Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New i7 system PSU Q+A

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2010 6:40:13 AM

Hello I am going to build a new i7/Radeon system and I am wondering what PSU i will need!

What im going to build :p  :

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 Processor LGA1366 2.8GHz 8MB Cache CPU

CPU Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H70 High-performance CPU Cooler

MOBO: Asus Rampage III Formula Socket1366 X58 6xDDR3 3waySLI CrossFire RAID SupremeFX X-Fi 2 Audio GLAN AT

RAM: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A1600C7 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800(1600MHz) XMP, DOMINATOR GT +DHX +AirFan,DDR3

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue 32MB SATAII WD10EALS
HDD2: (upgrade later) Corsair Force 60GB SSD

GPU: Asus EAH5870-2DIS-1GD5 HD5870 1GB GDDR5 Full HD HDMI ( possible future Xfire)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST SATA DVDRW

WIFI Card: Asus PCE-N13 WLAN PCI-Express Low Profile (i want 1 because my current USB WIFI overheats + internet crashes) would this work at 20m and
through a wall or 2?

Router: (Currently have) TP-LINK W8901G (would this work in conjuction with the wifi card?

Case: CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 "HAF X" 942 Black No PSU

I have been told to just get a Cosair HX-1000W PSU but i am unsure becase i am not using Nvidia energy draining cards ect.

***Also would a computer using 700W of power with a 850W PSU be less or the same energy BILL as a computer using 700W of power with a 1000W PSU?

Thanks for your time,
Intel1502 :hello: 

QUICK EDIT: Oh oh oh !! i forgot, i will also try to overclock CPU to 4.0 Ghz, will it be possible w/ these specs?

More about : system psu

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2010 7:21:17 AM

Normal use that build should never be using 700W of power, even while gaming. Benchmarking it might though. PSU's get top efficiency around 80 % of max capacity, but the actual difference is inconsequential to your bill (less than a dollar a month.) 850W will be fine, but. I would look at a pair of 6850's though, at that price point. I would guess that you can get to 4.0 GHz, but it's really just luck of the draw. BTW, unless you are getting a microcenter deal or something, you should be able to get a 950 for the same price.

I would also reccomend you put together a full loop if you want to watercool, and just run stock clock w/ the HSF until then.
October 26, 2010 7:29:46 AM

etk said:
Normal use that build should never be using 700W of power, even while gaming. Benchmarking it might though. PSU's get top efficiency around 80 % of max capacity, but the actual difference is inconsequential to your bill (less than a dollar a month.) 850W will be fine, but. I would look at a pair of 6850's though, at that price point. I would guess that you can get to 4.0 GHz, but it's really just luck of the draw. BTW, unless you are getting a microcenter deal or something, you should be able to get a 950 for the same price.

I would also reccomend you put together a full loop if you want to watercool, and just run stock clock w/ the HSF until then.

If i am going 6xxx series ide go for 6970 with possible Xfire later. I live in Australia and there are no microcentres here.. i shop @ www.umart.com.au.. and also i am very scared to use watercooling pumps ect because: a)expence b)i am 13 and I dont want to *** it up c)I dont know how to set it up
m
l
October 26, 2010 8:14:53 AM

Best answer selected by intel1502.
m
l
!