Sign in with
Your question

New System (yay me)

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2010 10:26:02 PM

So my last rig .... fried ..... and i am going to make a new one except now DDR3.
I wanted to ask you guys if these parts will like each other or kill each other. thanks.

EDIT: POSTED NOW LINKS ON A LATER POST ON THIS THREAD

I see no problem with this rig but i just wanted to be sure.
and please go easy on me this is only my second rig.

Thanks,
Infectedbrain

More about : system yay

October 26, 2010 10:39:14 PM

Are you going to overclock this system?
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2010 11:36:07 PM

Well when it comes to overclocking I am a big newb so i might but not for a while.
m
l
October 27, 2010 4:12:51 AM

You are wasting money on the ram, get regular curcial ram, its cheaper and has good quality.

corsair HX line is better for psu, you picked the tx line.

As far as cases go, HAF 932 or the "X" version are a better choice and have great airflow, the 932 has 3 x 230mm fans.

when it comes to hard drive remember you want a small fast drive for the os/games/apps and a second bigger regular speed drive for storage, for example a good ssd for hdd1 for os/apps/games and a 1TB hdd as hdd2 for file storage, if that is not in the budget then just keep it in the back of your mind for future upgrades.
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:33:31 AM

Why the 1090T over a 955?
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:10:23 PM

Tom Kamkari said:
You are wasting money on the ram, get regular curcial ram, its cheaper and has good quality.

corsair HX line is better for psu, you picked the tx line.

As far as cases go, HAF 932 or the "X" version are a better choice and have great airflow, the 932 has 3 x 230mm fans.

I was looking at the HAF But i like the color change (i want style too) also the haf has no dust filters and my room is very dusty.

I dont know much about memory so could you tell me why the memory i chose is a waste (what is PSU or HK.

And as for the CPU i could not find a 955 for the x6
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:27:33 PM

Please use working links and provide the names of your choices so we don't have to do a click fest

Case / PSu - Case is mostly a matter of aesthetics once adequate cooling / cabling / storage needs are addressed. But I'd move up to a 850 watter which would handle a 2nd 470 in SLI in the future. At $260 $320 with a Corsair 850HX), I'd look at some combo options. here's one for $240

Antec DF-85 w/ CP-850 (PSU got a 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com and made editor's choice list at silentpcreview.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GFX Card - The 470 is a great choice though for $10 more, ya might consider the guaranteed OC w/ the superlcocked version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

No need for a separate PhysX card at this level.

CAS 9 memory at that price ? Also have you checked clearance of memory w/ that fan thingie and a CPU cooler ? CAS 9 memory can often be satisfactorily run at lower CAS settings but if it's no bragin over CAS 6 or 7 what's the point ? I also don't think you'll see anything outta the extra 4 GB.

CAS 6 (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

CAS 7 (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Coolers - Read this:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:30:09 PM

Please fix your URLs...
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:18:42 PM

FOR ALL THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE URLs I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX THEM

P.S. I know i used all caps but i was yelling.
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:24:12 PM

JackNaylorPE said:

No need for a separate PhysX card at this level.

CAS 9 memory at that price ? Also have you checked clearance of memory w/ that fan thingie and a CPU cooler ? CAS 9 memory can often be satisfactorily run at lower CAS settings but if it's no bragin over CAS 6 or 7 what's the point ? I also don't think you'll see anything outta the extra 4 GB.

CAS 6 (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

CAS 7 (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Sorry I just dont understand what the big dead with the memory is can someone give me a guide or something.
I see how expensive it is but i am a memory newb.

I have no idea what cas 9 or 7 is

I am sorry for my incompetence.

EDIT: I just changed my order from the dominator-gt to the same thing but not the GT version.

