Problem after rebuilt

vallumlj

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I bought a new case today and transferred everything into it and this is the first time I have ever done something like this.

I booted the system up and it worked fine when it was laying down. When I stood the case up the system would boot but nothing would appear on the screen and it would beep. I then made sure everything was connected and it work again then it stop working and now it is working again.

Any ideas what this could be or should i forget about it if it works now.

Also in my last pc i had a small card that I think control the side lights. It had a volume dial and a on and sc switch. Any ideas what this is? I have not put it into the new case.

Thanks for the help.

shane799

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hey,

I have had this same problem with a build I did last year. The beep mean things. Go online and Google HP Whatever 3 beeps. Or whatever your problem is. I would be dollars to donouts that you have missed plugging in the CPU. Or its not seated. Or a ram stick is loose. Check all of your connections are on, including the sata cables to your drives and re-seat your ram sticks.

Most likely that one of the above is the problem. But like I said online you will find info on what the beep codes mean.

Good luck!

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

+1 never underestimate google.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Check how secure your video card is. When the mobo is laying down flat gravity is helping hold it in place. But once the mobo is standing up the slot may have become loose. Check that. Especially if you're not seeing the mobo bootup screen I would say 95% that is the problem.

vallumlj

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the help all seems to be working. But now I have a new problem the front usb on the case does not work and the back ones work fine. Have I forgot to connect them some how?

Also I bought a new 120mm fan for the rear of the case but it did not come with any screws. How do i connect this? There are two wires coming from the fan in the case I take it I only have to plug one into my psu what is the other one for?

Thanks for the help.

shane799

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hey,
The USB cable with comes from the front of the case and connects to the motherboard. Should find the wire right where your power and reset cables come from. Swing by any computer store and they will be able to give you some of the fan screws. They are no big deal, cheep things my store doesn't even charge for them. The second wire will be for the lights in the fan.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Re: Front USB There will be wires coming out of your case that need to be connected to the usb header of your motherboard they will be labeled VCC, USB1-, USB1+, GND. In my experience it is a single set of joined wires that will seperate near the end where it plugs into the mobo. Unfortunately there is no standard plug for these so you should check your mobo manual to see where these need to plug in.

Re: Fan Power Cables: If they are different plugs it is most likely so you have the option of plugging it into your mobo fan controller or into a standard power supply plug. DO NOT PLUG IT INTO BOTH. And as for the fan screws I agree with shane799. Most stores will either charge next to nothing for them or nothing if you are a regular. However I recommend getting rubber plugs instead of screws. I find they help cut down on noise.