High Performance Gaming Rig

xavienkenny

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hello dear forumers, this is my first time posting in tomshardware. Recently, I'm looking forward to build a new high performance gaming rig and I have been doing a lot of research on my own. However, I'm a bit unsure about the specs of the pc that I'm building.

This is the specs that I was planning to build.

motherboard - gigabyte x58A-UD7
processor - intel i7- 950 3.06 ghz
graphic - HIS 6970 2GB DDR5
RAM - TR3X6G1600C8D Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) 1600mhz DDr3 Dominator DHX 8-8-8-24
hard disk - System Storage (OS) wd raptor 150G
hard disk - secondary (storage) - wd caviar green 2TB
Bluray combo - LG / pioneer
chasis - GIGABYTE' SUMO 5112 BLACK FULL TOWER CASE
power supply - Unsure

I was building the specs according to some pricelist provided by the local computer shops in Melbourne. Then i found out that, the stuff they were selling were outdated after reading about i7 Intel 2600K, and most of the review comes with +ve feedbacks. More than that, the new SSD has also been proven better than WD Raptor (i am judging by reading most comment from the forums, do excuse me if I am wrong).

I would like to seek some professional opinions to build a new specs for my rig. Even the thread title proposed that i'm seeking for High performance Gaming Rig, i would most probably be using it for High end gaming (Crysis/crysis 2, etc) and programming (i'm a junior web developer and designer). I'm looking forward to install Windows 7 64 bits which im looking forward to have 6 to 8GB RAM.

My budget is below AUD3000 which include a 24 inch LED Monitor. I have not look into what kind of monitor to purchase. I am completely outdated with computer hardware. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers~

Solution

12GB kit? Not for dual-channel like Sandy Bridge. Just get one 8GB kit and one 4GB kit.

And yes...
Hard drive, not much of a factor in gaming especially since you will be getting a fast one nayway. Samsung Spinpoint may be a good pick for you also, they are very fast, and cheaper than the raptors for much more capacity. For a good monitor, you can't go wrong with a Dell UtraSharp series, they constantly get the highest reviews and are also a bit cheap at times with rebates/dell discounts online.

I would stay away from the WD Green, although OK for storage, if you end up doing stuff like video editing/encoding, you will be better off with a Black or Media series. Or another Spinpoint. That's about all my suggestions, have not looked at any new CPus enough to compare them.

festerovic

Distinguished
I suggest a corsair 750 or greater for a power supply. They are a pretty good brand, and 750 watts will leave you room for growth (other GPU, etc) and OC ( i assume you will OC as your part lists is really high end). If no OC consider a lesser mobo for savings.

For bluray drive, get a pioneer, the LGs have less compatibility IME. I have 50+ pioneer BR drives and 6 LGs.

If you go with 2600 chip, you will need to spec a new mobo for the different socket, I believe.

Intel Core i7-2600
Asus P8P67 Pro or Deluxe
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1600
HIS 6970 2GB
Corsair Force 120GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Whatever Blu-ray combo
Whatever case you like

Power supply:
Silverstone ST75F-P 750W
PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS760 760W
Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M 775W
or 650/675W versions of those...

xavienkenny

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hi, thanks for the awesome feedbacks. However, im looking forward to get a modular PSU, i guess i will be picking Silverstone ST75F-P 750W.

Im not going to OC my set, i do not know how to OC (sorry for my noob). However, Looking at a long run, do you guys recommend me to OC my system?

I'm looking BenQ or LG for monitors. The Dell Ultra Sharp seems to have quite a high response time. Shouldn't it be the lower the better?

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Do not go with the i7-950. With SB released, it's put to shame with the 2500(k). Just get an SB and any p67

EDIT: oops just looked at umart and msy (yes im Aussie) and realised that neither of them have the unlocked SBs in stock. Sorry but you're gonna have a hard time finding them I think

xavienkenny

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
hey mate, nar, not gona get 950 at all. There is this shop that could do imports for hardware, so i'm kinda seeking for help to get the right specs, seems like i have most of it right now.

Btw, why Asus? most of my friends is having problem with Asus product especially Motherboard. I'm using a Asus LCD which is causing me problems too. I've only use it for less than 3 years.

