GTX 480 EVGA vs. MSI

CommStarr

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Hi I just finished reading the Marathon $2000 Sept. build. I was wondering what the community thought about EVGA GeForce GTX 480 SuperClocked+ w/ High Flow Bracket and Backplate compared to the Msi GTX 480 that is listed in the article.

The price difference is ~$20, the evga has 26Mhz faster gpu, the memory clock speed is about 100MHz faster. But what I've been trying to find out is that EVGA is supposely a true openGL 4.0 while everything else is 3.2 including the MSI listed. Is this true and is this a big difference since the 4xx series was suppose to be 4.0? Also is worth the extra $20?

MSI Globals site for the 480 card

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodvgaspec&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=716&cat3_no=&prod_no=2040

EVGA site for the 480 card. The openGL is listed under features page.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1485-AR&family=GeForce 400 Series Family&sw=

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I'm pretty sure the eVGA is also openGL 3.2 unless you can direct me to an article stating otherwise.

When buying a graphics card, I always go for the cheapest one since a factory overclock isn't a big deal to me as I can overclock it myself. However, I'm a fan of eVGA and their warranty offers. So, if you're going to drop a bunch of cash on the card anyway, I'd go with the eVGA superclock just because eVGA has a great warranty and great customer service. And from what I've heard, MSI's customer service is pretty bad.

EDIT: Figured it out. All new gen cards support opengl 4.0.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
For twenty bucks, why not? But the gains from the high flow stuff is minimal - just look it up - people have tested it and it doesn't help out that much - the speed rating difference... also fairly neglegable

Whats most important is evgas sick warranty

Also the drivers will determine what version of opengl will be accelerated - some cards may be packaged with drivers that were older or something...

CommStarr

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I know its rather trival but it just a discrepancy that I have notice in doing my research. Also thank you for califying that it is a driver issue not an hardware issue like DirectX11 compare to older versions.