Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-2500K VS. AMD 6950

Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2011 10:20:27 PM

Hello,

I am torn between two components. If I go with my intel build, I can get the 2500K and 6850. I I go AMD, I can go 955BE and 6950. Which one?

More about : 2500k amd 6950

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 20, 2011 10:30:40 PM

Title's a bit misleading, lol. It depends on what you're going to do with your computer. If you're gaming, a Phenom II X4 955 BE & Radeon HD 6950 would probably be suited better, should there be no CPU bottlenecks, which I wouldn't think so if the resolutions you play at are high enough.
m
l
January 20, 2011 10:33:27 PM

Lmeow said:
Title's a bit misleading, lol. It depends on what you're going to do with your computer. If you're gaming, a Phenom II X4 955 BE & Radeon HD 6950 would probably be suited better, should there be no CPU bottlenecks, which I wouldn't think so if the resolutions you play at are high enough.

Well at an HD monitor (1920x1080) I guess it would work well. OK. Its too bad though, SandyBridge was looking pretty nice...
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2011 10:43:52 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't waste my money on an X4 no matter if i could get an X4 and a 580. Get the faster processor.

Why?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 10:51:27 PM

Quote:
1. 2500K is a better gaming processor

Comparo :

X4 gets destroyed

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=288

You realize that your link showed the Phenom X4 extremely close to the 2500K in most games right? And at a lower, more CPU dependent resolution. Yeah, L4D2 had a nice lead with the 2500K, but its one of the few very CPU bound games, and both can take it well over a hundred FPS (uselessly high frame rates). The Far Cry 2 one makes no sense and I call BS. However, Crysis and Fallout 3 only get a marginal gain from the 2500K, which is more what you will see across the board.

Get the Phenom X4 and a 6950. Overclock the Phenom X4 and enjoy all the performance an i5, i7, or SB can give you in gaming.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 20, 2011 10:58:16 PM

wigglerthefish said:
Hello,

I am torn between two components. If I go with my intel build, I can get the 2500K and 6850. I I go AMD, I can go 955BE and 6950. Which one?

Snag a dual-BIOS HD6950 and flash to an HD6970.

Snicker (or chortle) at the Intel Fanboys with the 2500Ks and 6850s -- and have a better motherboard to 'boot' with more cash in your pocket, too.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:00:44 PM

AMW1011 said:
You realize that your link showed the Phenom X4 extremely close to the 2500K in most games right? And at a lower, more CPU dependent resolution.

Get the Phenom X4 and a 6950. Overclock the Phenom X4 and enjoy all the performance an i5, i7, or SB can give you in gaming.

They both can OC pretty well. I agree completely, and the difference is negligible seeing the price difference. Besides, I can't tell the difference between 80 and 90 fps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:05:32 PM

Quote:
Close? Maybe in that comparo but in more cpu intensive games...

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png

I don't think he really cares too much about maxing out WoW. A 5770 and an Athlon X4 will do that already.

In most games (read: not Civilization 5), there really isn't much of an advantage with the 2500K over a Phenom X4 compared to:

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:09:38 PM

Quote:
Fanboy's? More like the smart ones who don't waste money on amd's shitty processors.

I've seen it time and time again over many forums. People buy an X6 then complain after they put it together how they thought 6 cores was better then 4 and how can intel's quad core beat there 6 core. Amd isn't worth the money.

Also OP.. You can always go with a 2500K and a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or a 5850 for 179.99 after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Psycho, that has nothing to do with this. Yes idiots will buy a 6-core, and expect it to scale perfectly, but that has no baring on this situation.

Also you calling them shitty, kills any form of respect I have for your opinion or credibility on the matter. That is more than biased, it is simply stupid. Your not stupid, so don't say stupid things.

Quote:
He really didn't state what games he played... OP what games do you play? :lol: 

Still think going with an X4 is a waste of money with sandy bridge out there.

BTW - Before i'm branded a fanboy by anyone else. I had an X6 at 4.2Ghz with a 3Ghz NB and it absolutely blew which is why i jumped to intel.

Please remember he has not stated his country, or place of purchase. We should only assume by his own word on what he can buy and what he cannot.

However, he IS only worried about games that can't be maxed with the inferior hardware (Phenom X4 and 6850), those that already are maxed by those have no baring on the discussion, unless he is heavily invested in some form of non-gaming application, which he has stated that he is not.

