Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking Athlon II x 3 Rana CPU Problems

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2011 7:55:16 PM

Hey Guys here is the deal. I just built a new PC. I am trying to unlock my Athlon II x3 Rana CPU. I am using the Asus M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard. I can get the cpu 4th core to unlock in bios, but when i try to get into windows 7 i get a quick blue screen and it statrts all over again. It boots into windows 7 just fine when i am running just the 3 cores.

I tried all kinds of different vcore settings and other adjustments in the bios and still no luck. Maybe you guys can help me get this thing running on all 4 cores and tell me how i should have my bios set right to boot into windows on all 4 cores.

Thank you
a c 866 à CPUs
January 21, 2011 8:10:00 PM

Well the reason AMD has the X3 is because of bad cores, it is just luck if you can unlock, do not count on it!
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
January 21, 2011 8:19:47 PM

Yup, looks like your fourth was disabled due to its being defective,
some will some wont as they say :) 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2011 8:34:48 PM

:(  Well if thats the case i will swap it with my Phenom II X 4 965 which is a better cpu anyways in my other rig. And try unlocking it with my gigabyte board. I mean actually it has good speed for 3 cores but i was hoping i could unlock it. No big deal.
m
l
a c 866 à CPUs
January 21, 2011 8:55:28 PM

The CPU is what has a bad core. (not the board) Under clocking it is probably the only chance for it to run on all four.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2011 2:43:16 AM

It's hits or miss trying to unlock cores. From many articles I have read it seems to be about a 50/50 shot at unlocking a stable 4th core on AMD x3s.

It sounds like you are one of the unlucky ones that has a defective 4th core. Sometimes a voltage increase or underclocking can get the 4th core stable but its a crapshoot.

I have a rana x 3 that has a stable 4th core at stock speeds but the 4th core will not OC near as high as the original 3. For gaming I am better off with only 3 cores at a higher Oced clock speed.

If gaming is your thing I wouldnt worry to much about the 4th core and focus more on the potential of the working 3.
m
l
!