Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How do i reformat the HD i have pulled from my iomega nas?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2013 6:51:43 AM

Hello,
I need to reformat the drive to NTFS to use it as a normal USB external drive in a new enclosure. The drive is a 1TB SATA seagate pulled from a iomega home network nas that i think has a problem with the circuit board/interface NOT the actuall drive and I do not care about saving any data on the drive itself prior to reformat. I have plugged it into my windows machine via a USB adapter until the new enclosure arrives but the windows machine does not recognise it and the drive seems to be constantly attempting to boot or looking for a system to boot into(i.e. the NAS hardware)
I thought it would be an easy reformat and egt on with it but obviously the XFS? filesystem ( i think it has XFS from other answers o this forum) seems to be a stumbling block.
Can anyone suggest a way for me to access the drive and format it for use with windows?

More about : reformat pulled iomega nas

February 4, 2013 7:15:17 AM

Have you Tried to Plug It Internally? Plug it Internally and Windows Should Recognize it and Format it Using The Drive Manager.
February 4, 2013 9:18:47 PM

No i haven't tried that yet. I will also try something someone else has said about reformatting a drive to use again using SUSElinux live cd. I must admit i am a complete linux Noob, and know almost nothing about linux. My brother bought me a raspberry Pi fo xmas so i suppose I should learn!