Sandy Bridge does nothing for gamers. Anyone with a nice Phenom II X4 or i5 quadcore and above will see no real world improvement from a Sandy Bridge processor.

I know your not a fanboy, but you've already made very foolish statements.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:20:28 PM

AMW1011 said:
Psycho, that has nothing to do with this. Yes idiots will buy a 6-core, and expect it to scale perfectly, but that has no baring on this situation.

Also you calling them shitty, kills any form of respect I have for your opinion or credibility on the matter. That is more than biased, it is simply stupid. Your not stupid, so don't say stupid things.

Please remember he has not stated his country, or place of purchase. We should only assume by his own word on what he can buy and what he cannot.

However, he IS only worried about games that can't be maxed with the inferior hardware (Phenom X4 and 6850), those that already are maxed by those have no baring on the discussion, unless he is heavily invested in some form of non-gaming application, which he has stated that he is not.

Sandy Bridge does nothing for gamers. Anyone with a nice Phenom II X4 or i5 quadcore and above will see no real world improvement from a Sandy Bridge processor.

I know your not a fanboy, but you've already made very foolish statements.

I just want to play fps like bfbc2 and crysis. Maybe WoW later, but I'm not an extreme enthusiast.

@physcosaysdie: Also, vulgar language shows that you have a low vocabulary, just don't make yourself seem stupid please.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:24:35 PM

wigglerthefish said:
I just want to play gps like bfbc2 and crysis. Maybe WoW later, but I'm not an extreme enthusiast.

@physcosaysdie: Also, vulgar language shows that you have a low vocabulary, just don't make yourself seem stupid please.

Well I wouldn't worry about any system in your price range maxing out WoW. :lol: 

Also in Psycho's defense, it is a widespread misconception around the forums when it comes to Sandy Bridge's "greatness". In honesty, its the most exciting CPU release in a long time so most enthusiasts are a bit too enthusiastic in their praise.

Also, I can assure you that Psycho tends to be very well spoken and is a valued member of this community. His opinion on this matter does seem a bit biased, but he is merely stating the general misconception that is being spread. I gotta give him his credit when it is due.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:31:20 PM

AMW1011 said:
Well I wouldn't worry about any system in your price range maxing out WoW. :lol: 

Also in Psycho's defense, it is a widespread misconception around the forums when it comes to Sandy Bridge's "greatness". In honesty, its the most exciting CPU release in a long time so most enthusiasts are a bit too enthusiastic in their praise.

Also, I can assure you that Psycho tends to be very well spoken and is a valued member of this community. His opinion on this matter does seem a bit biased, but he is merely stating the general misconception that is being spread. I gotta give him his credit when it is due.

Yeah I got excited too and tried to compile a completely new build under $1000. I just want the best for what my money can buy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:32:57 PM

That's going to be a sick computer, you should be extremely happy with it. Make sure to get a quality PSU for it, though I'm sure you already know that.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:37:24 PM

AMW1011 said:
That's going to be a sick computer, you should be extremely happy with it. Make sure to get a quality PSU for it, though I'm sure you already know that.

Which one did we decide on?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:39:32 PM

I highly recommend the Phenom X4 and the 6950. It will serve you the best in todays and tomorrows demanding games.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:44:46 PM

AMW1011 said:
I highly recommend the Phenom X4 and the 6950. It will serve you the best in todays and tomorrows demanding games.

Sounds good. Btw, can I unlock the cores in the 6950 and not clock it to 6970 speeds?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:49:00 PM

I've heard that the reference 6950s have dual BIOS so that you can. I also heard that its really easy, but I'm not completely sure. You should head on over to Overclock.net and look in the ATI section, I'm sure there is a guide and some great discussions on the matter there.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:53:19 PM

AMW1011 said:
I've heard that the reference 6950s have dual BIOS so that you can. I also heard that its really easy, but I'm not completely sure. You should head on over to Overclock.net and look in the ATI section, I'm sure there is a guide and some great discussions on the matter there.

What kind of psu would I need to run the, in xfire? I'm thinking 750 W, but would a 650w work (seasonic or corsair).
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2011 11:58:12 PM

wigglerthefish said:
What kind of psu would I need to run the, in xfire? I'm thinking 750 W, but would a 650w work (seasonic or corsair).

