Sign in with
Your question

1 beep from case speaker, system turns off after about 5 minutes...

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2010 6:15:16 PM

Edited: I figured out the display problem. This is a new problem however.

So I posted a while back about building a PC, and I got all of the parts yesterday. After about 5 hours, I thought I had it all assembled. Here are the components:

Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advance
CPU: Core i5 750
GPU: eVGA GTS 450
Motherboard: MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 HDMI ATX
RAM: Patriot Gaming Series 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR3
PSU: Cooler Master 650W ATX 12V
HDD: Seagate 500 GB
DVD Drive: LG DVD Burner

So I have everything assembled, system turns on, and I hear 1 short beep. Now, Google tells me this is a DRAMS refresh failure? And that it's RAM related? Now I tried to unhook the ram, switch the spots on the board, and plug it back in, but I got the same problem. Is this perhaps faulty RAM? Or is a motherboard/power supply issue?
October 27, 2010 7:55:38 PM

does it work on a regular monitor using either the DVI or VGA output?
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2010 8:21:43 PM

masterasia said:
does it work on a regular monitor using either the DVI or VGA output?

I don't own a regular monitor. I will try to hook it through a VGA-DVI adapter when I get home.
m
l
October 28, 2010 12:49:39 AM

Bump. I figured out the display problem, now I have a new one. Please see first post.
m
l
October 28, 2010 3:57:11 AM

Does it even post?? Try these..

Make sure the rams are inserted into the slots completely and just just partially.

Try running one stick at a time to see if it's just a bad stick.

Try running a stick of ram you know is working, i.e. from another PC.

Make sure the timings and voltages are set correctly in the bios for the ram.
m
l
October 28, 2010 1:03:22 PM

It posts, in as much as I am able to get into my BIOS screen, and even begin installing Windows 7.

Is it ok to just have one stick of RAM in, and not 2? And I don't have any other RAM laying around, my only other computer is a laptop.
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:11:23 PM

So your system works now?
It's okay to only have one stick of ram. Your computer will just run a little slower.
You're not using your computer to its' full potential if you don't run it in dual channel.

The cheapie computers from Best Buy sometimes only come with 1 stick of ram and they advertise it as having 2GB. Consumers don't know this sometimes and end up buying a slow computer.
m
l
October 28, 2010 5:26:44 PM

No, it doesn't work. It will turn on...and I hear a single beep about 10 seconds later. That indicates a DRAM failure. The system will stay on for about 4-5 minutes, and then shut itself off. I tried putting just one stick in, in each of the slots, both sticks in different slots, and every other combo, but I still get the same 1 beep and the same shutdown.
m
l
October 28, 2010 8:51:02 PM

Try running Memtest86+ on your ram.

If you're into the BIOS, set all the settings back to default.

Is the system overheating?

You could have a bad board? or bad ram?

Try booting with no HDD and no Video card. Just use the onboard video.
m
l
!