Should i get a EVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB SC or the XFX 5770 1 gb

my monitors display is 1440x900 its a viewsonic 17inch monitor

which card should i get iam gonna use it with this new system

Corie i3 530
gigabyte h55-usb3 MOBO
2gb ddr3 ram 1333MHZ
quality 500 watt PSU

ATI in general has driver issues but i heard nVidia has had good drivers for a while
the only diffrence in price
HD 5770= 1035 EGP
the GTX 460= 1380 EGP
i have the money for the GTX 460 but will it be overkill? + iam worried about the ati drivers
oh and how long is the gtx 460 compared to the 5770 and i have heard the intel and Nvidia get along easily
thx =D
38 answers Last reply
More about should evga geforce 768mb 5770
  1. Wait for the GTS 450, the 460 is overkill at that resolution =)
  2. yeah but the GTX 450 is not gonna get to Egypt in a few months and i am sick of my old 7200gs and whats wrong with overkill? i might get a hd monitor soon
  3. How do you know when the card will be released in your area?

    You stated 1440x900, and never said anything about upgrading the screen.

    If you are going to get a new screen @ 1680x 1050 or higher then go with the 460 1Gb.

    Its either the 5830 or 460, not the 5770 since it's in a lower bracket performance-wise ;)
  4. Get the GTX460, it outperforms the HD5770,HD5830,GTX275,GTX280 and is futureproof, also ure getting a new monitor anyway so a HD5770 wont be enough to run at 1920x1080 on new releases on max..
  5. GTX 460 1gb, I bought one and I am a cheap bastard who still uses CRT monitors.
  6. good so the gts 460 is good enough and the diffrence is only 350 EGP and i already have that amount so why not
  7. Here is an article that clearly shows the GTX460 consistently beating the HD5770 in a variety of games:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/1

    Overkill is not necessarily a bad thing.
  8. Yes and they overclock like nothing else out there, like a bat out of hell.
  9. not really interested in overclocking my main reason for switching was drivers unless Nvidia drivers suck as well *gulp*
  10. oh but nobody told me how long it is compared to the 5770
  11. Nvidia drivers will always be superior to AMD's drivers, it's always been this way.. Not that I am having any driver issues but normally when you install a fresh NV driver you are less prone to encounter a driver related issue. I have been using both brands for quite some time and in my personal experience NV drivers are hassle free for the most part.
  12. With Nvidia drivers, there are plenty of options to try out beta and WHQL versions. One version may be better than another for your system, but in general their drivers are pretty solid and are updated frequently. I am not an AMD/ATI user, so I don't know about their drivers, except I believe they have less frequent updates and fewer beta versions available to test on your system.
  13. gr8 so so nVidia beats the crap out of ati in drivers but how long is the EVGA gtx 460 ?
  14. theunkown said:
    oh but nobody told me how long it is compared to the 5770



    They are small compared to most cards out there. The largest cards top 30-35cm while this about is smaller than a 9800gt/3870/4830/4850/4870. It is comparible to that of a 5770 in size while only being just slightly longer.
  15. 17seconds said:
    With Nvidia drivers, there are plenty of options to try out beta and WHQL versions. One version may be better than another for your system, but in general their drivers are pretty solid and are updated frequently. I am not an AMD/ATI user, so I don't know about their drivers, except I believe they have less frequent updates and fewer beta versions available to test on your system.

    It's actually the other way around, ATi release a new driver every month and have done so for the last four years or so but Nvidia release a driver as and when they can be bothered it seems.


  16. Big ass card on top



    5770 with out cooler



    GTX460 top and back
  17. Mousemonkey said:
    It's actually the other way around, ATi release a new driver every month and have done so for the last four years or so but Nvidia release a driver as and when they can be bothered it seems.

    still the drivers they release are stable.
  18. so the gtx 460 is the better option thx guys
  19. theunkown said:
    still the drivers they release are stable.

    I can't and won't deny that! ;)
  20. oh yeah stupid question but will a half tower be enough for it?
  21. I use a mid-tower case with a GTX480. Not all cases have the same dimensions, but a GTX460 should be fine.
  22. Mousemonkey said:
    It's actually the other way around, ATi release a new driver every month and have done so for the last four years or so but Nvidia release a driver as and when they can be bothered it seems.



