Toshiba 750GB External Hard disk showing only 32GB now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagabathula1984

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hello,

I have purchased recently Toshiba External Hard disk of 750GB capacity along with the New Toshiba Laptop. I have copied some data files and songs and movies, etc... in the external hard disk.
I tried to make recover data of my laptop, so I used this 750GB hard disk. Once I started to use this for recovery all the data in the Hard disk has been removed and now it is showing only 32GB capacity overall not 750GB..

How can I recover this external hard disk for 750GB again???????

Please help me with some solution or send me some link so that I can use it to recover my 750GB hard disk capacity back.

Alex Foster

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
The issue with my hard drive was the computer created a partition on it somehow... still not sure how it did it.

This may also work if your hard drive doesn't even show up in the My Computer window

You have to delete any partition on the disk already through Computer Management -> Disk Managament

Then right-click on the external hard drive's unnallocated area and click the create button

Follow the Wizard program to format the drive to the new (corrected) size.

Natasha Loyer

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

ref68

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Hi I have the same ptoblem now I need to know how to format my external hard drive and not to lose all the files I have?
thanks
refet.

ref68

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Do I loose all the files I have in there?

Eduardo Gil

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Hi,

Here is the answer to your question, the tutorial is to recover unallocated memory of SD cards but in fact works with any kind of internal or external memory you want to reclaim.

You must be "very careful" when you do the process because you could erase all memory of the machine on which you're working.

I hope this is useful!

See the attached link:
http://www.howtogeek.com/170794/ask-htg-how-can-i-reclaim-the-full-capacity-of-an-sd-card/

gladiatorwar

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Go to my computer
Right click
Go to manage
then go to disk management

you will see your hard drive partition there, since your actual external HDD is 750GB, you will see 32GB partition and rest of partition as allocated drive , click left and then make it new simple volume. This worked on my computer, as I had the same problem

audan94

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I found a simple solution. Go to Disk Management and right click on your C: drive and select Extend Volume. Go thru the wizard and it will say your only option is the Unallocated space. Just click Next on through and Finish. It will add the Unallocated space to your C: drive. No reboot needed.

JustM1ke

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Just a slight correction in case someone is reading this page for insight. Partitioning does not have to be destructive, many programs will move and resize partitions and keep all of the existing data intact - so long as the partition that data resides in is not made smaller than the size of the data.

Rosie_JoJo

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

TeckyTime

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Try backing up the drive, and then reformatting it with sdformatter, but under options select change volume size or change volume size or something of the nature
Fat 32 only supports drives upto 32gb, hence the name FAT32

JustM1ke

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

FAT32 supports up to 2 TB with 512 byte sectors and 16TB with 4096-byte sectors. The 32 is because the cluster values are 32-bit numbers. Further, the only reason FAT32 is limited to 2TB/16TB is because the boot sector uses a 32-bit number for the cluster count.

My Toshiba 3TB and 2TB drives exhibited the same problem and all I had to do was use the Disk Manager to allocate all the unused space to the existing active partition.

John Michael_3

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.