Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade to a gtx 460 or not?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 7, 2010 2:20:59 PM

OK.My current specs are
Intel core i7-870
6GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHZ
MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 260 1792MB LIGHTNING EDITION SUPERCLOCKED
650W PSU
Resolution-1680X1050
Now i am really breaking my wallet to get a gtx 460 but is it really necessary?coz currently metro 2033 is the only game i cannot max.but i am worried whether my system can handle all future games?Plz don't tell me to wait for ATI 6000 coz I am a MSI And Nvidia fan for life.

More about : upgrade gtx 460

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 2:49:39 PM

Well, it certainly will be an decent upgrade, especially if you plan on overclocking. It will also allow you to used DX11 features in games that support such(like Metro 2033) and use about half as much power at idle. That said your current card should be rather nice for your resolution still. Then again if you sell the card it will pay for more than half of the GTX 460...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 2:50:05 PM

You have a pretty decent card and would advise you to wait for another two months for the HD6xxx cards come out. Check those benchmarks and prices and then decide if GTX460 or HD6xxx. I heard ATI is getting a GTX460 competitor into the market
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 2:54:26 PM

Agree, you can sell your card and get GTX460 or wait for a while until 6xxx series are out...
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 2:56:44 PM

lol
Did you guys mention the HD6000 cards just to annoy him? :p 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 3:02:17 PM

Advised him on practicality. Not assuming him as a fanboy. :) 
m
0
l
September 7, 2010 3:03:30 PM

the reason why i wont get ati is that just weeks ago I had purchased a 5830 but it in some games:far cry 2,need for speed shift it actually performed worse than my 260.even after overclocking that 5830 and trying all the latest catalysts nothing improved my overall performance of 5830.also in games like crysis the minimum frame rate was horrible than my superclocked gtx 260 core 216 although the averages were higher.Someone on toms told me that ati's architecture was not 100%scalar as nvidia so if the gpu operation of the stream processors of ati failed than the gpu lost its efficiency as in far cry 2.Plus NVIDIA has physx,3d vision,TWIMTBP(MOST IMPORTANT) so I ONLY WANT TO BUY AN NVIDIA CARD now.
m
0
l
September 7, 2010 3:05:55 PM

jyjjy said:
Well, it certainly will be an decent upgrade, especially if you plan on overclocking. It will also allow you to used DX11 features in games that support such(like Metro 2033) and use about half as much power at idle. That said your current card should be rather nice for your resolution still. Then again if you sell the card it will pay for more than half of the GTX 460...

Actually DX 11 is useless to me coz I am on XP
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 3:10:43 PM

I think i remember that thread.
Based on that you decided to discard whole company who's whoppin nVidia's a** for the past 1 year, even when nVidia's got PhysX, CUDA other PROPITIATORY stuff?

I am not saying that nVidia makes bad cards. But i am just saying your inference is wrong.

You can get a GTX460, that would be quite a decent upgrade. But logic would say that, you wait at least for the benchies! :) 
m
0
l
September 7, 2010 3:21:32 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
I think i remember that thread.
Based on that you decided to discard whole company who's whoppin nVidia's a** for the past 1 year, even when nVidia's got PhysX, CUDA other PROPITIATORY stuff?

I am not saying that nVidia makes bad cards. But i am just saying your inference is wrong.

You can get a GTX460, that would be quite a decent upgrade. But logic would say that, you wait at least for the benchies! :) 

sometimes whenever a new game is released there are generally complains from ati/amd crowd that the game has bugs lags etcetra etcetra.strange theat with an nvidia/intel system i never got such problems.nfs shift was worst on ati cards when released and it still is.in batman arkham asylum,ATI can't get anti aliasing.they have to "brute force" it.far cry 2 prefers nvidia cards
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 3:23:36 PM

Sounds like you don't really need an upgrade right now. Might as well wait until it makes more sense.
m
0
l
September 7, 2010 3:26:15 PM

In GTA 4,the game lags when its raining,and in evening.The rest of the day its compltely fine.but when it rains my fps decreases to as low as 30fps and at evening at around 35fps.the rest of the day its 40 up.will the gtx 460 also lag to 30 when raining?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 3:40:51 PM

I would wait a bit, there is likely a price drop going to occur when ATI release the HD6xxx. At this point you should be better able to afford the GTX460 if you still wish to purchase NVidia at that time. I have to agree that the GTX460 is an incredible card and it will increase your performance in Metro, but if you max everything else out right now there is no reason to upgrade at the very moment.
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2010 3:49:12 PM

sadseada123 said:
In GTA 4,the game lags when its raining,and in evening.The rest of the day its compltely fine.but when it rains my fps decreases to as low as 30fps and at evening at around 35fps.the rest of the day its 40 up.will the gtx 460 also lag to 30 when raining?


^
GTA 4 is a BAD coded game...
m
0
l
!