Sign in with
Your question

Will an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 fit in Dell tower case?

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2011 8:40:23 PM

Hello,
Can you please help? My question is...Will an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 fit in Dell tower case? I have a dell Dimension c521 and the bios is outdated with no updates available. The Sempron processor doesn't have the speed I want and an Athlon x2 64 doesn't work with the bios. This MoBo is cheap and AM@ compatible, it's just Dell towers are a little different inside. Would it fit?

Many Thanks
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2011 8:57:00 PM

Last time i took apart a dell the motherboard mounting holes were very weird there was no way to upgrade it in my case.
m
l
January 21, 2011 9:01:30 PM

The Dimension C521 uses a non-standard motherboard. A quick visual inspection of your current motherboard would easily confirm this. It's not even close :-P

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2011 10:56:44 PM

Got to love dell they do it so you dont upgrade it yourself.. they want repeat customers lol...
m
l
January 21, 2011 11:13:42 PM

Yah, I noticed the way it was mounted, that's why I thought it safer to ask before I buy. It's pretty poor form that Dell decided to do this to their customers...If you buy Dell it's spend, spend, spend intead of a nice simple upgrade. They don't even support their own products. Bios update, What Bios update? Shamefull really.

I'm just gonna have to buy a new tower I guess. Thanks for the help guys.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2011 3:00:18 PM

Quote:
wrong...
you can upgrade that c521 and there is updated BIOS for that unit that will allow upper athlon 64x2 chips to run and even game on...

but if wanted to replace the motherboard then it will take a little modification and a dremel 300 cutting tool.

do not let anyone tell you differently than that.

Most people dont want to start cutting there case lol... Never though of that let me go install a mobo on my car door.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2011 3:04:36 PM

Quote:
that's ignorant dude becuase you do not even know what to cut if you have to..
your speaking in generalized text, I'm not..

and don't be so quick to quote when I go back and edit my typing and then sometimes add more.
give it a minute and do not troll..

+1 listin to malmental he knows lot more then me:) 

Really he does not being sarcastic
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2011 3:10:06 PM

Quote:
sorry and I'm not going off on you personally...
it's just that I get so mad when people say you can't do this or do that when I know that you can and especially Dell.
being that I'm a runaway Dell BORG...:D 

Anything is possible, but with dell they make it hell for you to do it.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 22, 2011 3:29:09 PM

Quote:

but if wanted to replace the motherboard then it will take a little modification and a dremel 300 cutting tool.
do not let anyone tell you differently than that.

It takes more than "a little modification" to put an ATX board in a BTX case.
m
l
January 22, 2011 4:25:46 PM

Quote:
that's ignorant dude becuase you do not even know what to cut if you have to..
your speaking in generalized text, I'm not..

and don't be so quick to quote when I go back and edit my typing and then sometimes add more.
give it a minute and do not troll..

You would have to virtually cut the entire back of the case out. The IO slots and expansion slots are both in the wrong place. It's not a simple Dell PSU mod where you cut a 1/2" notch out of the rear of the case to allow a standard ATX PSU to fit. I'm sure, that with a Dremel, I could install an ATX motherboard in an old VCR. Hell, I could install one in anything with enough cutting. But you also run into other issues. Dell likes to use non-standard front panel connectors. Ever had a dell apart? The front panel audio, power, USB, and indicator lights all merge into a single 20-conductor ribbon cable on most systems. Fix that with your dremel, smart-ass.

m
l
January 30, 2011 6:55:13 AM

@ malmental,

I've gone through the Dell Support and the only bios available for my system is the one I already have installed:- v1.1.11
I've upgraded from Vista to Win 7 (if that makes a difference) and the processor I bought is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 2.6GHz. (currently have a Sempron 1.8 fitted) From what I've read it should be an easy install but not so...when installed the PC starts up, the fan goes mental and the pc shuts off. A store tech told me it's the bios and to update, this can't be done so I'm told to buy a new mobo, and that wont fit the case.

Can you guide me to the Bios upgrade you say is available please? Cheers.
m
l
January 30, 2011 6:54:46 PM

Thanks for the help mate, Pins are straight, numbers on the processor are

AD05000IAA5D0
NAA9G 0743FAI
X453622K70097

I took it back out after unsuccessfully trying it 3 times. I think i'm just going to sell it on eBay and get a new tower. So much for the cheap option lol.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2011 11:06:00 PM

did you apply the thermal paste properly?
m
l
January 31, 2011 4:27:42 AM

I believe so, i followed the techs instructions...less than a pea sized drop on the CPU and spread with a business card to cover the whole back of the chip very thinly. Had the same thing happen each time i tried to install...super high fan noise and shuts itself off. Guess it must be a bad chip.
m
l
February 3, 2011 10:41:25 PM

Anyone want to buy a bad chip? I'll make you a great deal, Lol.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:05:09 PM

armchair_hero said:
Hello,
Can you please help? My question is...Will an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 fit in Dell tower case? I have a dell Dimension c521 and the bios is outdated with no updates available. The Sempron processor doesn't have the speed I want and an Athlon x2 64 doesn't work with the bios. This MoBo is cheap and AM@ compatible, it's just Dell towers are a little different inside. Would it fit?

Many Thanks

You are better off taking the dell case and running it over with your car several times. Only take a dremel and modify it if you are living in a cardboard box and eating 4 month old dry mac an cheese. As a dude that builds 20+ machines a month and customizes them as well take my advice and destroy it, anything dell is garbage to the core. Buy a cheap generic case for 50-60 bucks with a 500 watt PSU and slap the parts in and there will be no problems at all, all the front panel pins are correct, plug and go. No self respecting tech would ever go cutting up a POS dell case to mod it unless you are a few swimmers short of an egg.
m
l
!