I looked up cas latency and still did not understand much. Sorry still looking to learn.
m
l
October 28, 2010 4:48:40 AM

Cas latency is the amount of time it takes for the memory module and memory controller ot communicate, that is a very general description.

you should not really pay attention to those things unless you are a power-user or a benchmarking, in gaming your cpu/gpu are so strong they will give you what you need, the difference in latency would mean maybe 3 fps difference, you are not going to notice that if you are already getting 60fps from your cpu/gpu.

as a gamer you want your money to go toward the psu, gpu and cpu, those are the ones that are going to make the biggest difference in your gaming performance.

to answer some of your questions:

haf's filters, even cases with filters will get dust thru, if you literary clean for 2 minutes a week, dust won't matter, also put your pc high from the ground if you can on a desk, dust won't hit you no where near as hard if you are higher off the ground, and I have pets so trust me I know both dust and hair very well. Now having said all that, they make custom filters for the haf or you can just get a fan filter for a 230mm fan, or there are many old school tricks.

the memory you chose cust an arm and a leg cause its made for overcloking, now you don't want to oc your ram if you don't know what you are doing, it can cause you headache, and again its made for serious overclockers, you only need a good ram nothing fancy for overclocking. chech this page its gone some choices for you, the Ballistix is a good ram and what you need at a fraction of the cost .

psu = power supply. HX is model of corsair's psu. go with corsair 750w HX model, the 850 HX is suppose to be a great one also.

as for your gpu, what is the native resolution of the monitor you gonna be gaming at? we need to know this so we can figure out what gpu you need, you don't want to waste your money on power you will never see and you don't want to endup short either, knowing what resolution you will be gaming at, will help us decide how much gpu power you need.

if you need to know how to post links let me know, I can show you that also.
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:31:10 AM

My monitor res is 1680x1050.

I plan to overclock this computer just at a leter date so i think ill stick with the mem.
m
l
October 28, 2010 7:05:44 PM

the Ballistix will let you do the oc you want, for much of a less price and great quality still, you are not trying to get an extreme oc, so you don't need that kind of a ram.

now having said that if you gonna oc then you need a cpu cooler.

for that res, 5850 or 470 would be plenty enough.
m
l
October 28, 2010 7:32:03 PM

I wanted to have an extra physx card because on my friends computer he has the same rez as me with the same card from the same brand superclcoked and everything and there is a noticeable lag when he turns on Physx while the game is on its highest setting (the game is mafia II)

I might get rid of the physx in order to get a sterioscopic 3d setup.... or not

P.S. remember my budget is $2000
m
l
October 28, 2010 8:25:10 PM

After much thought i have changed the memory from the kind you were all yelling at me about to the Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4gb (2x2gb) I still want 8gb of ram so i will get 2 but now my problem is get the 1333 or the 1600
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:24:09 PM

what you want is the 1600MHz ram it will make your oc a lots easier.
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:11:31 PM

okay thanks.

i will update the links
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:12:37 PM

My pleasure boss
m
l
October 28, 2010 11:39:03 PM

So now is everyone mostly happy with how this build will turn out.

hmmmm.... i just thought.... the PSU it doesn't have 38 amps on the +12v rain will it still work with my GPU ??
m
l
October 29, 2010 4:51:06 AM

lol I thought we agreed on corsair 850 HX, its much better than the antec.
m
l
October 29, 2010 1:51:16 PM

See i wanted that one but someone told me that if i could get the antec one the antec-only form factor one that i shouyld get that. but i heard alot of DOAs on that PSU so i am not sure.
m
l
October 29, 2010 7:55:15 PM

If you want my recommendation, I advise the corsair, its a better psu.
m
l
October 29, 2010 8:19:18 PM

Cause it has a very long proven track record for being reliable, in both quality and performance, and its certifications are always higher form certain other psus.
m
l
October 29, 2010 8:31:25 PM

Well the thing is it is not sli certified and does not have some of the power safety features that the antec one has.
I live in an area where brown outs and blackout are not uncommon and that is what fried my last MOBO and i could not see any power safety features on the corsair one.

if i am wrong please tell me i have never used any antec anything but i have used corsair memory.
m
l
October 29, 2010 9:26:28 PM

the 850 can do tri sli if it needed too, I'm not sure which corsair you are looking at. but a corsair 850 can easily do sli/crossfire, forget what newegg has to say, they don't have all the info, look at corsair site:

below is for the 850 AX model with gold certification:

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 features:

Supports the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards and is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 systems

An ultra-quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature

80 Plus Gold certified to deliver at least 90% efficiency at 50% load

Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99

Universal AC input from 90~264V

No more hassle of flipping that tiny red switch to select the voltage input!