    In looking at the Guru3d driver downloads sections, ATI has had 11 Catalyst driver releases in 2010 for Win 7/Vista 32-bit, while Nvidia has had 19 driver releases for Win 7/Vista 32-bit during the same period.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---NVIDIA-ForceWare-Vista_c32.html
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Windows-Vista_c31.html
  23. well i dont really care iam not an NVIDIA OR ATI fan boy i just want performance and stability for the price ATI offers high performance but low stability Nvidia has mid - high performance and high stability +the 460kicks the crap outta the 5770
  24. 17seconds said:
    In looking at the Guru3d driver downloads sections, ATI has had 11 Catalyst driver releases in 2010 for Win 7/Vista 32-bit, while Nvidia has had 19 driver releases for Win 7/Vista 32-bit during the same period.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---NVIDIA-ForceWare-Vista_c32.html
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Windows-Vista_c31.html

    True, but the Nvidia drivers are not released to any schedule sometimes there are two or three in a month then there might be a three month gap and some of those are Dell drivers and some are Quadro and some don't support all cards.
  25. Mousemonkey said:
    True, but the Nvidia drivers are not released to any schedule sometimes there are two or three in a month then there might be a three month gap and some of those are Dell drivers and some are Quadro and some don't support all cards.

    well i still say waiting for 4 months for ONE WORKING driver is better than waiting one month for a bad driver
  26. theunkown said:
    well i dont really care iam not an NVIDIA OR ATI fan boy i just want performance and stability for the price ATI offers high performance but low stability Nvidia has mid - high performance and high stability +the 460kicks the crap outta the 5770


    Sir, you have no idea what you are talking about. My 5850 is as stable as can be as long as I have the correct driver. The 5770 is not even in the same bracket as the 460, its the 5830 ;)

    5770 compares to the GTS 450

    5830 compares to the GTX 460

    5850 compares to the GTX 470

    etc, etc....
  27. well i really do have no idea what IAM talking about.
    I am deeling with numbers and fps and other people's opinions since i have zero experience with both brands.
    iam answering driver questions based on what i have been told from other people.
    I may Not have a single problem with the 5770 and have a hell of a lot of problems with the gtx 460 everything is possible in egypt. :D
  28. theunkown said:
    well i really do have no idea what IAM talking about.
    I am deeling with numbers and fps and other people's opinions since i have zero experience with both brands.
    iam answering driver questions based on what i have been told from other people.
    I may Not have a single problem with the 5770 and have a hell of a lot of problems with the gtx 460 everything is possible in egypt. :D


    The only real-world difference between top end AMD and NV cards is the tessellation capabilities, in this case NV comes out on top. Has nothing to do with "low stability"....
  29. hmm well i guess i should stop talking now cuz i am making a fool of my self :l
  30. at your current resolution a 5770 will be more than enough
    and it will be quite a bit cheaper you said you may update to a full HD
    monitor how long from now will that be ?
    if it will be more than a year I would just get a new card then and sell the 5770 for whatever you can get
  31. but the problem is the driver issues that have been going around have unnerved me about ati so i looked up the gtx 460 768MB and its better than the 5770.
    although iam not sure when am i getting a new monitor might be a year might be 2 not sure atm and if i get the 5770 with the extra money i could afford andother 2gb stick of ddr3 ram if ati get decent drivers out then hell yeah i would go with the 5770.
    Oh and the GTX 460 has Physx and 3d vision which is not bad.
    and i am not planning on changing that card for a few years BTW ill prolly drop gaming when iam 17 or 18.
  32. Well Ati has good drivers great even but in the end the 460 is the better card
    but seems like more than you need when you could easily get more ram as well.
    Although I can say the 460 768 versionis better it still will not be good enough to play on high @ 1080p...if your are like me and want to turn things up.
  33. alright well the truth being that the chances of getting the 1080P monitor is kinda of slim its there but its still a chance. so i think iam gonna go with the Nvidia one. and i havent had any driver problems with the 7200gs with the latest drivers
  34. I have xp so I am limited
    but from my understanding 10.4 is the most widely used (among my coworkers)
  35. ok well ill see my options iam still leaning towards the gtx460 but with the 5770 and 4gigz of ddr3 ram that would be gr8
  36. oh yeah and iam SO stupid to not have mentioned this iam using windows 7 32-bit so do drivers have problems with it?
  37. so your going for the 1gb version? if just the 768mb then you may as well get the 5770 and 4gb ram. Going overkill is better than the card being roadkill in a years time.
  38. i was gonna go with the 768mb but thinking back it does seem kinda overkill iam just worried when it comes to to taking a risk with shi**y drivers
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Monitors Graphics