Sign in with
Your question

Partition Crazy!

Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2013 2:48:40 PM

Hello all : :hello: 
In my computer I have a (full, primary) 60GB SeaGate IDE HDD (C) and an (empty, secondary) 1TB Western Digital Sata.
I'm a bit puzzled. Here is what I want to do:

- Split the C drive into two partitions, 'Boot' and 'Primary'.
- Make the computer boot from the 'Boot' Partition.
- Make everything else (Games, Pictures, Etc) go into the 'Primary' partition.
- Make a 'Downloads' partition on the 1TB drive and make downloads go into it.
- Make a 'Program Files' partition on the 1TB drive and put Program Files in it.
- Make it so that every time a program loads or saves a file it comes from or goes to the 'Program Files' partition on the 1TB drive instead of the primary 'C' drive.

This may or may not be simple, I dunno, but I'm stumped :p 
Some Extra Information:
I'm Running Windows 8 Pro 32-bit.
'Program Files' folder is 27GB.
'Windows' Folder is 10.6GB.
'Users' folder is 4.55GB.
'ESD' folder is 2.7GB.

Thanks for the help guys,
~Guy :bounce: 

More about : partition crazy

a c 314 G Storage
February 4, 2013 3:00:54 PM

Me again. You never upgraded that 60 GB IDE drive?

It is _much_ easier to do this at OS install time than afterwards. You can use the Disk Management facility to shrink the boot partition, create a new partition on the drive, and move data files there. On a 60 GB drive with very little free space, this will take forever.

If you are willing to re-install the OS, make a backup of all your data, wipe the 1 TB drive, and re-install Windows on the 1 TB drive. During the installation process, have it create a 100 GB partition for your OS instead of the whole drive. Re-install everything and then copy your non-OS files from the backup to the second partition.

Moving where things are downloaded is done, at least in Firefox, in the browser, not in the OS config. If you boot from the SATA drive, as I suggest, then programs will install to it and that will be a non-issue.
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:06:30 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Me again. You never upgraded that 60 GB IDE drive?

It is _much_ easier to do this at OS install time than afterwards. You can use the Disk Management facility to shrink the boot partition, create a new partition on the drive, and move data files there. On a 60 GB drive with very little free space, this will take forever.

If you are willing to re-install the OS, make a backup of all your data, wipe the 1 TB drive, and re-install Windows on the 1 TB drive. During the installation process, have it create a 100 GB partition for your OS instead of the whole drive. Re-install everything and then copy your non-OS files from the backup to the second partition.

Moving where things are downloaded is done, at least in Firefox, in the browser, not in the OS config. If you boot from the SATA drive, as I suggest, then programs will install to it and that will be a non-issue.

I've just got a few issues there.
Re installing Window 8 isn't an option, I've got everything configured up. Registry tweaks, system file mods, all sorts of stuff.

Is it possible just to create a boot partition from the C drive and move all the files necessary for boot into it, then make the computer boot from it somehow?
And is Program Files separable from the C drive?

And hello again :D 
m
l
Related resources
a c 314 G Storage
February 4, 2013 3:39:52 PM

Program Files isn't really separable from the C drive.

If the 1 TB drive is empty, then all kinds of delicious possibilities open up, because you don't care what happens to it.

Clone the boot drive to it and try to boot from it. It will probably fail, but if you have a Win8 boot disk you can try a repair.

And, as I probably said before, get an external drive, download EASEUS ToDo Backup or buy a copy of Acronis, do an image backup, remove the IDE drive, and restore to the _empty_ 1 TB drive with the option checked to restore to a different type of hardware.

Ditch the IDE drive. Or put it in an external enclosure and backup data to it.

Splitting boots across two drives is possible but is a pain in the neck to do, and to maintain. My personal opinion is that it is harder than re-installing; I would do a re-install any day over that.

Somebody else, do you know how to do what he wants, moving most of his OS without a re-install or a clone? Could he copy the whole old drive to the new one, boot from the old one, and then twiddle the boot menu (I don't know how to in Win8, and hope that I will never have to) to load the OS from the new drive? It would be silly; the boot drive would still be the IDE drive, but he seems to want to do that. Far be it from me to stop a fellow glasses-wearer from tinkering.
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:28:44 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Program Files isn't really separable from the C drive.

If the 1 TB drive is empty, then all kinds of delicious possibilities open up, because you don't care what happens to it.

Clone the boot drive to it and try to boot from it. It will probably fail, but if you have a Win8 boot disk you can try a repair.

And, as I probably said before, get an external drive, download EASEUS ToDo Backup or buy a copy of Acronis, do an image backup, remove the IDE drive, and restore to the _empty_ 1 TB drive with the option checked to restore to a different type of hardware.

Ditch the IDE drive. Or put it in an external enclosure and backup data to it.

Splitting boots across two drives is possible but is a pain in the neck to do, and to maintain. My personal opinion is that it is harder than re-installing; I would do a re-install any day over that.

Somebody else, do you know how to do what he wants, moving most of his OS without a re-install or a clone? Could he copy the whole old drive to the new one, boot from the old one, and then twiddle the boot menu (I don't know how to in Win8, and hope that I will never have to) to load the OS from the new drive? It would be silly; the boot drive would still be the IDE drive, but he seems to want to do that. Far be it from me to stop a fellow glasses-wearer from tinkering.

Aha, you gave me a lot of hope there when you say a lot of delicious possibilities open up.
I guess I'll give cloning a shot
I'll figure something out and report back ;) 

EDIT:
Found some juicy info that should help:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1328-change-the-default-insta...
m
l
!