A dedicated single +12V rail offers maximum compatibility with the latest components

Over-voltage and over-current protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components

High-quality Japanese capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability

Completely modular cable system allows you to use only the cables you need

Power supply upgrade and replacement is easy, as the cables only need to be disconnected at the power supply

Low-profile, flat cable design reduces air friction and helps maximize airflow through your computer's chassis

A seven year warranty and lifetime access to Corsair's legendary technical support and customer service

Dimensions: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 160mm(L)
MTBF: 100,000 hours
Safety Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick

below is the 850 HX model with silver certification:

Corsair HX850W Features:

Guaranteed to sustain its full rated wattage at an ambient temperature of 50°C

Up to 90% energy-efficiency under real-world load conditions*

Single +12V rail design providing up to 70A

Multi-GPU ready

105°C solid state capacitors

Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) with PF value of 0.99

Supports ATX12V 2.3 and EPS12V 2.91 standards. Backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01

Auto switching circuitry for universal AC input from 90-264V

Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection and Short Circuit Protection provide complete component safety

Dimensions: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 180mm(L)
MTBF: 100,000 hours
Safety Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick

both can do dual or tri sli depending on the gpu.

Last I like to say if you have a power surge issue, don't rely on your psu, get your self a surge protector from apc, or a regulator.

Corsair is like the Benz of psus, if you will.
m
l
October 29, 2010 10:13:44 PM

Well i like both but.......... i dont know i all depends on the price.

I have a surge protector but it did little i have an ULTRA LSP 650 on my computer now and the case shut off is broken the fans will never shut off....

I will think about witch one to choose.
m
l
October 29, 2010 10:49:59 PM

For surge protectors, APC is a good one.

Right now on newegg, the 850 HX is going for $109 and the AX is going for $189.99 with Rebate.
m
l
October 29, 2010 10:59:11 PM

That is the one i have with the battery backup. APC

ill see
m
l
October 29, 2010 11:04:03 PM

If its working right then it should protect you. good luck
m
l
October 30, 2010 12:01:32 AM

Best airflow case is the Silverstone Raven 2, and it has great aesthetics
m
l
October 30, 2010 12:35:57 AM

I dont like the raven.

I like the industrial look.

raven is too spacey
m
l
October 30, 2010 1:02:52 AM

you could just put it on the ground, but why sacrifice cooling benefits for looks? if you have to then i do suggest you go with one of the haf 922, 932, or X offerings. all in all you can not beat what any of those cases have to offer.
m
l
October 30, 2010 1:14:46 AM

well the haf series has no dust filter (they were my original choice for a case) the antec df-85 looks great and has the airflow i want. 3 front fans - perfect- 2 top and back fans - just what i need - im going to add a side fan and they all (except for the side fan) have fan controls
m
l
October 30, 2010 5:08:13 AM

I don't l ike the raven at all either, and I don't think it has the best airflow, there are cases with better airflow like the haf.

as I said they make filters for the haf, so if you want filters for haf, then just get them.

I don't like cases where I have to swing the front panel open to get to my dvd drive and etc, when you swing that open the airflow is gone, and its always in the way, but thats just me.

m
l
October 30, 2010 2:22:26 PM

i like the df-85 more then the haf.... plus i dont feel like spending more cash on fileters when i can get one with filters included
m
l
October 30, 2010 6:25:40 PM

Well infectedbrain, only the frond 3 fans have filters but they are infront of your drive bays, so they might as well have no filter, since the air they blow is thru the drive bay (aka practically blocked).

this is a bad design, since you are not getting much air flow into the case, and the air that those 3 fans would blow is not much at all, the fans on top and rearer are blowing air out, so you are not getting much airflow in period.

again keep in mind only the front fans have filter the top fans don't have it, and only the fans themselves have filters not the case, so with the top fans pulling air out and the rear fans pulling airout, all this air being pulled out, has to come from somewhere and the 3 x 120mm fans are not blowing that much air in, specially when blocked by dvd and hdd drives., in short, air is going to get pulled in from other places and those places don't have a filter, which then equals dusk in your case. This also means that everytime you open that front panel to work with a dvd/hdd drive, there is no dust filter and dust is being sucked right into the case. Atleast the filters for the haf will cover all fans, and there is no point where you move the fan from the case to work with dvd/hdd drives/bays.

