New System (yay me)

infectedbrain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So my last rig .... fried ..... and i am going to make a new one except now DDR3.
I wanted to ask you guys if these parts will like each other or kill each other. thanks.

EDIT: POSTED NOW LINKS ON A LATER POST ON THIS THREAD

I see no problem with this rig but i just wanted to be sure.
and please go easy on me this is only my second rig.

Thanks,
Infectedbrain

Tom Kamkari

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Tom Kamkari

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
You are wasting money on the ram, get regular curcial ram, its cheaper and has good quality.

corsair HX line is better for psu, you picked the tx line.

As far as cases go, HAF 932 or the "X" version are a better choice and have great airflow, the 932 has 3 x 230mm fans.

when it comes to hard drive remember you want a small fast drive for the os/games/apps and a second bigger regular speed drive for storage, for example a good ssd for hdd1 for os/apps/games and a 1TB hdd as hdd2 for file storage, if that is not in the budget then just keep it in the back of your mind for future upgrades.

infectedbrain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

I was looking at the HAF But i like the color change (i want style too) also the haf has no dust filters and my room is very dusty.

I dont know much about memory so could you tell me why the memory i chose is a waste (what is PSU or HK.

And as for the CPU i could not find a 955 for the x6

Please use working links and provide the names of your choices so we don't have to do a click fest

Case / PSu - Case is mostly a matter of aesthetics once adequate cooling / cabling / storage needs are addressed. But I'd move up to a 850 watter which would handle a 2nd 470 in SLI in the future. At $260 $320 with a Corsair 850HX), I'd look at some combo options. here's one for $240

Antec DF-85 w/ CP-850 (PSU got a 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com and made editor's choice list at silentpcreview.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.491512

GFX Card - The 470 is a great choice though for $10 more, ya might consider the guaranteed OC w/ the superlcocked version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130549

No need for a separate PhysX card at this level.

CAS 9 memory at that price ? Also have you checked clearance of memory w/ that fan thingie and a CPU cooler ? CAS 9 memory can often be satisfactorily run at lower CAS settings but if it's no bragin over CAS 6 or 7 what's the point ? I also don't think you'll see anything outta the extra 4 GB.

CAS 6 (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006127%20600006066%20600006155&IsNodeId=1&name=6

CAS 7 (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006127%20600006066%20600006156&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Coolers - Read this:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13

infectedbrain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry I just dont understand what the big dead with the memory is can someone give me a guide or something.
I see how expensive it is but i am a memory newb.

I have no idea what cas 9 or 7 is

I am sorry for my incompetence.

EDIT: I just changed my order from the dominator-gt to the same thing but not the GT version.

I looked up cas latency and still did not understand much. Sorry still looking to learn.

Tom Kamkari

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Cas latency is the amount of time it takes for the memory module and memory controller ot communicate, that is a very general description.

you should not really pay attention to those things unless you are a power-user or a benchmarking, in gaming your cpu/gpu are so strong they will give you what you need, the difference in latency would mean maybe 3 fps difference, you are not going to notice that if you are already getting 60fps from your cpu/gpu.

as a gamer you want your money to go toward the psu, gpu and cpu, those are the ones that are going to make the biggest difference in your gaming performance.

to answer some of your questions:

haf's filters, even cases with filters will get dust thru, if you literary clean for 2 minutes a week, dust won't matter, also put your pc high from the ground if you can on a desk, dust won't hit you no where near as hard if you are higher off the ground, and I have pets so trust me I know both dust and hair very well. Now having said all that, they make custom filters for the haf or you can just get a fan filter for a 230mm fan, or there are many old school tricks.

the memory you chose cust an arm and a leg cause its made for overcloking, now you don't want to oc your ram if you don't know what you are doing, it can cause you headache, and again its made for serious overclockers, you only need a good ram nothing fancy for overclocking. chech this page its gone some choices for you, the Ballistix is a good ram and what you need at a fraction of the cost .

psu = power supply. HX is model of corsair's psu. go with corsair 750w HX model, the 850 HX is suppose to be a great one also.

as for your gpu, what is the native resolution of the monitor you gonna be gaming at? we need to know this so we can figure out what gpu you need, you don't want to waste your money on power you will never see and you don't want to endup short either, knowing what resolution you will be gaming at, will help us decide how much gpu power you need.

if you need to know how to post links let me know, I can show you that also.

Tom Kamkari

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
the Ballistix will let you do the oc you want, for much of a less price and great quality still, you are not trying to get an extreme oc, so you don't need that kind of a ram.

now having said that if you gonna oc then you need a cpu cooler.

for that res, 5850 or 470 would be plenty enough.

infectedbrain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I wanted to have an extra physx card because on my friends computer he has the same rez as me with the same card from the same brand superclcoked and everything and there is a noticeable lag when he turns on Physx while the game is on its highest setting (the game is mafia II)

I might get rid of the physx in order to get a sterioscopic 3d setup.... or not

P.S. remember my budget is $2000

infectedbrain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
After much thought i have changed the memory from the kind you were all yelling at me about to the Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4gb (2x2gb) I still want 8gb of ram so i will get 2 but now my problem is get the 1333 or the 1600