64 Bit Home or Pro

herboren

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I read a few articles that there is a minimum to the that is read from memory and cpu that the 32 bit OS will see, I know I need a 64 Bit so windows can read my memory and processor correctly. I wouldn't have any problems with Windows 7 Home reading 8gigs or memory and my quad core fusion would I?

I really don't think I need a professional OS when all I will be doing is gaming and saving my documents and pictures. I just want to be able to afford windows and have it read my hardware correctly. Would that be a good suggestion?

My board supports 32gb of Ram, but will only be using 16gb for the time being. And I have a bulldozer quad core running at 3.6Ghz

Or unless anyone knows where I can score a legit version of Windows 7 Pro for cheap that would be great cause I know the max supported Physical memory is 192GB

The difference in Pro and Home is the Professional version has better support for networking and enhanced back up features for backing up and restoring over a network, and it also allows you to download and run XP mode for certain business applications that "may" require XP. ( as time goes on, this feature is needed less and less, its almost completely useless anymore)

Basically in a nutshell, Home version is all most people will ever need. Don't waste your money on the Professional version unless you absolutely think you need those features.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

herboren

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I am currently on XP Pro right now. I don't whink I will have user for Virtual mode. I don't have any outdated applications that I use so were safe on that zone. I do have 3 laptops that are network in my home but I not for business, I just monitor usage and keep them running for the family.

no, you cannot 'upgrade' as in purchase an upgrade version and hope that everything will work. You should purchase a full version, reformat, and then reload all of your programs. I have run win7 successfully on everything from an old Pentium 3, to an Atom based netbook, to a mainstream PC with an SSD (favorite windows expierence yet!), to my new monster build. It will run on just about anything so long as you have a minimum of 1GB of ram.

Also, there are many myths about what home and pro will do. The only practical difference is that pro will let you be added to a domain, letting a server dictate the policies on your computer, and home will not. There is a comparability mode in home (though not as robust as the pro version, it has worked for me), and you can backup on a network just fine if you use windows home server. And what someone said about pro having better multimedia features is a bunch of crock, they run the same version of WMP, and have the same underlying software for handling multimedia, and XBMC will work equally well on both if that is your thing.

You can use the upgrade version, or the OEM version.
(1) Bear in mind that the OEM version is tied to the MB that it is initially installed on. You can not move it to a new Bother board, Unless the old MB dies (legally). Some do, ie if required to call MS to activate they state the old MB went to MB heaven - truew or not.
(2) If use the upgrade version, or the OEM version you will have to do a "Clean" install.