Please I need some advice!

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I just put together my new build. Im really afraid I have done something terribly wrong. Im pretty noob at this, did one build for like 10 years ago without any problems, but so much have changed since then in aspect to connectors and cables and stuff. So here is my scenario:

When i booted up the first time everything seemed fine, I got into bios. But within half a minute I started smell something burned. Seconds later it came smoke up out of my top case exhaust fan. In panic I just turned of the power switch on the psu and pulled out all the power cables.

Waiting for about 5 minutes (for everything to cool down) I reset CMOS jumper on the mobo and tried turn it on again. It starts but turn off in about a second later. The fans and led lights starts, but turn off again right away. When the psu switch on the back is turned on, the green power led lamp on my mobo is on. If it try to push the power button again after it has turned off nothing happens. If I turn of the power, wait for a moment and put it back on the same thing happens that it turns on for a second for then dying again.

My setup is this:

Case: Antech Six Hundred Midi Tower
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, Socket-AM3
CPU: Amd Athlon II x3 445
Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9 (Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (Yes I put on thermal paste on cpu and removed the plastic sticker from the rib before put it on)
PSU: Chieftec Super Series 650W, ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Modular, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, 7200RPM, SATA 3.0 Gbps, 3,5", 32MB Cache, 8.9ms
DVD: Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223C, 22x DVD, DVDRAM, SATA, Black, Bulk
Graphic Card: Saving to buy the XFX Radeon HD 6850

I used 6Gb/s cables for connecting HDD and DVD to the mobo. Can this be the reason that I have to use the ordinary SATA cables instead?
I put the memory in the blue slots for dual channel. The power slot for the cpu had a "cap" over 4 pins. The psu have a fixed 4 pin cpu connector but after reading on the internet i took away the "cap" on the cpu power slot and inserted a 8 pin into the psu and used this to connect to the cpu power slot instead.

I don't have an old computer that I can borrow compnents from to check if it is the PSU or to check if the memory is ok.
Anyone have any idea or experienced the same thing and know what I can do or try to fix this?

I really appreciate any suggestions and help.

I'm planning to take it apart after work today and maybe try the stock cpu cooler and try the ordinary SATA cables later, and maybe the 4 pin cpu power instead of the 8 pin.

In advance thank you for your help.

The memory should be OK. That said, you never know until you try it.
Try seating the power slot cap back on and use the remainder of the slot for connecting the power plug for the CPU. Always make sure the power connectors go in without a lot of strain, they have matched shapes if you look close enough to them. Each pin is surrounded by a shaped sleeve that should match the receptacles on the power plug on the mobo.

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the link cmcghee358. I will go through it step by step when I come home.

house70

- I'm certain that i plugged it in the right way or it would'nt go all the way down, and i'd would'nt be able to get into bios as I did the first boot up. I'll give the 4 pin a try instead of the 8 pin.

I'm just afraid that I might have burned some of the hardware allready and by trying to boot it up again will do even more harm to it. The smoke I explained earlier, does anyone know if it can be linked to a specific piece ie. hdd, dvdrom, psu etc?

I find it really strange that everything seemed to be working the first boot up but just 30 sec later smoke arises up throught the top exhaust fan of the case.

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Another thing, I have a cable from the case that is named speaker, on the end it splits into one named hdaudio and the other one ac'97. Which one to use or should I use both? And is it correct that it shall go into the spdif slot on the mobo?

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Ahh I finally got it to work.. I had put this +5V D- D+ Ground cable wrong. The cable allmost melted :-/

But this is a never ending story. When I boot up and press DEL button to go into bios this message comes up:

It tells me about usb devices sata1: IDE Hard Disk sata2: Atapi CD-Rom. and on the bottom of this message it says please enter Setuo to recover BIOS settings. CMOS Date/Time Not Set, USB Devices over current status detected !! System will shut down after 15 seconds.

I have tried to Clear RTC RAM by moving the jumper cap. Ive also tried to remove the onboard battery and then move the jumper cap. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone got any suggestions? Wondering if there is something wrong with my mobo?!

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I have a usb keyboard and a usb mouse connected on the back of the case (think it's called I/O). The Cooler Master Hyper 212 + is connected to the cpu fan spot/slot. I chat with an technician from asutek yesterday and he told med that the card probably has a bad bios, and told me to send it back to the vendor. It is the first time I ever heard that the bios is bad. Anyone else heard it before?

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah i'll send it back today. Ordered an identical mobo yesterday ready to pick up today after work. How is it possible to flash bios when I can't get into the old one to set boot from cd rom/flash disk/drive?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Remove the CPU and take a 9v battery and press it on the pin holes. If the pins are recessed, spit in the holes to ensure the voltage jumps the gap.

Just kidding, you're probably right, you wouldn't be able to without access to BIOS.

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I had the same problem with the new motherboard. But when I removed the USB 2.0 (+5V D- D+ GRD (4 pins)) cable for the front I/O of my Antec Six Hundred case form the mobo I got into bios. OS and BIOS is working fine now but haven't tested the front usb yet to see if they work. The mobo had to connectors with it. One was for the Power Reset switch Led, HDD etc. and the other one is marked with the +5V D- D+ GRD on one side (the side with .... (4) pins) and the other side is marked the same as over but with NCC or something with ..... (5) pins.

I plugged this connector into one of the usb slots on the mobo and the +5V D- D+ GRD onto the side with 4 pins (since it is only 4 pins on the cable). Leaving the other side open since I can't seem to find any with cable from the I/O front that is marked +5V D- D+ GRD NCC. This was actually the problem that refused me to get into BIOS.

But where the hell is this cable supposed to be plugged in?

I had this cable plugged onto the biggest connector (the one with led pwr rst etc) the first time I booted and the smoke coming up from the top of my case came from this cable beacuse it startet to melt.

Should I just leave it or what to do?

Btw. sorry for terrible description but it is not that easy expressing myself as english is not my native language.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Honestly I just don't think I can wrap my mind around your problem. First of all, USB 2.0 is a 7 female pin connector. So I'm not exactly sure what you plugged into your USB 2.0 slot, but it wasn't the USB cable. My guess is you plugged your front case wires into a random 4-pin header on your motherboard, rather than the color-coded front panel headers with 2-pin color set ups for each switch/light.

matta85

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Okey, thanks will do.. I'm not sure it i'll get it done today cause I am moving to another flat this weekend so have alot of tasks in front of me. Another thing, I have a Akasa 12 cm Emperor Blue ( http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fans&type_sub=Ultra Quiet Fan&model=AK-191-BL ) fan in front of my Antech Six hundred case.

How do I know if it is pulling or pushing? I wan't it to pull because the two other fans preinstalled in the case is exhaust. I have it mounted just in front of my hdd. I'm planning to oc a little bit so need to know it is good airflow throughout the case. I'll take pics so you can see.. And again thanks for all your help and quick response cmcghee358, really appreciate it!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Easiest way, is if it's running, put a piece of paper against it. If it pulls the paper and holds it it's pulling. If the paper lifts off, it's pushing.

If it's not running, most of the time you can find an arrow imprinted on the side of the fan assembly and that arrow shows airflow direction.