Sign in with
Your question

Could use a good advice (about to buy)

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2010 8:49:00 AM

Hi there,

My personal computer needs are gaming and some video editing.

I have taken advice on the '' high end intel '' and '' budget intel '' system posts and I have come to this build :

CPU : Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU : CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX
Case : Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
CPU cooler : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
GPU : SLI (2x) - EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
HDD : stern Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
DVD-RW : 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
RAM : CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9

I was about to buy this setup until i realise that the motherboard doesnt says anywhere it supports 1600 ram. Tho i took this part from the ''most voted build'' from the high end intel system from this forum...

So what do you guys suggest about this small problem... Change the motherboard or change the ram ?

Im pretty much buying everything from Newegg.ca . I would really appreaciate any feedback about this build. Any comments about the ram issue are welcome. I also wonder if the i7-950 will overclock well with that cooler...

Thanks for your time, i really apreciate !

Will

note : sorry for my bad english !

More about : good advice buy

a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2010 9:01:42 AM

1. no change for both RAM and Mobo is necessary. No problems at all.

2. No need to go Win7 x64 Ultimate, x64 home premium should be more than enough.

3. I prefer to get the new HD6850 better than GTX460. HD6850 is more power efficient and slightly better than GTX460.

4. I have never really used CM Hyper 212 Plus, so, I leave this for someone lese to comment.

5. Get an SSD if you still have some room in your budget. OCZ Vertex 2, G.Skill Phoenix Pro, and Crucial C300 are good.

BTW :
What is the main purpose of this rig? Gaming?
For gaming, you don't need i7 950, i5 760 or X4 965 should be more than enough. With the price difference, spend more on GPU and/or SSD.
October 26, 2010 9:52:59 AM

@guanyu Tkx for your early anwser!

1. RE : You are sure the mobo will be able to clock this ram at the proper speed (i dont want some kind of "not-compatible issue")

2. RE : Thanks for making me notice this. (+85$ in ma pockets)

3. RE : The GTX460 seem to scale very well in SLI according to Toms'review or recent articles. I must say that i have had some kind of bad experience with my past 2 comps using ati cards. Tho the HD 6850 seems to be less expensive. What ''brand'' would you trust ?

5. For the SSD drive, i know it could highly benefit for gaming, but i cant afford what im looking for at the moment... i rather wait for significant price drop.

When looking at a build like the one stated on 1st post, what would you consider (theorically) being the bottleneck ?

I was thinking maybe i should swap the gtx460 sli for a single gtx480. Thing is im between '' the performance brought by the gtx460 now and the possibility to upgrade to a gtx480 sli setup in the future...

For the i7 processor, i seen that it is easy to overclock around 4ghz or something with that heatsink. But i wonder if the hyperthreading will ''reduce'' the performance for gaming... the difference between the i7 950 and the i5 760 is only 100$ and i had a good combo for the i7 procesor and mobo...

At what ''size'' does the ssd becomes valuable ? I mean to make an overall performance diff

a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2010 11:44:24 AM

1. No problems at all. DDR3 1600 will work just fine. Just don't forget to enable X.M.P. Profile1 for the memory in the bios.

3. I have used both nVidia and ATI, no problem with any of them so far. I trust HIS, XFX, Gigabyte, Shappire, MSI, and ASUS for ATI GPUs especially towards Shappire and HIS.

5. The only benefit during gaming for using a SSD is only the loading speed like maps loading, etc. No improvement in any kind to frame per second.

The idea to use a single GTX480 instead if 2xGTX480 is better. This way you can use 2xGTX480 in the future. I trust eVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, XFX, MSI, Club3D, Sparkle, and Zotac for ATI GPUs but especially toward eVGA.
For 2xGTX480, can you increase the PSU to at least 850-1000W? 750W is a little tight or might be not enough for 2xGTX480.

i7 950 is definitely more powerful than i5 760, go get it if you can still afford it.
i7 950 could be an overkill at the moment but it is also about having a system that can last longer without any upgrades.

SSD can wait if you don't want it right now, you can consider and
add it anytime later.
You will need about 60-100GB SSD, adjust to your budget. More than 100GB is still a bit too expensive at the moment.
!