Can't overclock GT 230m

MCForce

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I have an HP Pavilion DV 7 - 3170 with:

i7 Q720 @1.6ghz with turbo boost to 2.8ghz
6 gig DDR3 RAM
Geforce GT 230m 1 gig DDR3

My problem is I can only install the official Nvidia drivers and the ones from HP. I was under the impression to overclock you needed to install another set of drivers, the most recent being 259.32 They will not install on my computer and say the driver pack is not compatible with the hardware on my system. Riva Tuner will not work with my current driver configuration so it tells me when I open it, also none of the overclocking options are available. Has anyone else ran into this problem or overclocked an HP laptop?

I know the 230m is not a great card and overclocking a laptop is not usually a good idea but I still want to be able to do it.

MCForce

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
There is a point. Knowledge. As I stated before I am already aware OC'ing is not advisable, but I still want to know how to do it. The 230M can easily be bumped up to run at the speeds of a 240M with no trouble.

Afterburner seems to be working! Thanks for that link. I still don't understand why Rivatuner will not work, or why I get that driver error when installing the forceware.