Solution

The 'new' crossfire scaling is very close to 100% (>90% in most cases).
I'm also going the i5 2500k + HD6850 route. Bought a HD6850 thinking about crossfiring it once I need it. I believe it's easier for the 6850 to have a price drop than it is for the gtx460 (which has already dropped a lot).

Also, think about it this way:
*With 2500k you won't be cpu bottlenecked in a long time. Even more so if you consider a light overclock to 4ghz once it starts laging (which is going to take quite a while).
*By going with the HD6850 (or GTX460 for that matter) and a P67 motherboard (which is also a must for oveclocking 2500k), you have...
Title's a bit misleading, lol. It depends on what you're going to do with your computer. If you're gaming, a Phenom II X4 955 BE & Radeon HD 6950 would probably be suited better, should there be no CPU bottlenecks, which I wouldn't think so if the resolutions you play at are high enough.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Well at an HD monitor (1920x1080) I guess it would work well. OK. Its too bad though, SandyBridge was looking pretty nice...

AMW1011

Distinguished
1. 2500K is a better gaming processor

Comparo :

X4 gets destroyed

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=288

You realize that your link showed the Phenom X4 extremely close to the 2500K in most games right? And at a lower, more CPU dependent resolution. Yeah, L4D2 had a nice lead with the 2500K, but its one of the few very CPU bound games, and both can take it well over a hundred FPS (uselessly high frame rates). The Far Cry 2 one makes no sense and I call BS. However, Crysis and Fallout 3 only get a marginal gain from the 2500K, which is more what you will see across the board.

Get the Phenom X4 and a 6950. Overclock the Phenom X4 and enjoy all the performance an i5, i7, or SB can give you in gaming.

Snag a dual-BIOS HD6950 and flash to an HD6970.

Snicker (or chortle) at the Intel Fanboys with the 2500Ks and 6850s -- and have a better motherboard to 'boot' with more cash in your pocket, too.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

They both can OC pretty well. I agree completely, and the difference is negligible seeing the price difference. Besides, I can't tell the difference between 80 and 90 fps.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Close? Maybe in that comparo but in more cpu intensive games...

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png

I don't think he really cares too much about maxing out WoW. A 5770 and an Athlon X4 will do that already.

Metro%202033%201920.png

Aliens%20Vs%20Predator%201920.png

In most games (read: not Civilization 5), there really isn't much of an advantage with the 2500K over a Phenom X4 compared to:

perfrel_1920.gif

AMW1011

Distinguished
Fanboy's? More like the smart ones who don't waste money on amd's shitty processors.

I've seen it time and time again over many forums. People buy an X6 then complain after they put it together how they thought 6 cores was better then 4 and how can intel's quad core beat there 6 core. Amd isn't worth the money.

Also OP.. You can always go with a 2500K and a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121372&cm_re=GTX_470-_-14-121-372-_-Product

Or a 5850 for 179.99 after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121375&cm_re=HD_5850-_-14-121-375-_-Product

Psycho, that has nothing to do with this. Yes idiots will buy a 6-core, and expect it to scale perfectly, but that has no baring on this situation.

Also you calling them shitty, kills any form of respect I have for your opinion or credibility on the matter. That is more than biased, it is simply stupid. Your not stupid, so don't say stupid things.

He really didn't state what games he played... OP what games do you play? :lol:

Still think going with an X4 is a waste of money with sandy bridge out there.

BTW - Before i'm branded a fanboy by anyone else. I had an X6 at 4.2Ghz with a 3Ghz NB and it absolutely blew which is why i jumped to intel.

Please remember he has not stated his country, or place of purchase. We should only assume by his own word on what he can buy and what he cannot.

However, he IS only worried about games that can't be maxed with the inferior hardware (Phenom X4 and 6850), those that already are maxed by those have no baring on the discussion, unless he is heavily invested in some form of non-gaming application, which he has stated that he is not.

Sandy Bridge does nothing for gamers. Anyone with a nice Phenom II X4 or i5 quadcore and above will see no real world improvement from a Sandy Bridge processor.

I know your not a fanboy, but you've already made very foolish statements.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

I just want to play fps like bfbc2 and crysis. Maybe WoW later, but I'm not an extreme enthusiast.

@physcosaysdie: Also, vulgar language shows that you have a low vocabulary, just don't make yourself seem stupid please.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Well I wouldn't worry about any system in your price range maxing out WoW. :lol:

Also in Psycho's defense, it is a widespread misconception around the forums when it comes to Sandy Bridge's "greatness". In honesty, its the most exciting CPU release in a long time so most enthusiasts are a bit too enthusiastic in their praise.

Also, I can assure you that Psycho tends to be very well spoken and is a valued member of this community. His opinion on this matter does seem a bit biased, but he is merely stating the general misconception that is being spread. I gotta give him his credit when it is due.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Yeah I got excited too and tried to compile a completely new build under $1000. I just want the best for what my money can buy.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Sounds good. Btw, can I unlock the cores in the 6950 and not clock it to 6970 speeds?

AMW1011

Distinguished
I've heard that the reference 6950s have dual BIOS so that you can. I also heard that its really easy, but I'm not completely sure. You should head on over to Overclock.net and look in the ATI section, I'm sure there is a guide and some great discussions on the matter there.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

What kind of psu would I need to run the, in xfire? I'm thinking 750 W, but would a 650w work (seasonic or corsair).

AMW1011

Distinguished

I'd probably edge more towards an 850w. They aren't much more in terms of price, and it will give you plenty of head room for unlocking 2 6950s to 2 6970s and overclocking. Anything from Corsair (TX, HX, or AX series), Antec (not basiq), Seasonic, or XFX will serve you fine.

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Ok. (there goes my under $1000 budget =) )

Psycho? Is that you?

As wonderful as the thought of a 2xHD6970 2GB may be, a single card will be one potent sum beach for the foreseeable future. Keeping the 'PowerTune' setting at a reasonable level and it's sure to be worth a good bit of money in a year or so.

You could sell the card (will certainly continue to be great CF value) and get some good cash - put it toward a new 28nm card.

If you only need to push a single HD6970-like card a 650w PSU should be fine (and nicely handle a new 28nm card in 2012).

It's worth a thought to save some cash for future goodness to keep that train a rollin'. An 870 motherboard and you have saved some more.

When you upgrade that video card, might be a good time to move everything over to a AM3+ motherboard. :heink:

Psycho? Is that you?

wigglerthefish

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Well, I see your point, but I have seen the sad people selling 5xxx series on eBay. That is what will happen to me.