"Media Center" Need help with spec

Ripped90

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hi,

I am looking for some Advice, I want to build a Media Center that will (offc) be in the living room.

Okay, so thats what I have atm. I am currently using my HP laptop to stream media files to the TV, the only problem is that I also use the computer for other tasks.
So I want to see how the price will be if I build my own MCP compared to if I buy one from the store.

What I currently have:

- A Server with all the media I want,
- Gigabit Ethernet all the way to the TV
- 2x big speakers, with an amp.

What I will need:

- a computer with a small case, mini itx ?
- a spec that can handle full HD (1080p)
- a computer that ain't to loudy, after all its in the living room :)

I have set up a spec myself, please comment it and tell me what I need to change.

Spec :
Case: Ace Sonay Mini-ITX
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe, Socket-AM3 Mini ITX (My question to this is, will the internal graphic card be strong enough to handle full HD ?)
Graphic card: ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB PhysX CUDA (if the MB can handle it, I will offc skip this1, tho I don't know)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 ( Really unsure about how much investment I need to use on the cpu )
PSU: Corsair VX 550W PSU ( Another question, will a normal PSU be to big for the Mini-ITX case ? )
RAM: Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 4GB ( 2x 2GB)
HDD: I am really unsure if It's really needed for SSD or not, thinking about the temperature. but for now I am just thinking a 250gb normal SATA disc, prob Seagate.
Blueray player: I have really no clue witch to go for, the blueray will be used for playing movies and playing music. Feel free to pick one for me :)

I think that was all, if there is something I have forgotten just tell me right away :)
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
what is your overall price range?

For not much more than the GT 220 you can get a GTS 430, a very solid multimedia card, although tghe built-in 4250 is fine for 1080p video, it just won't manage HD audio at the same time, although you have optical outs for audio on the motherboard to connect to a receiver instead.

This case at $119 may be more, but it's integrated with a reliable 300W PSU, all you need for this build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163151

you might want an SSD for fast boot, but for storing films, you want a large drive. 1 TB, 1.5 TB, or 2 TB drives run $70, $85, $99
what is your overall price range?

For not much more than the GT 220 you can get a GTS 430, a very solid multimedia card, although tghe built-in 4250 is fine for 1080p video, it just won't manage HD audio at the same time, although you have optical outs for audio on the motherboard to connect to a receiver instead.

This case at $119 may be more, but it's integrated with a reliable 300W PSU, all you need for this build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163151

you might want an SSD for fast boot, but for storing films, you want a large drive. 1 TB, 1.5 TB, or 2 TB drives run $70, $85, $99

Solution

Ripped90

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Really nice suggestion, Thanks

To answer you question :

My overall price range was about 847 USD, what I am looking for as said is a computer that only will play the media files from the Server I have at home. So thats why im thinking SSD will be awesome. As said the fast boot is real nice, and I don't need much storing space at all. Since I only will stream the media.

Just to get a thing clear :) You say that I can remove the 550W PSU, and the Sonay Case. Then go for the SILVERSTONE SG06-B instead ?
One more thing, I won't use Optical output. Since I don't have that on the amp. I will only use the Red and white cable... I don't remember the name of those cables... Will the Graphic card on the MB handle it fine then ?

Thank you for reply :)

daship

Distinguished

+100, and SSD would be a waste, just let the media center sleep when not in use. I use XBMC for my media center and I love it.

$388AR
Untitled-1047.jpg

size, and thus room for things is the difference

ATX is the standard motherboard size, 305mm × 244mm or 12in x 9.6 in
Micro-ATX is smaller, 244x244 (9.6x9.6)
Mini-itx is smaller still, at 170x170 (6.7x6.7)

Basically the smaller you go, the less room for SATA ports, PCI ports, memory slots, etc, but the smaller the form factor of your PC and the smaller space it can fit in.

a note: the ITX board you listed IS better for a HTPC, as it has optical/digital outs for high-quality sound connection to a home theater, a built in wireless card and other things not usually found on a motherboard. It has only 2 memory slots and one PCIe slot however

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010