City Setting for DM-CBP2-TensileSteel?

Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2004 10:39:44 PM

Anybody know in which city DM-CBP2-TensileSteel is set?

It's a beautifully detailed map, and the distant background is practically
photo-realistic. I'm guessing it's set in London, and the river you can see
from the spot where the Keg o' Health spawns is the Thames.

If you haven't played it, or if you've only *played* it, I'd recommend you
start up an Instant Action match with no bots and poke around a bit. It's
quite impressive.

~SomeOldDude
July 21, 2004 12:46:48 AM

"SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com> wrote in message
news:p 4iLc.696$ac7.18021@eagle.america.net...
> Anybody know in which city DM-CBP2-TensileSteel is set?
>
> It's a beautifully detailed map, and the distant background is practically
> photo-realistic. I'm guessing it's set in London, and the river you can see
> from the spot where the Keg o' Health spawns is the Thames.
>
> If you haven't played it, or if you've only *played* it, I'd recommend you
> start up an Instant Action match with no bots and poke around a bit. It's
> quite impressive.
>
> ~SomeOldDude

It looks like London to me too, although I have never been there.
I would gladly accept a ticket to confirm :)
Beautiful map.

--

HornDog
www.horndogshouse.com

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:39:44 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
wrote:

>It's a beautifully detailed map, and the distant background is practically
>photo-realistic. I'm guessing it's set in London, and the river you can see
>from the spot where the Keg o' Health spawns is the Thames.

Very definitely London, the map is set just on the north side of the
Thames close to London bridge. I am glad you pointed that out as I had
only tried playing that map once and I never bothered look at the
background - I have lived in London all my life!
July 21, 2004 10:48:07 PM

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:39:44 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It's a beautifully detailed map, and the distant background is
>> practically photo-realistic. I'm guessing it's set in London, and
>> the river you can see from the spot where the Keg o' Health spawns
>> is the Thames.
>
> Very definitely London, the map is set just on the north side of the
> Thames close to London bridge. I am glad you pointed that out as I had
> only tried playing that map once and I never bothered look at the
> background - I have lived in London all my life!

Isn't it set in Battersea power station? Certainly looks like it when
you get out on the roof but I don't know London well enough to know if
the views are accurate for where the power station actually is.

--
Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
Fix Outlook Express - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:48:07 GMT, "Littlemoot"
<littlemoot@h0tmail.com> wrote:

>Isn't it set in Battersea power station? Certainly looks like it when
>you get out on the roof but I don't know London well enough to know if
>the views are accurate for where the power station actually is.

Battersea powerstation is just an empty shell AFAIK, and it is
certainly miles upstream from the City Of London area depicted in the
background.
July 22, 2004 2:01:58 AM

wrote:

>Anybody know in which city DM-CBP2-TensileSteel is set?

I've just looked at my copy of UT04 and can't find this map. Are you
refering to 03 or is it an unofficial map for 04?

Ta.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:01:59 AM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:01:58 +0100, Mike Barnard
<m.barnard.trousers@thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:39:44 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Anybody know in which city DM-CBP2-TensileSteel is set?
>
>I've just looked at my copy of UT04 and can't find this map. Are you
>refering to 03 or is it an unofficial map for 04?
>
>Ta.

Yea I had to do a search for it in Google but I found it and
downloaded it quick. around 190 megs!

Moondog
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 2:46:31 AM

Andrew wrote:

> Battersea powerstation is just an empty shell AFAIK, and it is
> certainly miles upstream from the City Of London area depicted in the
> background.

Well it has a very fancy flash website that I couldn't be bothered to
explore.

http://www.thepowerstation.co.uk

Looks like it's getting done up, or it has been, or, erm, something.

Getting back to the map, I'm pretty sure it's based on the power station
now, obviously not an exact replica of it but it has the chimneys and
stuff if you go up to the roof. It's a while since I played it though
and my memory's a bit fuzzy.

--
Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
Fix Outlook Express - http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
as recommended by your friendly neighbourhood MeltDown.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:36:51 AM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:21:50 -0500, "SomeOldDude" <nunya@business.com>
wrote:

>It's part of the Community Bonus Pack 2 map collection for UT2004 (thus the
>"CBP2" in the map's name). CBP2 came in two volumes (but I don't believe
>that's the reason for the "2"... apparently there was a CBP for UT2003, as
>well).
>
>There are some great maps in there... definitely worth the download.

Thanks, I'm downloading both packs as I type. Of to the Chinese then,
while I wait! :)

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 5:24:19 PM

wrote:

>Anybody know in which city DM-CBP2-TensileSteel is set?
>
>It's a beautifully detailed map, and the distant background is practically
>photo-realistic. I'm guessing it's set in London, and the river you can see
>from the spot where the Keg o' Health spawns is the Thames.
>
>If you haven't played it, or if you've only *played* it, I'd recommend you
>start up an Instant Action match with no bots and poke around a bit. It's
>quite impressive.
>
>~SomeOldDude

I've now played it. Great map agreed, but the one change I'd like is
some rooftop areas and maybe access to the outside of the walls. It's
a real tease to stand up there, look out of the unbreakable windows
and not be able to go outside and breathe the soot. And to get to the
highest, open levels and see those railings just waiting to be
climbed.

Yep, I was born in London and have been to the power station many
times in my short life. Sigh,

--

!