How do i reformat the HD i have pulled from my iomega nas?

Hello,
I need to reformat the drive to NTFS to use it as a normal USB external drive in a new enclosure. The drive is a 1TB SATA seagate pulled from a iomega home network nas that i think has a problem with the circuit board/interface NOT the actuall drive and I do not care about saving any data on the drive itself prior to reformat. I have plugged it into my windows machine via a USB adapter until the new enclosure arrives but the windows machine does not recognise it and the drive seems to be constantly attempting to boot or looking for a system to boot into(i.e. the NAS hardware)
I thought it would be an easy reformat and egt on with it but obviously the XFS? filesystem ( i think it has XFS from other answers o this forum) seems to be a stumbling block.
Can anyone suggest a way for me to access the drive and format it for use with windows?
2 answers Last reply
More about reformat pulled iomega
  1. Have you Tried to Plug It Internally? Plug it Internally and Windows Should Recognize it and Format it Using The Drive Manager.
  2. No i haven't tried that yet. I will also try something someone else has said about reformatting a drive to use again using SUSElinux live cd. I must admit i am a complete linux Noob, and know almost nothing about linux. My brother bought me a raspberry Pi fo xmas so i suppose I should learn!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage