Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 580

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2010 8:51:04 AM

Well, I seem to have fallen into the terribly common confusion surrounding the purchasing of a PC. I've seen quite a few threads here where people come in asking if a computer is good enough for running so-and-so, but I feel that I must unfortunately jump onto that bandwagon. I've been looking around for a PC for the past two months or so that can meet various needs such as standard Internet use, multimedia and games. It doesn't need to be high end, though I'm willing to go upwards of $800. As far as gaming is concerned, all I really care about are the Civilization series, the Total War Series and Team Fortress 2. Games on the level of Left 4 Dead 2 and maybe even Modern Warfare 2 would be dandy, but that's not nearly my objective.

Right now, the Inspiron 580 seems to be closest to my preferences, though I'd need to do a bit of tweaking to get it just right:

Processor : Intel® Core™ i5-760 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Hard Drive: 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
Modem: No Modem Option
Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers: No Speaker Option
Wireless: Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card

From the looks of things, I'd have to replace the GPU with a Radeon 5670 or up, which isn't too much trouble. As it stands now, it would cost me $730 all-in-all.

Would any of you find this to be a solid PC, or should I continue looking? If so, do you have any recommendations?

On a side note, I've had a lot of recommendations to build my own PC, which I would love to do... except that I'm genuinely quite pressed in terms of time and abilities. If I can get a prebuilt PC, that would be ideal.

All my thanks!

More about : dell inspiron 580

October 27, 2010 9:01:53 AM

its a dell. they will probably be a bitch about you replacing the graphics card, or just anything at all.

Furthermore there is way too much ram in that system to be used effectively. 4GB is more than enough.

I would look for something else or consider building yourself, as your friends have said.
m
l
October 27, 2010 12:21:19 PM

That build is terribly optimized for your needs. Too much RAM, weak graphics card, over powerful CPU.

When you build yourself you can make sure it is personally optimized for your needs. Building is not hard and not long. The hardest part is choosing parts but that can be done by us, by the sounds of it you have some friends that could help you with building. If you've got help it should take you a MAX of 2 hours to get windows all setup with your programs and stuff. Building is the way to go, you get better warranties and learn that you can upgrade your own PC, etc.

If you were building I'd say you'd be looking at around a Phenom II X4 955 with a HD6850 or 6870.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2010 12:29:54 PM

Wolygon said:
If you were building I'd say you'd be looking at around a Phenom II X4 955 with a HD6850 or 6870.
More or less what I would be telling him to get. In fact, you can probably get that for roundabout the same budget, and this will give a lot more gaming oomph :bounce: 
m
l
November 22, 2010 12:30:30 AM

Well, having taken my friends' suggestions and these extremely helpful posts into consideration, I suppose I'll have to switch my objective to building a computer. I'm fine with that, even if it remains daunting. At least I can add it to my list of achievements. :p 

Whereabouts would I go on this website for advice on the parts I should get?
m
l
!