Solved

New i7 system PSU Q+A

Hello I am going to build a new i7/Radeon system and I am wondering what PSU i will need!

What im going to build :p :

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 Processor LGA1366 2.8GHz 8MB Cache CPU

CPU Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H70 High-performance CPU Cooler

MOBO: Asus Rampage III Formula Socket1366 X58 6xDDR3 3waySLI CrossFire RAID SupremeFX X-Fi 2 Audio GLAN AT

RAM: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A1600C7 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800(1600MHz) XMP, DOMINATOR GT +DHX +AirFan,DDR3

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue 32MB SATAII WD10EALS
HDD2: (upgrade later) Corsair Force 60GB SSD

GPU: Asus EAH5870-2DIS-1GD5 HD5870 1GB GDDR5 Full HD HDMI ( possible future Xfire)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST SATA DVDRW

WIFI Card: Asus PCE-N13 WLAN PCI-Express Low Profile (i want 1 because my current USB WIFI overheats + internet crashes) would this work at 20m and
through a wall or 2?

Router: (Currently have) TP-LINK W8901G (would this work in conjuction with the wifi card?

Case: CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 "HAF X" 942 Black No PSU

I have been told to just get a Cosair HX-1000W PSU but i am unsure becase i am not using Nvidia energy draining cards ect.

***Also would a computer using 700W of power with a 850W PSU be less or the same energy BILL as a computer using 700W of power with a 1000W PSU?

Thanks for your time,
Intel1502 :hello:

QUICK EDIT: Oh oh oh !! i forgot, i will also try to overclock CPU to 4.0 Ghz, will it be possible w/ these specs?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system
  1. Best answer
    Normal use that build should never be using 700W of power, even while gaming. Benchmarking it might though. PSU's get top efficiency around 80 % of max capacity, but the actual difference is inconsequential to your bill (less than a dollar a month.) 850W will be fine, but. I would look at a pair of 6850's though, at that price point. I would guess that you can get to 4.0 GHz, but it's really just luck of the draw. BTW, unless you are getting a microcenter deal or something, you should be able to get a 950 for the same price.

I would also reccomend you put together a full loop if you want to watercool, and just run stock clock w/ the HSF until then.
  2. etk said:
    Normal use that build should never be using 700W of power, even while gaming. Benchmarking it might though. PSU's get top efficiency around 80 % of max capacity, but the actual difference is inconsequential to your bill (less than a dollar a month.) 850W will be fine, but. I would look at a pair of 6850's though, at that price point. I would guess that you can get to 4.0 GHz, but it's really just luck of the draw. BTW, unless you are getting a microcenter deal or something, you should be able to get a 950 for the same price.

I would also reccomend you put together a full loop if you want to watercool, and just run stock clock w/ the HSF until then.

If i am going 6xxx series ide go for 6970 with possible Xfire later. I live in Australia and there are no microcentres here.. i shop @ www.umart.com.au.. and also i am very scared to use watercooling pumps ect because: a)expence b)i am 13 and I dont want to *** it up c)I dont know how to set it up
  3. Best answer selected by intel1502.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel i7 Systems Product