CPU stuck at low multiplier

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Hi
I have a Q6600, OEM HP desktop.
Under 100% load, or any load my speedstep (w/e its called) wont increase the multiplier and stays stuck at 6x @ 1.6ghz instead of 9x @ 2.4ghz
Its annoying me since it causes it to be slower while multitasking and etc..
I have tried to set it a high power setting, plugging PSU out and taking battery off MOBO as someone suggested, but to no avil.
And I have tried looking at BIOS to disable, but I can't find speedstep setting in BIOS.
Any advice on how to solve my issue?
lowcpuload.jpg

highloadcpu.jpg

EDIT:
I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 and I have it on high performance power profile.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

I believe it is some 350W by a low end supplier. It came with a 300W PSU, but it had to be replaced and it was covered under my warranty. I also had the hard drive replaced under my warranty, and I added in a second hard drive as well.
And I am starting to think it is the PSU, since it makes weird fan noises sometimes that I have to sorta slap the tower for them to go away, and it has constantly been louder as well.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Download Everest. You can get it at majorgeeks.com site. Run the cpu benches on there. See if the cpu runs at its suppose to speed when its asked to do so by a application.

I used AIDA64, replacement of Everest, but I couldn't find how to run CPU benches, but under stress testing of the CPU where it brought the load to 100%, the CPU heated up, fans speed up, but it was still running at 1.6 ghz (266x6 instead of 266x9) according to CPUZ and CPUID.
And how do I update my BIOS, mine is from 07 now and maybe a never version has more settings.