Solved

Budget Gaming PC

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to build my own computer for gaming purposes. However, it's my first time. Please help.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-3 months

Budget Range: 20,000-25,000 Peso currency

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (DotA1/2, SC2, Korean MMORPG and perhaps some hardcore ones from time to time), watching live streams (NBA or DotA/SC2), Movies, Music, Internet browsing, Adobe Photoshop.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers & OS. Will be re-using an old Diamond Evolution AVR 500w (8yrs old).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Catalog&Pricelist

Country of Origin: Ph

Parts Preferences: Core i5 with Asus MOBO but I'm open to other opinions.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes. A year or two from now.

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768. Really I have no idea what's good for gaming.

Additional Comments: I'm trying to build this PC around an Core i5 processor. I have already reached my budget with the parts below. I could stretch it a bit, or if not... well, bye bye i5, hello (insert lower model name here).

I'm pretty worried about it's perfomance so any feedbacks will be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see price list above.

MOBO: Asus P7H55-V V/S/GL/ddr3
PROCESSOR: INTEL CORE i5 760 2.8 LGA1156
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm SATA
RAM: 4gb (2x) Kingston 2GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333
GRAPHICS CARD: Powercolor HD5570 1GB DDR3 128bit DVI/HDMI

Questions:
1. Are all parts compatible?
2. Do I need both PSU and AVR for this?
3. If so, what kind of PSU do I need?
4. Is this build already capable for future upgrades?
5. Is the graphics card enough?
6. Is sound card a necessity? I mean does it make any difference when playing/playing music?
7. What else do I need?

Thanks in advance!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget gaming
  1. Best answer
    For a gaming PC, more than the CPU, GPU is important...
    For a budget gaming PC, here is a config -

CPU - AMD Tri-Core - AMD Athlon II X3 4xx - This would cost slightly higher than the X2 255 and cheaper than the X4

Mobo - Asus M4A88T-M AMD 880G/DDR3/A/V/GBLAN

RAM - Kingston would be fine, but check for Corsair or GSKillz

GPU - With the money saved on the CPU, get the ATI HD 5770

PSU - A quality 450W+ PSU from Corsair/ Seasonic/ Silverstone/ OCZ/ Antec/ Cooler Master Silent PRO or Real Power series
  2. At the moment, I'm still trying to squeeze the budget so I can build something around an Core i5. However, as a back up plan, I have an AMD build that looks like that, though I chose X4. Is there any significant difference between them? For the PSU, we don't have those kind of brands. The best that I could get is Gigabyte (costly).

Thanks for that gkay09!
  3. ^ If gaming is the main concern, then I wouldnt bother spending on the CPU much...like I said, the X3 offers very good performance...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-gaming-performance,2619.html

PSU - Gigabyte Superb 450W+ would be needed if you want to run the PC without any issues(with a powerful graphic card like HD 5750 or above) else you would run into issues like -
    - bad 3D performance
    - crashing games
    - spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
    - freezing during gameplay
    - PSU overload can cause it to break down
  4. I get your point. Though as a student, I don't have the resources to change my PC once every couple of years. 5 yrs could be the minimum time, so before if I switch to an AMD built CPU, will it last? Does X3 440 capable of future upgrades? Like what I've been reading on this website, SLI/Xfire? Estimate lifespan?

The reason why I ask is because I've been using an Intel CPU for a decade now. I'm used to it and AMD is fairly new to my ears. Read couple of articles bout it, but haven't really experience anything.
  5. ^ AMD has been in the market for many years now,...
    And there are many Quad-Core and 6-Core CPUs which you can drop on to the AM3 boards...
    But if you are planning to keep the PC for a long time, then get the Phenom II X4 955,...would save you a bit compared to the i5...
    Like I said, for a gaming PC, GPU is more important than the CPU...
  6. Any overheating issues with AMD processors? Someone told me that it overheats faster than Intel if used for gaming like 15-24 hours.

Okay, so I'm a bit decided now. If budget is not enough for i5, I'll take the AMD way.
  7. ^ No, if the case is well ventilated, then you wont face any heat issues...
  8. Any recommendation for fans/coolers/casing? No need for UPS, right?

http://www.pcgilmore.com.ph/downloads/pricelist_legalsize.pdf

Really have no idea on those things.
  9. Case - Aerocool VS 9 might be a good cheap option...

UPS - It would depend upon your location - If frequent power cuts and lot of power fluctuations, then getting an UPS would be a good idea...
  10. Thanks gkay! Appreciate the help.
  11. hey im from the phil to, you also buy here it has more parts and cheaper to!

here's a much better config for gaming

cpu:AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0ghz 3x512kb--------------------------3,440

mobo:Asrock 880GM-LE AMD 880G ddr3-----------------------------3,050

ram: Team Elite 2gb ddr3-1333 pc3-10600 CL9 (9-9-9-2--------1,720

psu:HEC 500watts Raptor 500 power fan NON MODULAR psu---2,150

case:Antec 300AB advanced gamers Case, pure black edition---3,100

hdd:500gb Seagate™ 7200.12 16mb---------------------------------1,999

gpu: Inno3d GTX 460 1GB/256bit DDR5------------------------------9,490

total:24,949

i5 would not be suitable with your budget as gkay said. also he's right. games would depend on gpu more than the cpu. an athlon x3 is a good choice. just like the benchmarks has. and with that games a a midrange gpu would be good to go with a low bugdet.
  12. Oh and btw AMD has been around since 1969 =[
  13. xurwin said:
    hey im from the phil to, you also buy here it has more parts and cheaper to!

here's a much better config for gaming

cpu:AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0ghz 3x512kb--------------------------3,440

mobo:Asrock 880GM-LE AMD 880G ddr3-----------------------------3,050

ram: Team Elite 2gb ddr3-1333 pc3-10600 CL9 (9-9-9-2--------1,720

psu:HEC 500watts Raptor 500 power fan NON MODULAR psu---2,150

case:Antec 300AB advanced gamers Case, pure black edition---3,100

hdd:500gb Seagate™ 7200.12 16mb---------------------------------1,999

gpu: Inno3d GTX 460 1GB/256bit DDR5------------------------------9,490

total:24,949

i5 would not be suitable with your budget as gkay said. also he's right. games would depend on gpu more than the cpu. an athlon x3 is a good choice. just like the benchmarks has. and with that games a a midrange gpu would be good to go with a low bugdet.

With the things I've read, AMD processors are most compatible with ATI gpu's. True?

BTW, do they have a store in Gilmore?

@zooted: Est in 1969? Now, that's old.
  14. yes they have a shop at gilmore. thats where i buy. not that they are always compatible. it depends on the motherboard. intel and amd cpu have different sockets and motherboards has different chipsets. but a nvidia card can also be use. its not that amd=ati or intel=nvidia. try searching to learn a little more about this motherboards

try reading this and this
  15. Best answer selected by Zeeevil.
  16. Thanks to all who helped. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems