Looking for top-of-the-line Sandy Bridge PC

siigari

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hey all, long time reader, new poster. I am looking to build a new computer optimized for Intel's new Sandy Bridge processor. I do 1080p video editing, gaming, and music production. I have reasonable knowledge with computers, but with all this recent stuff coming out, memory speeds, memory channels (dual, triple, hexa?) all have me a bit confused. Also, I am still learning about PCIe because I still am using mostly PCI lanes in my Biostar T-series mobo. I have feathered through about 4-5 websites looking for parts. I have found good deals on things I think I need, but am looking for real technical advice. (From you guys!)

Money is no object. I desire the following specs:

8-Core Sandy Bridge (or 22nm Haswell if released simultaneously) -- Looking for 4.5-5GHz.
A motherboard (That will meet Sandy Bridge specs, at least)
480 GTX in 3-Way SLI (or 4-Way if the boards have been mass produced)
12-24 Gigs of memory (triple channel, 6 GB is too little for what I'm doing)
Dedicated audiophile sound card (ex: Asus Xonar Essence, Auzen X-Fi Forte 7.1)
Desired front-panel audio attachments
The best cooling solution to achieve stable 5-6Ghz (air, liquid, *affordable* phase change)
Dedicated OS drive (SSD)
Dedicated gaming drive (SSD)
4-6 TB storage (HDD)
Blu-ray writer
10-slot case
Optimal power supply

Desired price: $4,000
Absolute maximum price: $6,000

Things I already have:
Pioneer HDJ-2000 headphones
Cables
32" 1080p HDTV -- NOTE: I am currently unhappy with my Sony 32XBR9 for not having crisp pixels. I am totally open to a better solution.

Note that I am realistically probably going to spend close to USD $4,000 on this, if not a bit more. I have some headroom. I am also looking to purchase a 7.1 home theater system to hook up to the system. I would enjoy positional audio, as well. I have about $2,000 to $3,000 to spend on the audio equipment. If this isn't the place to get that answered I can check the AVS forums.

Thanks!

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Sandy Bridge motherboards and processors aren't out yet. The benchmarks are scarce too. I'm not sure if this is the right time to ask for build advice? AMD 69xx series cards will be out next month, nvidia may be releasing a dual-gpu card soon too. If you're waiting for Sandy Bridge, you're also waiting for everything else because everything else will be different by that time as well.

siigari

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Alright, let's imagine it was for an i7 980x. Then how would you build it? Manufacturers generally make some special hardware not usually found at stores or in online shops. Right now I'm just trying to re-learn computers. I'd appreciate it!