My computer opens from the left so fitting problems

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
i recently, bought a custom computer from a guy and just now realized that one of my old video cards won't physically be able to connect correctly not because it is too big but my computer opens from the left side(motherboard facing me from left) and the gold or copper connecter thingy that goes into the pci slot because the rack is at the opposite end of where it should be-- basically, id have to put the motherboard on the other side i guess unless theres a video card thats a "lefty" I'll probably need help with all this since this would be my first time changing around things in computers. Just thinking about it, i think i'd have trouble with the power supply box if im switching the motherboard to the other side not to mention fans and wires in the way. I don't remember the exact name of the case all i know its a "destroyer" brand mid tower or something i'll post more stuff later at home.

Solution

Maybe you figured it out but I'm going to just say that you may be putting the graphics card in upside down.

I understand you have the bracked aligned to the mounting bracket but you are also saying the card's teeth are facing you. You need to flip the card forward so the teeth are facing the PCI-E slot, keeping the bracket aligned with the mounting brackets. It should fit easily in place with some pressure.

If you haven't done so, you also need to remove the panels from the mounting bracket you are trying to put the card in so it will fit.

It should look something like this...
If your case is the Rosewill Destroyer, it is an ATX mid-tower case with the power supply at the bottom of the case. There's nothing unusual about that case. The windowed side panel is on the standard left side of the case when you are looking at the front of the case.

When using a case like this you have to take into consideration the location of the power supply and the length of the cabling that is needed to reach the power connectors on the motherboard. Some power supplies come with long cabling to meet this requirement.

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

no, you see when the computer opens from the left side the video card's teeth need to be facing outwards not inward which is the case with all video cards in conjuction to their anchor or rack thing that connects in the slot in the pack of the computer. So, i guess my only solution is to pull out everything in my computer and put the motherboard on the opposite side of the computer then i will open the case from the right side and the anchor and pci teeth of the card will fall into place. Do you guys see what i mean about the video card not being able to fit because of this? Of should i include a picture?
I couldn't believe it would be this simple but i guess so.

the motherboard is: Gigabyte Ma785gm-Us2h

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Wait, when you say it opens to the left, do you mean that when you look at the machine from the front, the left-hand-side of the case opens up?

If so, it sounds like from your description that the motherboard is attached to the door, not the body of the case, which would be highly unusual.

To put it another way, have the case open and look at the motherboard. The arrangement should (usually) be as follows:
CPU in the top middle or top left
RAM in the top Right
PCIE and PCI slots in the bottom left, running horizontally to the left hand edge
To the left of the PCI slots should be the rear of the case, including the slots which the PCI/PCIE cards poke through to access from the rear.

A normal PCIE card should work in it just fine.

If the slots don't line up, it may be that the motherboard is mounted incorrectly.

If this does not describe your problem, then I think you will need to find the exact model specifications of the case you have, or get us a photo or a better description.

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

yes, when looking at the front of the case it opens up from the left side. The motherboard is lined up correctly too. But lets say to give better description of why a video card won't be able to slid in( again not because it's too big or too small or not alined right or nothing else is in the way) the anchor or rack at the back of a pc if your looking at the computer from the left side is to the left so the video card's anchor has to be on the left in order to secure it to the back. My problem is that yea the rack is on the left but the cards input into the slot (that gold or copper thing sticking out of the card) is facing me. I would have to turn the card upside down and that wouldn't work to make it work. lol

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
(Unable to edit previous post, Mods please concatenate if required.)

One other possibility:
Most video cards when inserted correctly have the fancy fan and stickers etc DOWNWARD, and the ugly bare circuit board uppermost, which is kind of opposite to how you'd imagine it would work. Could it be that you have the video card upside down?

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

no! lol

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
You're doing it wrong. Turn your case 180 degrees. It will then open to the right and everything will be aligned correctly.

Standard ATX cases should have the drive racks on the right side if looking into the opened left panel. If this is not the problem, turn your motherboard 180 degrees so the PCI-E slots are on the left side flush to the mounting brackets on the case.

Pictures would be nice.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008

Ok.

Since you say the PCIE port lines up with the slot in the case, there is only one orientation of board that will fit - even if it looks upside down.

Try and fit it and power on - if it is wrong then either:
1) it will not fit (won't go into the slot)
or
2) It will fit, but not make contact with the slot properly

Either way, the chance of damaging the card or slot is virtually nil - they are designed so that they CAN'T be put together wrong, so just try it!

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

mounting brackets sorry lol that is what they are called yes! i kept called them anchors. Anyways, the video cards mounting bracket has to stay on the left in order to hook into that but the cards teeth are facing me. It would all work if the mother board was on the opposite site of the case but that is the door.(rosewill destroyer mid tower) Unless it is true cards can be turned upside down then idk how it will work. And yes the motherboard itself is turned the right way the pci slots line up with the mounting brackets

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe you figured it out but I'm going to just say that you may be putting the graphics card in upside down.

I understand you have the bracked aligned to the mounting bracket but you are also saying the card's teeth are facing you. You need to flip the card forward so the teeth are facing the PCI-E slot, keeping the bracket aligned with the mounting brackets. It should fit easily in place with some pressure.

If you haven't done so, you also need to remove the panels from the mounting bracket you are trying to put the card in so it will fit.

It should look something like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aspires-lan-party-proud-xqpack-case,1195-5.html

Solution