Also filters get dirty and block airflow, so you want to clean them, so my question to you is, is the pc going to be off for the amount of time it takes to wash and dry the filters?

and with little airflowing into the case, I don't see how this inferior airlfow is better then haf's superior airflow, where you get 2 x 230mm fans blowing air in, yes one of them is thru the drive bay as the df-85 however the second 230mm is sitting right over the gpu and mobo and blowing air right over them, and then its exhausted by a third 230 mm fan blowing air out and a 140MM blowing air out also.

also just because a case has fans it dont' mean nothing, what kind of fans are they, what is their airflow and noise level, looking at these 3 120 fans their airflow is not so great and they will be loud.

again I'm just providing info, at the end its your system you get what you like.
m
l
October 30, 2010 7:27:26 PM

Well i found the haf x and that looks good but i still have to figure out what im going to do about muy budget but if i can fit it in ill get the haf x
m
l
October 30, 2010 7:27:59 PM

and the fans on the hafs are covered by drive too but 1 fan in the df-85 is an empty bay
m
l
October 30, 2010 8:09:58 PM

Tom Kamkari said:
I don't l ike the raven at all either, and I don't think it has the best airflow, there are cases with better airflow like the haf.

as I said they make filters for the haf, so if you want filters for haf, then just get them.

I don't like cases where I have to swing the front panel open to get to my dvd drive and etc, when you swing that open the airflow is gone, and its always in the way, but thats just me.

It has the better airflow then the Haf series.

2 reasons.

Reason 1. It has 3 massive fans pushing all the hot air up and out of the case

Reason 2. Hot air naturally rises, and in this case it rises out of the case instead of getting trapped and needing to get pushed out by a fan.
m
l
October 30, 2010 9:18:38 PM

We have done this test at many times at home and at the pc shop/s, what you are saying is correct but makes zero difference to actuall temps.

second it does not have massive fans, 3 x 120mm fans are not massive at all, a massive fan is a big fan with great airflow, a 230mm fan is a massive fan.

you got 3 small/regular fans (120mm) pushing whatever air that is able to get passed the drive bay, keep in mind this air will be warm because its passing thru warm hdds.

so the air push is not that great (3x 120mm fans), at best if we go by df-85's supposed numbers, the air being pushed in is at 180cfm, which I can assure you is bs, its less then that.

in HAF you have 2 x 230mm fans blowing air in, and unlike the df-85 where the air pushing in is passing thru the hot bays thus making warm, the haf has one 230mm fans for the bays to cool them down and it has the second 230mm fan blowing directly over the mobo/gpu, bringing in much better temp air and directly over the mobo/gpu, this is something df-85 can't do, does not do.

the push in airflow of HAF is over 220cfm with those 2 fans alone, vs the df-85's 180cfm, so right there you got more air coming in and the temp of the air is much better cause its not traveling thru the bays.

then you got a massive 230mm fan blowing air out the top and a 140mm fan blowing air out the back, you can even add more fans to the top for more suction but its not needed.

all of that equals to better airflow and air temp for the haf.

Also remember with the df-85 anytime you want to access an hdd or dvd/cd drive you have to swing the front panel open, thus killing the airflow from that fan for the amont of time the front panel of df-85 is open

the df-85 is a good IMO, dont' get me wrong, but it does not have better airflow then the HAF.

