Problems stemming from PSU?

camtweaks

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys, I hope I've got the right sub-cat here, I'm a first time poster on THW, but a huge fan.
I guess the best way to ask this question is to explain the problem I'm faced with.

first, all the info I can think of:
Motherboard: Asus Striker II Formula
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600
GFX: 1x EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS (512mb)
RAM: 2x 1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC6400
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w (overkill, much?)
extra info: the entire rig was built about 3 years ago, and this has happened since the start...)

Quite randomly (although predominantly after a power outage, which isn't uncommon here in Cape Town) when I press the power button on my PC I get a "pop" of power and then everything becomes dormant. Pressing the button again results in nothing at all.
The only solution I've found is to disconnect the ATX plug and reconnect it, but not completely. I need to hold it so the pins are connecting but not clicked in place. I power up and then press the plug in completely. Like I mentioned before, this has happened since day 1 when I tried powering everything up. Don't ask me why I didn't take the PSU back imediatly,

Phew. fun times, right?

Second part of the saga:
lately (past year or so) after this all happens, I get hit with a "DISK READ ERROR, PRESS...etc etc".
This is sorted out by disconnecting all the HDD's except the main system drive, allowing it to boot through to windows, then shutting down and reconnecting the rest of the drives.

Tonight has been exceptionally bad, and I currently only have two drives connected.
I'm at my wits end, I'm leaving to chicago soon, and am thinking of flogging the PSU, since it's completely overkill, but I also don't want to sell off a POS and then leave the country (..?)

Any ideas of what this could be caused by... would be appreciated beyond belief.
thanks again
Matt

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Sounds like a bad PSU that came deffective since the beggining, HDD's are one of the most sensitive parts of the system towards power issues, they're the ones who die faster from a unstable surge or PSU, definetly replace the psu, but don't scam anyone selling it.

Your drives and other components could have permanent damage from dealing with the bad psu, hopefully they'll be ok after you get a new one, and there won't be any adverse effects after that.

camtweaks

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys, thanks so much for the speedy reply! I guess I just didn't want to admit I'd dropped a large sum of cash on a POS power supply.
I'm quite concerned about my HDD's as I'm a photographer (with terrible backup strategies) and I'm thinking of maybe just going with fresh HDD's and a fresh PSU.

so to follow up:
1.Is there a way to test a PSU for "solidity" (haha, for lack of a better word)

2. Replacing the CMOS battery is a good idea in general, right? I'll get on that, I'm just not to sure where to get that type specifically.

3. I'm assuming 1200watts of power is overkill on my rig of 1gfx, 5hdd's, etc. How can I find out what my computer's sucking so I can get a moderate PSU? (my folks'll use this rig while i'm in Chi-town)

Thanks again!

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
You can download HWmonitor and test prime95 and furmark at the same time for about 30 minutes, both are torture tests that will make your PC draw it's very peak power, and let run hwmonitor in the background while you do that, then check the +12v, +5v and +3.3v mobo sensors, none of those values should exceed +/-5% from the original. And post a screenshot here.

And yes changing the mobo battery is a good idea, pop it out and check the amps/voltage on it, then buy a new identical one.