Sound plays at maximum level despite user settings

Hi again and again...

Whatever the values I give to Music Volume and Announcer Volume, they
don't change and are played always at the same level value. The
exception is Sound Effects, which follows the value I set.

Is it a bug? Does it relate to my machine only?

My system is Gentoo Linux 2.4.26-r6, using ALSA with OSS compatibility.

Thanks in advance for any hint/suggestion,
Vince C.

Meltdown

Vince C. enlightened us with:
> Whatever the values I give to Music Volume and Announcer Volume,
> they don't change and are played always at the same level value. The
> exception is Sound Effects, which follows the value I set.

Weird. I must say I never changed the volume of the announcer and the
sound effects, but I was able to change the music volume - I turned it
all the way down.

> Is it a bug? Does it relate to my machine only?

What game are you talking about? What version of that game do you
have?

> My system is Gentoo Linux 2.4.26-r6, using ALSA with OSS
> compatibility.

Try sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources, which'll bring you a 2.6 kernel.
Works like a charm on my box. What sound card are you using? Perhaps
you need to recompile your openal, I know I did. Check out
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/167

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Thanks MeltDown.

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> a écrit dans le
message de news:slrncg0mds.gva.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com...
> Vince C. enlightened us with:
[...]
> What game are you talking about? What version of that game do you
> have?

It's UT2003 v2225 with 3 bonuspacks: Digital Extreme, Community and Epic.
Installing bonus packs didn't change anything.

> > My system is Gentoo Linux 2.4.26-r6, using ALSA with OSS
> > compatibility.
>
> Try sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources, which'll bring you a 2.6 kernel.
> Works like a charm on my box. What sound card are you using? Perhaps
> you need to recompile your openal, I know I did. Check out
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/167

I will first try recompiling OpenAL. Note I compiled everything with O3 in
the CFLAGS. Hope it doesn't mess up with sound. So I'll try OpenAL first.
I'll also check if there is a masked version of libSDL if it still doesn't
work.

Thanks again,
Vince C.

Meltdown

Vince C. enlightened us with:
> It's UT2003 v2225 with 3 bonuspacks: Digital Extreme, Community and
> Epic. Installing bonus packs didn't change anything.

Ok. Next time, mention that. This group is also used for UT2004, you
see.

> I will first try recompiling OpenAL. Note I compiled everything with O3 in
> the CFLAGS. Hope it doesn't mess up with sound.

No worries - so do I.

> I'll also check if there is a masked version of libSDL if it still
> doesn't work.

I don't think that's needed - I just used the latest unmasked version.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Andrew

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:32:17 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Ok. Next time, mention that. This group is also used for UT2004, you
>see.

This group is for UT2003. I would suggest people assume that is the
game being talked about unless someone specifies UT2004.

Meltdown

Andrew enlightened us with:
> This group is for UT2003. I would suggest people assume that is the
> game being talked about unless someone specifies UT2004.

Too many people assume you just know they are talking about the latest
game, which would be UT2004...

MeltDown

MeltDown a écrit :

>>I will first try recompiling OpenAL.

I've followed your tutorial and used Gentoo's OpenAl and libsdl (with
symlinks) and now I can change sound settings. Thanks again.

Vince C.