Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2011 6:46:42 PM

1090T
4GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 RAM
GTX 460
7200RPM 320GB HD
850W TX Corsair PSU
Win7 64 Pro

Nothing is overclocked. Seems sluggish booting and when multitasking. Applications tend to freeze or hang for intervals, though CPU usage rarely gets very high -- occasionally I'll open it and it will spike to some high value, then drop. Task manager itself also seems sluggish if I have multiple things open, even if it's only browser tabs.

Sometimes (but very rarely) the screen will freeze/unfreeze and the mouse will skip around if I've had a bunch up for a long time. Memory usage is not maxed in task manager. Can't even seem to run an antivirus scan and do anything else at the same time.

Any ideas? Let me know if I'm leaving out any pertinent information.
January 20, 2011 6:53:16 PM

also Asrock 870 Extreme3 mbo from my last build is what I'm using now
m
l
January 20, 2011 7:06:13 PM

Not too old actually (within the last 2 years), but that's what I was thinking. It's fairly loud when it's being accessed. Anything else it could be?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 20, 2011 7:13:08 PM

Nope. I'll give that a shot tonight and post back tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2011 4:44:06 AM

When you defrag, try something better than the Windows defrag. I use the Auslogics software (free version). Before you go to bed, set it to Defrag and Optimize, then check the box to shut down your computer when it's complete. If you haven't defragged in a while, this might take some time. But optimizing will also rearrange system and programs files for faster access on the disk.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
m
l
January 21, 2011 4:36:30 PM

If you do not have a floppy disk then you should make sure that you have floppy disabled in your BIOS. This can make a difference if the machine thinks it has a floppy. (For example: Installation of windows 7 will make it pause for long periods of time and it takes forever to install until I figured this out... now it is fast.)

ALSO: When was the last time windows was reloaded? I find that after about 3 months Windows has a nasty habit of becoming slow. Especially if you update drivers and programs a lot. (I reload every 3-6 months... I have done that since Windows 3.0.)

You might also load up the free Piriform CCLEANER. It helps clean up garbage on your drive, but it also has a tab that can lets you monitor what loads on startup. (Better than msconfig.)
m
l
January 27, 2011 11:35:52 PM

Problem persists.

Defragged. No viruses/malware found. Tried CCleaner but the "Clean" button was permanently greyed out for whatever reason. Drive passes S.M.A.R.T. Read speeds seem to fluctuate but peak around 90mb/s. Could it be a video card issue? I'm RMAing my video card anyway over annoying (coil?) whine.

My CPU usage is literally *never* high. I purchased 4GB more RAM to see if that helps things, because Newegg was having a sale and I can't yet afford a boot SSD.

Some other things to note:

When ctrl-alt-del is pressed, sometimes the screen goes black before the menu shows up. Often times, taskmanager is also sluggish in loading. I really have no idea what's going on here. For what it's worth, it's a 640GB drive -- NOT 320GB, no idea why I put that. It's a WD6401AALS or something like that. It makes a lot of noise when accessed, but my drives have always done this.
m
l
January 28, 2011 2:19:31 AM

Already tried to no avail unfortunately.

Just now loading Chrome, 4 tabs open.. switch to second tab, the browser freezes. Start bar freezes. Ctrl-alt-del took nearly a minute to pop up, and only once Chrome unfroze. It does this randomly with other programs, too.

With a 1090T, what should I expect to be able to have open at once within reason?
m
l
January 28, 2011 2:36:25 AM

Just did 1 pass on all 9 tests, I'll run it overnight when I head to sleep. Thanks all for help, will post back tomorrow.
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
January 28, 2011 4:32:53 AM

larger/faster hard drive and more ram is what you need.
m
l
January 28, 2011 2:48:51 PM

I don't see how that could be the problem with a drive 80+% free and rarely more than 50% usage :(  I'm just going to try a reformat. Memtest ran all night with no errors.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2011 1:50:15 AM

Did you do a clean install of windows when you re-used your old board/hdd and other parts. I have a hunch that this might be the case.

m
l
January 29, 2011 6:38:31 PM

I think it would be best to completely reinstall windows. It's probably faster as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2011 6:58:32 PM

Get yourself a SSD (w/ sandforce preferably IMO) and never wait/load again! :) 

HDs are slow.
m
l
January 29, 2011 7:09:04 PM

It could just be a dodgy HDD. not a frag problem.
If it clicks or makes quiet high pitched noises, you have a problem.
Back up your files :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2011 8:57:21 PM

Quote:
ssd's are even faster with a pci-e add in card

SSDs are plenty fast with just SATA though. I don't see a need (at least for the vast majority of people) for a PCI-E add in card just for an SSD.
m
l
January 30, 2011 5:13:58 AM

Western Digital, but I ran their Lifeguard program and it came back healthy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2011 8:02:14 AM

Quote:
sure 4GB/s read and write speed aint that big gain over the 300 speeds of SATA

First, 4GB/s read and write is not something you'll get from any remotely affordable drive, even on PCI-E. Second, it actually isn't. A 300 MB/s SSD will launch most programs pretty much instantaneously, since one of the main limiting factors is access time, not sequential performance. Yes, a 4 GB/s drive will benchmark faster, but in terms of actual, noticeable performance, a standard SSD is fine.
m
l
!