Specs:
Mobo: Asus P6X58D - Premium
CPU: Intel I7 930
Heat Sink: Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 fans in push/pull
Ram: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5970
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB

So my computer restarts randomly and its starting to happen more and more frequently. There is no BSOD or error. It seems to me that it does it most when idle but I've set it to run Prime95 and left for a few hours and its rebooted when I come home. The interesting thing is that after it reboots it cannot find the hard drive. I then have to cycle the power off and back on and it will boot again. No overclocks, the BIOS is set at stock setting. I tried a fresh install of win 7 and it didn't help. I've tried flashing the BIOS to the newest version and that did not help. I've tried changing the SATA port the HD is on and still no good. I'm thinking that my mobo is just crap but I wanted a second opinion before I run off and buy a new one.

Any ideas?

Oh also, every time it randomly restarts it will set my external HD as the boot drive in the bios. I can change it to the internal and it will work fine. However, every time, without fail, it changes it back when it craps out on me.

Thanks!

pkhannah

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Look, I've had nothing but problems with ASUS hardware and support -- My recommendation would be to ditch the motherboard and put in one that's going to do the job without failing -- if you do need to send it back for warranty repair, ASUS seems to have a bad habit of keeping it for months on end and returning it still dead...

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Ok so I just had my computer BSOD on me wile running a chkdsk /r. It went by too fast to me to see what it was. I have never had this much trouble with a build before. Now I don't know if its the mobo any more.

Anyone know what would make chkdsk bsod out?

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
WOOT UPDATE!

Ok so I had an old SATA1 raptor HDD that I put in my comp and put windows on it. Its been running for about 3 weeks and I haven't had any random restarts. So it seems that my problem may have been the hdd the whole time. Well that's a good excuse to get a sata 3 drive so I'm just going to buy a new one.

How I've run into another problem that I've seen running about on different sites. Now my computer won't come back from sleep.

Once put to sleep either by myself or just waiting for it to after being idle it will turn itself off, all the fans stop and the power light flashes at me. Correct me if I'm wrong but I though this was what it did during hibernate not sleep.

Anyway with I hit the keyboard to turn it back on it will spin up all the fans to 100% for about 1/2 a sec and then shut off. I've look on sites and seen that people were having problems with this but I never found a definite answer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!