I did saw a lots of good review for it, but my personal experience tells me otherwise.

However, i'm still no expect in this because i'm judging on a different concept of experience. Do you guys still think Asus is a good mobo? or Gigabyte?

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Well Asus are just well known for making very high quality and perfomance motherboards (they OC better than other mobos) so it is no question that alot of people recommend their products.
While saying so, I doubt that you will have any trouble with other manufacturers such as Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, etc... I have personally owned a Gigabyte motherboard and an EVGA and have had absolutely no trouble with either of them. So I guess it comes down to your personal experience - you had troubles with Asus products and know that your friends also had, then don't go for the brand.

BTW could you tell me which shop it is?

MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus would be my top three manufacturer choices. If you've had problems with Asus, then grab a Gigabyte or MSI.

My new build will feature an ASRock P67 Pro3 mainboard. I was recently informed that ASRock is a more budget-oriented member of the ASUStek family. As I'm not going to be a power-overclocker (I'll push it, but not far) with this system and I won't do SLI/CF, the budget-enthusiast Pro3 board will do just fine.

It's okay, this is an enthusiast site where a fairly large percentage of people do overclock, so we just assume that others will as well. We do it because it's fun, kind of a power-trip thing, and because we can get much more performance out of a cheaper CPU or graphics card.

You'll have plenty of power at stock speeds for today's and tomorrow's games, so you'll be set for years to come. No need to overclock.

xavienkenny

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
sorry for the late reply, just got back from an exam. Was pretty wicked, anyway, thanks for the reply guys.

@linh6496, im looking at msy & cpl, there's another shop in Melbourne, La Trobe Street & Swanston Street. Its located next to the Musical Instruments shop. If you able to show them where you get your prices from, they will match it for you. Pretty sweet huh? Btw, msy has the new 2600k chip, and its cheaper than 950!

@malmental, sweet table, but, it doesnt have the specs that im really looking for..?

@Leaps-from-Shadows, yea, i'm kinda phobia with asus product, i've been using gigabyte mobo for many years and they work really well. I am deciding to X-Fire right now, by changing the 6970 to 6950 x 2. It seems to be a better value for price and performance.

@dadiggle, lol that seems to be a bit overwhelm for 40". but im looking for 2ms set.

@Leaps-from-shadows, yea, i believe so too.

atm im planning to get,

Processor : Intel i7 2600k (even though 2500 is better in gaming, but im using for other purposes as well).
Motherboard : GA-P67A-UD7
RAM :G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (is there any 12GB KIT?)
Primary System Drive : Corsair Force 120GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
LG Blu-ray combo (i dont use it that often, cheaper, better)
Gigabyte Sumo (i own a Gigabye Aurora, i never had any problem with dust inside my CPU for a year, one of the best casing I've ever owned)
2 x HIS HD6950 2GB.

Can i still use the psu u suggested to me if i use this set?
Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M 775W <--

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

oh yea thanks mate!

12GB kit? Not for dual-channel like Sandy Bridge. Just get one 8GB kit and one 4GB kit.

And yes, the Toughpower XT 775W power supply will be good enough for that CF setup. It's rated at 775W continuous and testers have peaked it at around 920W. The only bad thing about it is the color.

Shaping up to be a very nice machine that should kick butt and take names for quite a while.

Solution

xavienkenny

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
@Melmental, erm thanks for the reference, but i don't think i'll need a physic card, since i'll xfire my graphics, it wouldnt make much different for me, especially i'll be focusing on software physic more. But i like the recommendation on the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 +, definitely adding that in to my pc, i was looking for a cpu. However, my friends told me that it is not advisable to get a cpu cooler, because most cpu cooler than comes along is sufficient enough.

@Linh6496, no prob ;)

@leaps-from-shadows, Hahaha, yea i guess the cons will be on the color, but, i guess i'll be staring on the screen more than the PSU! :D anyway, thanks for the help man, i appreciate it, i'm gonna get it done next week. Now just have to look for the right LED monitor. Looking for 24 inch, 2ms specs, hmm.

Thanks for all the help guys ;)