Sign in with
Your question

Old HDD is recognised in bios, but not in OS

Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2013 11:30:03 AM

Hi,

I have had a 1TB seagate HDD for about 2 years as a secondary drive. When I turned on my PC yesterday it took a long time to start up, and the secondary drive had disappeared from windows 7 (not in My Computer, Disk Manager or Device Manager). I then checked in BIOS and it is recognised as a drive. Following advice from other threads, I booted into Partition Magic to see if it recognised the drive. In disk check, it showed up as a 1TB drive with the correct partition name and type, but refused t show in the file browser.

I would really like to recover the data from this drive is possible, however I am happy to reformat if required to get the drive working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Justin

More about : hdd recognised bios

February 4, 2013 11:51:17 AM

It could be a simple problem of not having a drive letter. Use disk manager if its in there and right click and select mark partition as active, if it still doesnt' show up right click again and click change drive letter and paths, if it shows no drive letter there click add and select a letter.

Just my 2 cents do with it what you will.
m
l
February 6, 2013 11:14:17 AM

Quote:
It could be a simple problem of not having a drive letter. Use disk manager if its in there and right click and select mark partition as active, if it still doesnt' show up right click again and click change drive letter and paths, if it shows no drive letter there click add and select a letter.

Thanks, but as I said in my original post, the drive is not listed in the device manager or the disk manager, only in BIOS.

I managed to get the drive working in another PC by using PartedMagic to fix some issues and copied all of my files over to another HDD. I then put the drive back in the original PC. It worked, however after an hour or so the drive started to get read errors and slowed down. I rebooted the computer and it was the same problem, recognized in BIOS but not under any menu in windows.

I placed the drive back in the second PC and it worked fine. I reformatted the drive and placed it back in the original PC, but the same problem occurs. I thought that it could be a problem with the MB, so I tried the drive in every SATA port available with no luck. I can probably rule out the PSU as I have the boot drive (and another drive I tested) running off the same string of cable, which I have also replaced.

Any help would be great, as I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem.
m
l
!