I'd probably edge more towards an 850w. They aren't much more in terms of price, and it will give you plenty of head room for unlocking 2 6950s to 2 6970s and overclocking. Anything from Corsair (TX, HX, or AX series), Antec (not basiq), Seasonic, or XFX will serve you fine.
m
l
January 21, 2011 1:05:27 AM

AMW1011 said:
I'd probably edge more towards an 850w. They aren't much more in terms of price, and it will give you plenty of head room for unlocking 2 6950s to 2 6970s and overclocking. Anything from Corsair (TX, HX, or AX series), Antec (not basiq), Seasonic, or XFX will serve you fine.

Ok. (there goes my under $1000 budget =) )
m
l
January 21, 2011 2:25:55 AM

Quote:
Crossfire with that cpu on 1980 resolutions? How you know how to overclock and you better look for aftermarket cooling or switch to 2560 resolution

Crossfire + learning to OC = later when I have more money and time!
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 21, 2011 10:38:30 AM

Psycho? Is that you?

As wonderful as the thought of a 2xHD6970 2GB may be, a single card will be one potent sum beach for the foreseeable future. Keeping the 'PowerTune' setting at a reasonable level and it's sure to be worth a good bit of money in a year or so.

You could sell the card (will certainly continue to be great CF value) and get some good cash - put it toward a new 28nm card.

If you only need to push a single HD6970-like card a 650w PSU should be fine (and nicely handle a new 28nm card in 2012).

It's worth a thought to save some cash for future goodness to keep that train a rollin'. An 870 motherboard and you have saved some more.

When you upgrade that video card, might be a good time to move everything over to a AM3+ motherboard. :heink: 

minitron815 said:
Wait in what is Sandy Bridget and Fail II X4/6s even close in?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/186?vs=288

AMD gets demolished across the board...

If the i5 750/760 spanked Fail II X4/6s, then you retards are delusional to think it's even comparable to Sandy bridge.

AMD is only good for core unlocks and upgrading old AM2 sockets...

Psycho? Is that you?
m
l
January 21, 2011 12:51:38 PM

Wisecracker said:
Psycho? Is that you?

As wonderful as the thought of a 2xHD6970 2GB may be, a single card will be one potent sum beach for the foreseeable future. Keeping the 'PowerTune' setting at a reasonable level and it's sure to be worth a good bit of money in a year or so.

You could sell the card (will certainly continue to be great CF value) and get some good cash - put it toward a new 28nm card.

If you only need to push a single HD6970-like card a 650w PSU should be fine (and nicely handle a new 28nm card in 2012).

It's worth a thought to save some cash for future goodness to keep that train a rollin'. An 870 motherboard and you have saved some more.

When you upgrade that video card, might be a good time to move everything over to a AM3+ motherboard. :heink: 

Psycho? Is that you?

Well, I see your point, but I have seen the sad people selling 5xxx series on eBay. That is what will happen to me.
m
l
January 21, 2011 1:11:48 PM

My original plan was to build my my rig, wait for the price of the 6970 to drop, crossfire, wait a gen or 2 , then upgrade my mobo, CPU, and gpu.

What about the 1055t? Instead of the 955BE?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2011 2:03:10 PM

I'd get the i5 2500K and a good motherboard - that is easily a 7-year investment for the core of a gaming platform, and all you'd need to upgrade then are the GPUs if you really start to get low frame rates.
m
l
January 21, 2011 5:24:06 PM

If you are a technocrat the SB K is the place to be. The biggy is how many teething troubles show up. Some motherboards are showing needs for tweaks, in use rather than benchmarks.
The greatest value of the SB K IS IT Smokes the overpriced INTEL CURRENT CHIPS.
iF YOU WANT TO GAME WITH KNOWN SOLUTIONS the AMD wins easy for the next year or two.
Remember you want "fully game capable" .... brag on your gaming not ?possibly? superior hardware.
Wait for the BETA Testing. I am seeing bragging numbers on SB K but not from players.
Anyone own SB AND PLAYING?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2011 6:06:03 PM

wigglerthefish said:
My original plan was to build my my rig, wait for the price of the 6970 to drop, crossfire, wait a gen or 2 , then upgrade my mobo, CPU, and gpu.

What about the 1055t? Instead of the 955BE?

The 955 is better for gaming as the 1055T shows no improvement with gaming.

LePhuronn said:
I'd get the i5 2500K and a good motherboard - that is easily a 7-year investment for the core of a gaming platform, and all you'd need to upgrade then are the GPUs if you really start to get low frame rates.

