Help me .... My E8400 is overheating!

fexpro

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Hello, My CPU is core 2 duo E8400 and Mobo DG35EC with 6gb ram. My PC has to run 24hours straight and I play so many games and work with photoshop, illustrator and visual studio and many more... so my CPU over heats. Now it starts to shutdown automatically ruining my works. I have the stock CPU cooler installed, which I took out and cleaned then reinstalled. I opened up the side panel of my casing and trowed it away, rerouted cables and made space for air flow. Installed a fan in front of casing which takes air in and other takes the air out; that helped me and I got CPU idle temperature 47 C (which was 75 C+). But, after a few days the temperature is climbing again. When I play games which require more CPU power I see that the temperature is 102 C. Is my CPU dying? How can I bring it to life?

Solution
Ive done more than my fair share of work on a stock cooler over a long period of time with no over heating problems.

Im guessing when you removed your heatsink to clean it, you didnt either clean the mating surfaces well enough or at all or you thermal "paste" was applied wrong. Re-clean and reapply. Should solve your problems.

nitin-26

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
its very simple your cpu will overheat if you run it 24hrs with stock cooler get a good quality cpu cooler they are pretty cheap you can get one for $30 and temp will be very low. If you play 24 hours when do you sleep eat food go to work have sex etc etc

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Ive done more than my fair share of work on a stock cooler over a long period of time with no over heating problems.

Im guessing when you removed your heatsink to clean it, you didnt either clean the mating surfaces well enough or at all or you thermal "paste" was applied wrong. Re-clean and reapply. Should solve your problems.

Solution

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
how long have you had it. if its old and you've removed the heatsink simply putting the heatsink back on won't help. you will need to re-apply the thermal paste.

whats the airlfow like inside the case. just removing the side isn't going to fix airflow problems. where is the system housed is it in an open space or cramped in somewhere with loads of things around it.

ideally a computer should be in an open space to allow for maximum air intake. i know we cant all do this but the less cramped and cluttered the area is the more airflow you will get. i dropped my temps 10c just by moving my computer to sit on my desk instead of under it.