My new PC

I'm looking for a new pc.

This is the setup that I have in my mind right now:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 950 (with a Zalman CNPS10x Quiet fan)
Graphics card: ATI HD 6870 (Asus EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5)
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E motherboard
Memory: OCZ 6GB DDR3-1333 Tri-Kit (CL7)
Power supply: OCZ Z-Series OCZZ-850M (850 Watt)
HDD: 2x Samsung HD103SJ (1TB)
Casefan: Noctua NF-P14 FLX

I also want a dvd-burner and offcourse a case, but I can figure that out myself.

Any comments or things that I can improve? I think I have no bottlenecks in this system, but offcourse I can be wrong. I'm thinking about putting the HDD's in a RAID0 setup. Will that have a notable advantage over a non-RAID setup? I want to run Windows 7 x64.

Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. What is the pc going to be used for?
  2. Gaming, Adobe Photoshop, and some other tasks. I also want the PC to have a minimum 4-year lifespan. I understand that I won't be able to play Crysis 2015 on high settings, but I do want this PC to be able to run Windows 2015 smoothly as a figure of speach.

I am satisfied about the quality and the performance of the components, but I want to know if there are things that can be better. I'm mostly interested if there are other products around the same pricerange that perform better, of products that are cheaper but perform the same.
  3. This is the only thing i would change:

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998778
    $125

Instead of what you have now.
  4. Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my retailer doesn't sell Mushkin memory. I live in the Netherlands, and almost no retailer carries that brand. Is OCZ good as well, or are there other brands that are better? My retailer carries Corsair, G.Skill, Geil, Kingston, Kingston HyperX, Kingston Valueram and OCZ.
  5. Out of those brands i would recomend G Skill. OCZ is a good brand but they tend to have boot issues and other random errors with some of there products. G Skill is a little cheaper but they are a quality brand.
  6. Ok, thanks. I have one more question. What is better, a heatsink CPU cooler or a fan CPU cooler? And which brand/model would you advise?
  7. A heatink cooler is the same as a fan cooler. It just doesn't have the fan and has larger fins. I prefer a cpu heatsink with a fan. The seem to do a better job.

Here are some great coolers at a couple different levels of cooling:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
    $30

or

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
    $60

or if you want some more extreme cooling try:

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
    $80
  8. CPU coolers are generally a heatsink and fan combo so I'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean a passive heatsink only cooler, the only benefit is that its completely quiet (other than the other fans/drives you have) but those are generally massive. Fan ones will generally have a heatsink as well but comparably smaller than the passive ones.

My recommendation is the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus for a great performance/price. But if you want top of the line air cooling, it would be the Noctua NH-D14.
  9. Thanks. I meant a passive heatsink only indeed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems