

Good luck

pbarney

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I did quite a bit of googling on this, but was unable to find a definitive answer. I did see several posts about matching the VPI/VCI pair, but no word on whether or not this is something that all DSL modems do.

I did see some posts about regional differences in setting up modems, but again, nothing definitive.

It seems that most local tech stores (Best Buy, etc) carry modems appropriate for the region, so it's safe to buy locally, but that doesn't help when you're shopping eBay or Froogle.

In the end, Best Buy had the same model as the one that broke, so I just purchased that one.

But it would still be nice to know the ultimate answer to the original question.

pbarney

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
No. But I did learn that electronics stores in the region will likely be carrying replacements that are compatible with the DSL in the area. Also, the more informed shops will know which models will work with which service.

I did learn, however, that when it comes to CABLE modems, pretty much any one will work with any service as long as it's got the same (or higher) DOCSIS version. Although with one client's service, the cable company would not allow us to use it because it violates their terms of service.