Nvidia 8400M GT and no video memory

G

I have Sony Vaio FZ11Z with 8400M GT. Recently i upgraded the laptop from Vista to Win 7. Everything was ok till i tried to install Nvidia drivers on Win7. When i rebooted to load the new driver the OS freezes on Windows loading screen and the display appears as it work in wrong frequense. The whole system freezes and i have to use the power button to restart it. However, then the OS starts loading again and the laptop frezes again.
I used Everest to check the hardware specs and it reports 8400M GT with 256MB video memory as per specs. Windows 7 though recognises it as Standard VGA card with 14MB internal video memory only. Video play works. but if i try to play games i get a message that i don't have compatable display. The latest Nvidia drivers report that i don't have supported hardware when i try them. I have to use laptopvideo2go.com modder software to make the installer install the driver. After reboot though the OS still shows Standard VGA card only. When i go in the driver details i can see that this is the Nvidia.

Is there any software i can use to diagnose the video card before i contact Sony Customer Support line knowing what a waste of space they are?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciate as i ran out of options here.

Cheers

Maybe you should ask Sony Customer Service, since you are upgrading from Vista to 7, they should have the answer that you need...

Don't know much about Nvidia driver, but ATI have different driver for Desktop Card and Mobility card.

G

Thank you for your reply Wa1.

I'm aware that the M in 8400M stands for mobile. Also when you download drivers from Nvidia's website youneed to specify the exact specs of your card and it is difficult to make a mistake and download wrong drivers.

The reason i opened this tread was that i wonder if there is a system diagnostic software for Nvidia video cards which i can use to test the laptop's video before i send the whole laptop to Sony. I'm aware that there is branded software for hard drives, motherboards and some other computer hardware but i have never seen any diagnostic software for video cards so far apart from video stress and benchmark programs.

Thanks again for your help.