Asrock Motherboard Doesn't Post, Error Code 54

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi friends,

I recently purchased an Asrock 890GX Pro3 mobo because my older one was cracked in shipping (lesson learned...never ship something fragile via USPS, regardless of insurance). I connected everything, then tried to start it, but I got no post. Instead, I got error code 54, which, according to my manual, means "unspecified memory initialization error".

This sounds pretty ambiguous, and I'm really bummed because I've been working on my build for the past 4 weeks trying to get it working again. I imagine there has to be some issue with the memory, and I saw in some forum that my board doesn't support ECC memory, but I don't think mine is ECC. I have 2 sticks of 2GB Patriot memory at 1600MHz...here's the model: Patriot PDC34G1600LLK

If anyone knows what's up, I'll be deeply grateful. I'll buy another few gigs of RAM if I have to, but I've put so much money into this thing that it just kills me to have it sitting uselessly around.

Thanks,
xcsteve

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Try running it with one stick of memory to see if it posts. If not, switch sticks. If that fails and you have access to another computer, you can download and burn an ISO of Memtest 86 to test your memory.

According to a Google search, you do have non ECC

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I should have mentioned it, but I already did that. I tried every combination I could think of for single sticks of memory.

On the other note, I do have access to another computer, but it's a laptop, so I can't test the memory in it.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
You can if your motherboard supports it and you set the USB device 1st in the boot order (in the BIOS).

On second thought, I don't think that will work. When you download the program from Memtest, you have to burn it to an
ISO image.

wait a minute, im hella confused, if it wont post then he cant run memtest since the pc isnt actually starting up right? you mean post as in the preliminary diagnostic test that the mobo does automatically, then sometimes you hear a little beep saying its okay... right?

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
No problem.

Yes, I was using an MSI 790FX-GD70, but that's what broke. Now I'm using the Asrock. I just ordered 4 gigs of G.Skill RAM from the list of accepted memory from Asrock, so I think I'm set...it should come in today, and I'll hopefully have my desktop up and running again this weekend. I'll let ya know what happens.

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks Michael! I'm finally typing to you from my desktop. And nope, my hard drives seem fine, I'm just sticking with them for now. Thank goodness everything is working now...

As a side note, for anyone who wonders, the G.Skill Ripjaw series of RAM looks absolutely insane. Probably the best looking thing in my case.

jacob610

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

I also got error code 54, when I read this forum I tried switching the RAM to another slot, and i got the pc working. Thanks.