Need a Intel or AMD Multi-Core System

saram_786

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hi There,

I am fairly new to this site and am looking to build a second pc.

if it is intel i would like it to be a intel i5, i7 based unit.
or if it is a AMD a phenom ii 6-Core system.

I Just want to run by what i would want and see if anyone could make any recomendations or help me in anyway.

Motherboard: would need to support multicore cpu's obviously :) also would like to have SLI or Crossfire running. ( correct me if i dont make any sense)
RAM: 4-8GB DDR3, for sure.
CPU: i7, i5 or phenom.
PSU: Would Want It To Be A: Antec Or Corsair not sure how big it has to be (watts) thats for you guys to decide.
Graphics card: 1GB DDR3 HD 1080P (X2) not sure of exact model yet.
HardDrive: 500GB Samsung 7200RPM (I Have Right Now) And A 64GB SSD to run OS from.
Case: The Case i have already.
Would Like A Decent Card Reader.
DVD Drive: Have a samsung one already, i might upgrade to blu-ray.

I Know Its Alot To ask but i just want a upgrade from my current system specs below:

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
What do you want to do with it? What applications do you want to run? That's the important stuff to know along with a budget.

Up at the top of the forum is info on what to ask that helps folks help you.

If using a SSD with the SF-1200 Controller (Vortex-2 and Phoenix Pro) which are currently the faster SSDs (Will be replaced, I'm sure with newer Released Sata 6 SSDs) I would lean toward the INTEL platform. AMD currently have a performance issue in implementation of AHCI on their Southbridge. They have been aware of this for quite some time but have not resolved the problem. It appears that the Phoenix pro (probably true for Vortex-2) takes a 20->30% performance hit on amd based systems.

saram_786

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
ermm would want to run games like crysis 2, mw2, cod4 etc and watch tv would be doing some heavy gaming though

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hi saram, you don't need a hexacore system for gaming - not even close. In fact some applications will actually slow down with six cores.

What you need for now is an i5 7xx/i7 9xx (depending on your budget) for Intel or a Phenom II X4 9xx from AMD if you choose to go that way.

However you'll do well to wait out a few more weeks for both Intel & AMD to come out with their Sandy Bridge & Bulldozer respectively before you make a decision either way.

I had asked you to fill out that form in my previous post as it's important to tailor exact recommendations based on one's individual needs & not adopt a one-size-fits-all policy. What's good for the goose may not always be so for the gander.

There's more to building a computer than just assembling a bunch of compatible parts at a given price-point that just runs out of the box. Otherwise, we'll all just buy Dells (or HP's, Acers, Lenovos - you get the idea). So see if you can fill out that thing for your own good.

$967/727 HD 6870CF/Single HD 6870
Untitled-1750.jpg

HD 6k single/CF review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/8