New Computer Problems

georgeVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi my name is George

After searching around the internet for a solution to my problem I have come up with nothing. Throughout my search this community seemed the most knowledgeable so it is to you that I come with my pleas for help.

I recently built a new computer from scratch (first time doing this). I spent lots of time on it following all the instructions and making sure that all my parts are compatible with each other. All of the parts are brand new except for the two hard drives which were from my old computer.

One hard drive had windows xp 32bit installed and the other was just a storage drive with music, movies, etc. on it. As I am a student in Canada I got a deal from Microsoft and got a new copy of windows 7 pro which I downloaded (I downloaded the .exe version) and burnt it onto a disc. My plan was to start up the computer with windows xp and then put the disc in to upgrade to win 7. What I forgot was that my new processor was a 64bit processor and thus when I turned it on it would flash an image which looked like the cover of the box my motherboard came in and then would show the traditional win xp starting up screen (win logo with progress bar below it) and then it would restart and repeat until manually shut it off.

Realizing my error I downloaded the ISO version of win 7 pro to make a boot disc. A back up disc is coming in the mail but I do not have that yet. Also since I wanted to save some stuff from my old hard drive I bought a sata to usb adapter and used that to take the stuff i wanted off my original boot drive onto my gf's laptop and then transfer it from her laptop to my other storage drive using the same adapter. I then formatted the original boot drive so it was empty.

I then put the cleaned drive back into the computer and reconnected everything. I then put in my new disc and tried to install win 7. When I turned it on it would first flash a picture that looks like the cover of the box my motherboard came in. Then it would give me the message BootMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I cannot seem to access my BIOS no matter what button I press and my only option is to press ctrlaltdel which just repeats the same process.

These are my parts:

CM Storm Enforcer Case
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MSI 870A-G54
4 x Corsair XMS PC10666
Lite ON IHAP422-98 SuperAllwrite Drive
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
XFX Radeon HD 6790
WD1600JS 160GB (Formatted Drive)
Seagate 1TB drive (think its 7200.12)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

George.

ampersand

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
DELETE is the BIOS access key for MSI motherboards. Try booting up and then holding delete immediately.

Once you get into BIOS you will want to change the boot device priority so that the DVD drive is first, allowing you to boot into the Windows 7 installation.

georgeVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Thank you ampersand holding delete as soon as i turned the power on got me into BIOS. Apparently pressing it a bunch of times does nothing, only holding it. I changed the boot priority and it is now loading files. I will update if I have further problems but it is looking good so far. Thanks again

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Few house cleaning things:
1. Power:
A. MOBO - uncap the 8-pin CPU power and use the full 8-pins 12V(8Pin), verify the 24-pin main is properly connected.
B. GPU HD 6790 - typically a 6 Pin PCIe connector

2. Format - WD1600JS 160GB {WD Caviar Blue } ; create a bootable Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) check and reformat the HDD (again) ; link http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&lang=en

3. Boot-Loop - there are a lot of causes and verifying power is an important first step. The next if needed is to insure there's no shorting; example IF you have installed an aftermarket HSF that has metal brackets then make certain there's no Metal -> MOBO contact and if needed use the stock HSF until the boot problem(s) are corrected.

IF the Boot Loop continues:
You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short (PWR & Ground) if needed the use the Power Button to start.

Once it starts connect only the bare essentials and minimum peripherals then boot to Windows installation DVD and install Widows.

ampersand

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
It seems to me that George formatted his boot drive, including the boot manager, and could not access the BIOS to change the boot device because he was trying the wrong keys.