7... SEVEN years? 7 years ago the 3GHz Pentium 4 HT ruled the processor world. Are you telling me that, that CPU still games competitively?

You'd be lucky to get more than 3 years out of Sandy Bridge with overclocking.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2011 7:01:29 PM

AMW1011 said:

7... SEVEN years? 7 years ago the 3GHz Pentium 4 HT ruled the processor world. Are you telling me that, that CPU still games competitively?

Given that games are more and more GPU-based I would say yes. If you have a CPU that can sufficiently feed the cards you'll be OK.

I paired up my aging P4 Prescott with an AGP Radeon 3500 fairly recently and I'm still playing at half-decent settings. OK, I'm not playing Crisis but she's still good.

Bear in mind though that even though CPU technology has exploded in the past years, and will continue to do so, consider the usability factor: how many people on this forum said they were hanging on to Q6600s because they could still run top-end graphics cards? How many people on thus thread alone recommend the Phenom II even though the previous and current Core chips *** on them from a very great height?

Sandy Bridge is more powerful than a mainstream user could ever hope to fully utilise for years to come.

I stand by my statement and suggestion.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2011 10:44:39 PM

LePhuronn said:
Given that games are more and more GPU-based I would say yes. If you have a CPU that can sufficiently feed the cards you'll be OK.

I paired up my aging P4 Prescott with an AGP Radeon 3500 fairly recently and I'm still playing at half-decent settings. OK, I'm not playing Crisis but she's still good.

Your kidding right? so it can play HL2 on low to medium settings, sorry if I'm not all that impressed. You said that if he gets low on FPS he would only need to replace GPUs, which is nonsense considering how bottlenecked a modern GPU will be in 2014 on one of the processors, let alone 2018. Also note that a Q6600 at 3.4-3.6 GHz bottlenecks anything higher than a single GTX 480.

Your also making a generalization about the future of PC games and their hardware demand, which is silly considering in 7 years things will be very different.

Lastly, please remember that Sandy Bridge is, at best, 10% faster clock for clock over the older i5/i7 quadcores, and even less so in gaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2011 11:07:11 PM

Well actually I was running Source games on maximum settings with a 6800 Ultra, the only reason I dropped in the Radeon was because I got some new monitors and needed a bit more GPU grunt to maintain that quality at a higher resolution.

So sorry for having a differing opinion. I bow to you all; Sandy Bridge will be worthless in 3 years, the Phenom II is the *** hot CPU for gaming now and we can multi-GPU to our hearts content.

OP: you have a few suggestions here, go with the best your budget will allow.
m
l
January 22, 2011 12:56:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I want this rig to run as long as it can, because I don't have much money to upgrade. But seeing this, anything will be an improvement over my current system:

Athlon x2 @ 2.1GHz
4GB DDR2
HD Radeon 3200 (no dedicated mem?)
etc.

Oh and its a laptop. I've never had a quad core or had a pc running at 3GHz let alone 3.2 - 4GHz

I think I'll be fine either way, but I want more bang for my buck and right now its the better GPU (6950).
m
l
January 22, 2011 1:11:11 AM

Well, I am either getting a i7 2600K or the i5 2500K. I was going to sell my 5850. But the performance gains unless you crossfire, is a waste with the 6950. You can get a 5850 that is on almost par with a single 6950. for a great price. I am going to wait for the next series that has bigger improvements then these 6xxx series cards. But I would go with a new SB then these AMD CPU's
m
l
January 22, 2011 1:23:12 AM

ern88 said:
Well, I am either getting a i7 2600K or the i5 2500K. I was going to sell my 5850. But the performance gains unless you crossfire, is a waste with the 6950. You can get a 5850 that is on almost par with a single 6950. for a great price. I am going to wait for the next series that has bigger improvements then these 6xxx series cards. But I would go with a new SB then these AMD CPU's

Well I will crossfire in a year so...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 1:45:10 AM

Quote:
He really didn't state what games he played... OP what games do you play? :lol: 

Still think going with an X4 is a waste of money with sandy bridge out there.

BTW - Before i'm branded a fanboy by anyone else. I had an X6 at 4.2Ghz with a 3Ghz NB and it absolutely blew which is why i jumped to intel.

Yeah.. last time I was in this forum you had a Phenom II X6 processor.

