PSU upside down....right side up

pacific27

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I'm looking to put my HTPC into a new case. The case i purchased (Apex) has mounting for the power supply on the top of the case, while the HTPC case (Apevia) that I had was lying flat. The power supply that came with the Apevia case has a fain on the top of the psu which in that case worked well to vent the heat out the top of the case. But for the new case there is no where to vent the air as the case has no vent on the top...just the back.

My question being can I just install the psu upside down with no problems? I know that heat rises and that by doing this the hot air will be blown down onto the CPU but there is a front 120mm fan and a rear 80mm exhaust fan which should help to keep things cool and vent the air. just wondering if by doing so would it damage the psu or other components?

The Apevia case is actuall a good HTPC case but it's just a little to long for my cabinet it just barely fits

My main reason for swapping out the case's is that the new apex case is smaller and has a handle which should make it easy to move from room to room or take with me.

The power supply is a 500w apevia that came with the apevia HTPC case. I know it's cheap but it's been working for over a year now with no problems and would rather not buy something I don't necessarily need.

My HTPC

AMD Regor 2.9ghz
Biostar 880g+
Apevia 500w psu
Asus DVD
2GB Corsair DDR3 1333
160GB HDD
Apevia HTPC case

Since I upgraded my Gaming rig to a 6850 I want to put the 5670 in the HTPC which should still be a very low power draw and should be fine for the low end PSU

Thanks for any help on this topic

pacific27

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
It seems so obvious now, lol

With the layout in the other case it seemed that the air was being pulled in the front and vented out the top.

Guess putting it in upside down will help to vent the air from the case as if the case had a fan in the top.......Brilliant!!

Thanks for spelling out the obvious, had my shirt on inside out and didn't even know it, lol