Sign in with
Your question

Segate hard drive not recognized how to recover data

Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2013 12:15:43 PM

Dear Experts

My one year old laptop Asus after updating its ultimate windows 7 OS and restarting it , a blue death screen appeared,,,tried copule of restarting same error message.

Then tried : Safe Mode ,,,,,tried : last good configuration,,,,,,,,,,nothing work.

Removed the hard drive which is Segate 500 GB from Asus laptop and connected via USB cable to my desktop,,,the error message that was presented : You need to format the disk before using it.

Tried that on another laptop (Dell) same error message : You need to format the disk before using it.

External hard drive is not showing in the computer management means it is not recognized as an external storage therefore I won't be able to use any third party program to recover the files before formatting it

What should I do to recover the files and data from my Asus hard drive before formatting it ?

Regards
a b D Laptop
a c 79 G Storage
February 4, 2013 12:24:55 PM

The drive may have failed, in which case the only way to retrieve data from it is to send it to a professional data-recovery service where the drive will be taken apart, but it will cost a great deal of money to have that done.

Had you backed up the data to a second hard drive or to optical discs, your data would still be safe and you wouldn't have to worry about how to retrieve it.

With the drive connected to a USB port externally, test it with SeaTools for Windows :
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Use the "Long/extended test". That will tell you for certain if the drive has failed.
m
l
February 4, 2013 12:39:44 PM

Quote:
The drive may have failed,

Hi phil

I would say no because if the drive would have failed I wouldn't be presented with the message : format the drive before using it.
Obviously I wouldn't try to format it now to prove if it is failed or not unless I will be exhausted for a solution.

m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 125 G Storage
February 4, 2013 1:10:33 PM

if it boots fine back in the asus laptop. use a hirem boot cd to see if you can repair the damaged windows if not there a mini xp boot on hirem cd that let you get your personal data off the drive.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
February 5, 2013 9:42:05 PM

How does HD Sentinel identify the drive? HD Sentinel attempts to communicate with the HDD behind the USB-SATA bridge.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Is the drive identified with its correct model number and full capacity? Can you see the SMART data?
m
l
!