DDR3 and AMD 9750 x4 Compatible Motherboard

MrManhattan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Ok, so I have a Gateway DX4300-03 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352692,00.asp). It's all stock besides a Corsair 700w power supply. I want to put ddr3 RAM in it and am also getting a new graphics card because the old one recently died (currently using the on-board video). So I want to know what your suggestions would be for a motherboard that would handle DDR3 memory but not require me to get a new processor (I have a AMD Phenom x4 9750 quad-core).

Also might be considering a new case as well so if a bigger/different case is necessary that isn't too big of a problem.

Thank you.

-MrManhattan

Ok, that Processor is going to support only DDR2 SDRAM up to PC2-8500.
If you manage to sell off that Gateway, we could help you make a much more power efficient and efficient rig altogether.
That would be a much better option. Since the processor is a Socket AM2+ which is surely pretty old and the TDP is as good as any new high end processor from the last gen of AMD.
It's worth a change over. or actually it's high time you didn't add any money into that rig and started building a new one, could be piece by piece but it'll still be better than the Gateway.

MrManhattan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah, thats really what I'm planning on doing, I just wanna be able to get it together without doing it all at once.

What would a new motherboard & processor run me in the upper mid range of stuff?