Not sure where you got the idea that any air get trapped in a mesh case with all that airflow and fans.

again I'm just providing the facts, reader make their decisions on which case they like better, at least I hope they have the correct info now.
m
l
October 30, 2010 9:36:30 PM

Tom Kamkari said:
We have done this test at many times at home and at the pc shop/s, what you are saying is correct but makes zero difference to actuall temps.

second it does not have massive fans, 3 x 120mm fans are not massive at all, a massive fan is a big fan with great airflow, a 230mm fan is a massive fan.

you got 3 small/regular fans (120mm) pushing whatever air that is able to get passed the drive bay, keep in mind this air will be warm because its passing thru warm hdds.

so the air push is not that great (3x 120mm fans), at best if we go by df-85's supposed numbers, the air being pushed in is at 180cfm, which I can assure you is bs, its less then that.

in HAF you have 2 x 230mm fans blowing air in, and unlike the df-85 where the air pushing in is passing thru the hot bays thus making warm, the haf has one 230mm fans for the bays to cool them down and it has the second 230mm fan blowing directly over the mobo/gpu, bringing in much better temp air and directly over the mobo/gpu, this is something df-85 can't do, does not do.

the push in airflow of HAF is over 220cfm with those 2 fans alone, vs the df-85's 180cfm, so right there you got more air coming in and the temp of the air is much better cause its not traveling thru the bays.

then you got a massive 230mm fan blowing air out the top and a 140mm fan blowing air out the back, you can even add more fans to the top for more suction but its not needed.

all of that equals to better airflow and air temp for the haf.

Also remember with the df-85 anytime you want to access an hdd or dvd/cd drive you have to swing the front panel open, thus killing the airflow from that fan for the amont of time the front panel of df-85 is open

the df-85 is a good IMO, dont' get me wrong, but it does not have better airflow then the HAF.

Not sure where you got the idea that any air get trapped in a mesh case with all that airflow and fans.

again I'm just providing the facts, reader make their decisions on which case they like better, at least I hope they have the correct info now.

At the beginning I thought you were talking about the Raven but then you started talking about the df-85, to clarify I do not support the df-85, and if if the fans are rated a little lower, the fact that its pushing the hot air up the way it wants to go would make it better.

I think we could go on about this for quite some time, so I suggest that one of us should just get benchmarks for the temps using both cases.
m
l
October 30, 2010 10:17:25 PM

As I mentioned we have done these test in the shop and I have done it at home, the difference is temp is 1 - 2 degrees at best depending.

Most , customers with HAF case had better temps then the raven, yes raven does have that design but its also problematic, working with dvd drives with 3 gpus is a pain, but at the end cases are about what you like, like I said the difference in temps between them is low, its not even worth mentioning, some like raven and some hate it, to each his own.
m
l
October 31, 2010 10:45:48 AM

Oh, okay. But in the link you posted, he had added two fans ontop of the fans that were included. With both of those fans I would imagine it would be cooler then the HAF cases. Would it not?
m
l
October 31, 2010 12:27:32 PM

i am thinking that BUT 3dgameman.com (my source for almost all reviews) gave the haf x 100% kickass... so i might go with that once i figure out if i should get the extra fan for the top....... so yeah...... plus my school IT guy says that he hates antec and he helped me out a lot with programming and what not so..... it looks like ill go with the haf x
m
l
October 31, 2010 12:32:10 PM

^ just because he is smart and hates antec, does not mean they do not make good products.
m
l
October 31, 2010 5:25:31 PM

-sky- said:
Oh, okay. But in the link you posted, he had added two fans ontop of the fans that were included. With both of those fans I would imagine it would be cooler then the HAF cases. Would it not?

which link?

@infectedbrain, never use one person/site for all your reviews and info, unless you personally know the person or site owner.

all these reviews you need to take them with a grain of salt, some sites are paid to push one product over the other, and some sites are just bias. You will get better info from honest and experienced user like some of us on this forum.

With the extra 200mm fan on top, your airflow will be untouchable, thats a lot of air. You can change all the big fans with led versions if you like also:

haf oem 200mm fan

200mm blue led

200mm red led

if you want to change the front 230mm red led to a blue one then here:

230mm blue led

these are all made for the haf, by coolmaster.

with 4 x 200mm fans and 1 x 140, you got over 500 cfm air flow, assumming that a 120mm fan gives us 60cfm, (thats pretty good cfm but most fans lie about delivering it), you would need like 9 of those 120mm fan just to match that. Now what case wants to say it has better airflow? lol.
m
l
!