Continuous Reboot; No Post; No Beeps

Tanto

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Okay so here is the deal. My friend just bought parts for a brand new PC that I put together for him last night. Everything went together without any problems and booted up just fine. Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply

Here is the problem. I got him all set up and told him what to install and in what order to install and went home after his window's 7 install had started. I got a call from him about 15 minutes later saying the computer was no longer working. He had walked out of the room and then came in to a blank screen and the computer constantly rebooting. The computer would power up for a half second, 1 second tops, and then restart. The PSU fan, CPU fan, GPU fan all turned on but neither of the case fans did. The video card has some LEDs that lit up and the MB has a Boot Doctor LED thing that flashes 00 before instantly turning off with the rest of the computer. You also heard a quick noise from the DVD drive when the computer would power up.

So far I've tried switching out the ram and putting in 1 stick at a time in two different slots. I've tried to boot without ram at all to no avail. I've unhooked the HD and DVD drive and still didn't boot. I took out the GPU and wireless card and still wouldn't boot. I've also taken the MB out of the case and have it set up on my desk (on a static bag) and have the PSU on my desk with it; so with just the CPU and fan on the MB it still won't boot.

One thing I did notice is that when I was unscrewing the MB from the case (all stand off's were correctly installed) I noticed what seemed to be some corrosion around each metal ring that surrounds the screw holes. It was a white powder like substance that was sitting on the metal, it wasn't very much but I noticed it at nearly every hole.

What I want to know is does this sound like the MB shorted out? Should I have him RMA the MB back? Could the CPU be blown as well, or instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading through my massive post.

titopuente

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
from what you have said and what i know that is most likely what is wrong. i have a computer right now with the same issue and ive been researching for about 2 months with no resolutions at all. you cant get into Bios or safemode or anything like that at all can you?

Tanto

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Well it looks like the MB did in fact short out not long after the first boot. My friend RMA'd the MB and I rebuilt his system with the new board and it booted up just fine and has been working since Tuesday without an issue.

Best bet is if it's a new system RMA the board back, if it's not you probably are going to need to buy a new MB.