Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU failing?

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2011 4:07:30 PM

I have a CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W PSU. I am wondering if this is the source of my problem: sometimes when I start or restart my system, it will appear to boot for a split second (lights come on the fans, etc.) but then it shuts down! Once I turn off the PSU with the toggle switch in the back of the PSU for several seconds, then turn that back on, I can start the computer up normally. Is this a problem with my PSU, or some other component? Thanks!

More about : psu failing

January 21, 2011 4:36:41 PM

Quote:
Hi

Can you tell me what switch at the back of your psu?

But Corsair replaces the units quick. Go to their forums. Theyll tell you to send it back. They'll give you a new one. Their customer service is very good

I think he is referring to the POWER switch on the back of the PSU.
m
l
January 21, 2011 4:37:51 PM

Yes, the POWER switch on the back of the PSU.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2011 4:38:51 PM

Major Sirius said:
I have a CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W PSU. I am wondering if this is the source of my problem: sometimes when I start or restart my system, it will appear to boot for a split second (lights come on the fans, etc.) but then it shuts down! Once I turn off the PSU with the toggle switch in the back of the PSU for several seconds, then turn that back on, I can start the computer up normally. Is this a problem with my PSU, or some other component? Thanks!

Could be a problem with a bad capacitor in the PSU or on the mainboard. When you switch off the power or unplug it, it will discharge a moment. When you turn it back on, then it's fine? So it sounds like a cap in the PSU or on the MB. Do you have another PSU to try in the system? So you can rule out the MB?
m
l
January 21, 2011 4:39:35 PM

A good way to check if your PSU is failing is to monitor its currents and voltages. HWmonitor shows some of these and so does Speedfan. With the Corsair TX series, you should be seeing very stable voltages and currents. For example, the +12V rail is probably going to show up at like 12.41V and you may never see it fluctuate as large as 0.01V at any point when your machine is on.

Some voltages like your CPU VCore may fluctuate as your processor state changes so the +12V & +5V would be good to watch because they should be stable. If these voltages fluctuate by more than 0.3V, then you should send the unit back to Corsair. These units are supposed to have almost no fluctuation.
m
l
!