USB Driver for Inspiron 700m?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 16, 2005 6:38:06 PM

I recently repartitioned the hard drive on my 700m.
Then reinstalled XP Pro and the Dell driver set.
Everything on the laptop works great now (faster
than before). Except --- each time I boot up, XP
finds a new device -- a "Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Controller." There are already a set of USB
drivers installed, and the USB ports are working ok.
How can I either find the missing USB driver or at
least stop this recurring message?

thanks for listening

chuck
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 17, 2005 1:54:13 PM

Chuck,
I've never seen that exact issue on a laptop. but if have frequently
notices similar usb issues on new name brand desktops. What usualy
seems to fix the problem is going into device manager (through system
properties), and removing all devices listed under "USB Controlers"
from the list. Then go ahead and restart the system and let it
re-detect all the USB devices.

I hope this fixes the problem.

-David
January 17, 2005 11:56:30 PM

DnE.Brown@gmail.com wrote:
> Chuck,
> I've never seen that exact issue on a laptop. but if have frequently
> notices similar usb issues on new name brand desktops. What usualy
> seems to fix the problem is going into device manager (through system
> properties), and removing all devices listed under "USB Controlers"
> from the list. Then go ahead and restart the system and let it
> re-detect all the USB devices.
>
> I hope this fixes the problem.
>
> -David

Nope. Once again, found the working 3 USB Controllers and their
root hubs and installed the correct drivers. USB ports work
just fine --- again.

Then XP Pro again went on to find a fourth USB Controller for
which it cannot find a driver. I'm just gonna disable
the %$#@ thing and give up. Beaten by M$ again.
Related resources
January 18, 2005 11:48:35 PM

In article <2EVGd.9647$C52.1432@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net says...
> DnE.Brown@gmail.com wrote:
> > Chuck,
> > I've never seen that exact issue on a laptop. but if have frequently
> > notices similar usb issues on new name brand desktops. What usualy
> > seems to fix the problem is going into device manager (through system
> > properties), and removing all devices listed under "USB Controlers"
> > from the list. Then go ahead and restart the system and let it
> > re-detect all the USB devices.
> >
> > I hope this fixes the problem.
> >
> > -David
> >
> Nope. Once again, found the working 3 USB Controllers and their
> root hubs and installed the correct drivers. USB ports work
> just fine --- again.
>
> Then XP Pro again went on to find a fourth USB Controller for
> which it cannot find a driver. I'm just gonna disable
> the %$#@ thing and give up. Beaten by M$ again.

On my Dell 700m, the device manager shows the following under Universal
Serial Bus controllers:
- Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
- Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
- Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
- Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
So on my system, I am showing 4 USB controllers. Which one are you
missing?
January 19, 2005 5:51:50 AM

Unknown wrote:
> In article <2EVGd.9647$C52.1432@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net says...
>
>>DnE.Brown@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Chuck,
>>>I've never seen that exact issue on a laptop. but if have frequently
>>>notices similar usb issues on new name brand desktops. What usualy
>>>seems to fix the problem is going into device manager (through system
>>>properties), and removing all devices listed under "USB Controlers"
>>>from the list. Then go ahead and restart the system and let it
>>>re-detect all the USB devices.
>>>
>>>I hope this fixes the problem.
>>>
>>>-David
>>>

>>Nope. Once again, found the working 3 USB Controllers and their
>>root hubs and installed the correct drivers. USB ports work
>>just fine --- again.
>>
>>Then XP Pro again went on to find a fourth USB Controller for
>>which it cannot find a driver. I'm just gonna disable
>>the %$#@ thing and give up. Beaten by M$ again.
>>

> On my Dell 700m, the device manager shows the following under Universal
> Serial Bus controllers:
> - Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
> - Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
> - Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
> - Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
> - USB Root Hub
> - USB Root Hub
> - USB Root Hub
> - USB Root Hub
> So on my system, I am showing 4 USB controllers. Which one are you
> missing?

The 2.0.

Gonna go re-install XP Pro and all the updates -- again.

thanks

chuck
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 20, 2005 3:34:01 PM

chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>finds a new device -- a "Universal Serial Bus (USB)
>Controller." There are already a set of USB
>drivers installed, and the USB ports are working ok.

Try running a hardware diagnostic. Sometimes USB bits can be broken
enough to not respond properly to the "What are you?" request...
January 21, 2005 12:02:09 AM

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> chuck <ccREMOVEiaffone@earthlinDELETEk.net> wrote:
>
>>finds a new device -- a "Universal Serial Bus (USB)
>>Controller." There are already a set of USB
>>drivers installed, and the USB ports are working ok.
>

> Try running a hardware diagnostic. Sometimes USB bits can be broken
> enough to not respond properly to the "What are you?" request...

I reinstalled XP Pro and SP1 and everything works fine now.

I dunno.

Thanks for the info

chuck
!