But yeah... AMD is lagging far behind right now. Most benchmarks where a 955BE is close to any Intel i7 processor are those which are GPU bottlenecked.
I've stated that many times in the past. It seems people don't like hearing objective truths.

I would get the Intel processor and a 6850. Later on you can add another 6850 for Crossfire-X support (5970 performance). The Intel CPU will scale perfectly with those two GPUs while a 955BE will have a hard time keeping up with them both.
m
l
January 22, 2011 2:02:08 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Yeah.. last time I was in this forum you had a Phenom II X6 processor.

But yeah... AMD is lagging far behind right now. Most benchmarks where a 955BE is close to any Intel i7 processor are those which are GPU bottlenecked.
I've stated that many times in the past. It seems people don't like hearing objective truths.

I would get the Intel processor and a 6850. Later on you can add another 6850 for Crossfire-X support (5970 performance). The Intel CPU will scale perfectly with those two GPUs while a 955BE will have a hard time keeping up with them both.

Yeah that makes more sense. All I do though is play games, browse the web, and listen to music though. Maybe video, but really?
m
l
January 22, 2011 2:36:14 AM

Quote:
5970 memory suck at 2560 in a lot of games

We're not talking about the 5970...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 2:44:28 AM

It would be nice to have the 2GB VRAM (especially if you plan to crossfire down the road). That much raw processing power will last a while, though 1GB of ram is already starting to cause problems.
m
l
January 22, 2011 2:57:16 AM

Quote:
I know comparing it. this one would be good option

Radeon HD 6950 2GB
http://bit.ly/euvdzP

I've had that in my wishlist since I decided (?) on the 6950.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 4:11:40 AM

Quote:
Close? Maybe in that comparo but in more cpu intensive games...

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png

+1 Amd is just not doing to great lately... maybe pushing the bulldozer from 2010 to 2011 was a mistake they lost me as a customer i went with 2500k and 580 last night. And i prefer amd
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2011 4:21:21 AM

Quote:
Amd made the same mistake what nvidia made with the 295

Mistake? How is combining two GPUs on a single PCB and afterwards being able to claim you have the "best video card in the world" (based on raw numbers) a mistake? It's great for marketing.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2011 4:23:32 AM

cia24 said:
+1 Amd is just not doing to great lately... maybe pushing the bulldozer from 2010 to 2011 was a mistake they lost me as a customer i went with 2500k and 580 last night. And i prefer amd

I think they would prefer to lose you as a customer until your next upgrade than to have you buy a bulldozer they released too early with some serious bugs then because of it, lose faith in their company and tell everyone to stop buying their processors.
m
l
January 22, 2011 4:23:34 AM

cia24 said:

How would a 2500K and GTX 460 sound? (more budget conscious). Would it garner more performance/$ than s 2500K and a 6850?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2011 4:26:10 AM

wigglerthefish said:
How would a 2500K and GTX 460 sound? (more budget conscious). Would it garner more performance/$ than s 2500K and a 6850?

If so, not by much. However, the GTX460 certainly has a reputation for overclocking higher. In addition, you will get better performance in games that are programmed for Nvidia cards.
m
l
January 22, 2011 4:30:54 AM

enzo matrix said:
If so, not by much. However, the GTX460 certainly has a reputation for overclocking higher. In addition, you will get better performance in games that are programmed for Nvidia cards.

How would it SLI? Do you know if the SLI would beat a 6850 crossfire? (SLI VS. {new} crossfire scaling)
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2011 4:56:30 AM

AMW1011 said:

3 years should be easily done, if not longer. Unless your telling me a 3.2Ghz Phenom X4 or Q6600 can't play modern games, as those are roughly 3+ years old.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 5:07:32 AM

loneninja said:
3 years should be easily done, if not longer. Unless your telling me a 3.2Ghz Phenom X4 or Q6600 can't play modern games, as those are roughly 3+ years old.

How are those GTX 460s in SLI on that Q6600? Oh wait, they're bottlenecked. Dual GTX 460s can be slightly bottlenecked by a stock i5 750/i7 920 in some games.

Any processor can only remain relevant for about 3 years for bottlenecking starts to occur.
m
l
January 22, 2011 5:08:14 AM

loneninja said:

That sounds ok to me.
m
l
January 22, 2011 5:10:52 AM

Does anyone know a 6950 that will fit in the Raidmax quantum case? I know it can fit a 10.5 in card, maybe 11? I'm trying to find one that can fit in my case...
m
l
!