Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Keyboard

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2011 11:54:29 PM

Hey guys I need a new keyboard, for gaming mostly.

So I was wondering what you guys think is a good keyboard?

Price doesn't matter just show me what you guys recommend.

More about : keyboard

a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2011 4:52:11 AM

I like my Logitech G-15. I think it has been replaced with the G-19 though.
Score
Related resources
January 22, 2011 2:39:11 PM

anort3 said:
I like my Logitech G-15. I think it has been replaced with the G-19 though.

Overpriced for what they are unless you want a little lcd screen to show you temps or game stats which i think is pointless.
Score
January 22, 2011 2:40:47 PM

Thanks for the info, anyone have some ideas?
Score
January 22, 2011 3:23:41 PM

What about, the Blackwidow Ultimate?
Score
January 22, 2011 4:07:13 PM

The lcd on both the G15 and G19 are really not that useful.. That sided, those keyboards are excellent for gaming though.. Excellent key feedback and a very nice feel.. The design is also attractive and the build quality is Strictly Logitech (excellent in other words)..
Score
January 22, 2011 7:53:45 PM

^I agree with Emperus.

-About the Blackwidow Ultimate, I'm really not sure, Razer has a reputation for being like a god to gamers for good quality mice, pads and I'd take a shot that their keyboards are also popular. I however have never owned razer products...not really a gamer or anything and I personally think the products are a bit over priced for what they do.

-I would recommend the a keyboard from Logitech, if you want a low price and great value i'd take the G110.

-If you want the "Best Bang for the Buck" keyboard get the Logitech G510.

-And if you want the best of the best then get the G19.

^You can't go wrong with either of them and all of them are as the poster above said..."Logitech Quality" which is synonymous with "Amazing Quality".
Score
January 22, 2011 11:28:15 PM

Yeah someone else told me to look into the G15, but I can't see how the LCD screen would be that helpful or worth anything extra.

My other products are Razer, and I really like them and I haven't heard bad things about the Blackwidow yet.
Score
January 23, 2011 12:18:07 AM

Thanks for the info, sounds like what I heard before.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2011 3:22:43 PM

I have a Lycosa and a G110 no contest the G110 wins hands down.
Why? full profile keys and much better build quality.
Also if you don't mind red backlighting and can find one the MS Sidewinder X4 is very nice.Quiet keys and nice size.Found one for $35 a steal.
Score
January 23, 2011 7:12:11 PM

Well with the price range I'm looking at, the G15 or 19 are the Logitech contenders, but I already have the most high-end Razer products and I really like them, they not only met my expectations but surpassed them.

Then again I never bought a product that was very new, from them. But they have always been good about firmware/hardware updates.

I'm still looking at the Blackwidow Ultimate, but I will look into the ones you mentioned too.
Score
January 23, 2011 7:24:24 PM

If you want a mechanical keyboard (like the Black Widow), you don't want Cherry MX Blue switches (which the Black Widow uses). Cherry MX Blues can be slightly problematic with some people when gaming, but are easily the typist's choice, so if you write a lot of essays and such its not a bad idea. I use an XArmor U9BL which uses Cherry MX Blues and I can game fine, but I have this keyboard mainly for college purposes. It is the only keyboard I use.

A gamer wants Cherry MX Browns or Blacks.

Some great mechanical keyboards for gaming:
-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Uses Cherry MX Browns and is an extremely solid keyboard, I highly recommend it if your on a budget.

-http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-64225-Steelseries-Gam...

Uses Cherry MX Blacks and is very solid like the Rosewill.

For lights:
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/

The Linears use Cherry MX Black switches, and the Tactile use Cherry MX Clears which are very similar to Browns. These keyboard have the best build quality out of them all and are the most expensive.

For a good guide on mechanical keyboards:
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-ke...
Score
January 23, 2011 10:04:47 PM

Thanks for the info I will looking into Linears, I want my keyboard to be the most comfortable part of my system.
Score
January 24, 2011 6:12:06 AM

sowexly said:
Thanks for the info I will looking into Linears, I want my keyboard to be the most comfortable part of my system.

Then look no further than mechanical. If you can find a way to audition switch types, that would be optimal.

Also don't skimp on the mouse. :D 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2011 8:19:59 AM

AMW1011 said:
If you want a mechanical keyboard (like the Black Widow), you don't want Cherry MX Blue switches (which the Black Widow uses). Cherry MX Blues can be slightly problematic with some people when gaming, but are easily the typist's choice, so if you write a lot of essays and such its not a bad idea. I use an XArmor U9BL which uses Cherry MX Blues and I can game fine, but I have this keyboard mainly for college purposes. It is the only keyboard I use.

A gamer wants Cherry MX Browns or Blacks.

Exactly why are the Cherry Blues not suitable for gaming? I have been eyeing the XArmor U9BL for both gaming and general use. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I'm just curious as to why gamers would want Brown or Blacks instead of Blues.

I currently use a Saitek Eclipse keyboard.
Score
January 24, 2011 1:25:12 PM

Looking at the different MX keys I don't see why Blue would be a bad choice for gaming, if anything the best.

Tactile feedback allowing you to feel the exact moment the computer registers your input, sounds heavenly.
Score

Best solution

January 24, 2011 6:02:02 PM

jaguarskx said:
Exactly why are the Cherry Blues not suitable for gaming? I have been eyeing the XArmor U9BL for both gaming and general use. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I'm just curious as to why gamers would want Brown or Blacks instead of Blues.

I currently use a Saitek Eclipse keyboard.

With Cherry MX Blues, the release point is above the actuation point, which can cause hysteresis. This means that double tapping a key in game can be problematic and the second tap can fail. This isn't a major issue by any means, but it can effect some people's gaming. As I said above, I would tend to avoid Cherry MX Blues unless you do a lot of writing. Note that I actually have the XArmor U9BL, and I game very well on this keyboard, however I also have college essays to write.

If you want Cherry MX Blues, then get them, they are quite unique and fun. There may be a problem with your gaming, but the only way to know is to find out. Worse comes to worse, return it. On the other hand you may be like me and enjoy them without the hysteresis bothering your gameplay.

As for Cherry MX Blacks, they are generally praised for their force requirement for actuation, which is something like 70g, where a Cherry MX Blue key is 45g and a rubber dome is 50-60g. This can help ward off accidental key presses and they lack the hysteresis issue.

Cherry MX Browns tend to be a in between switch. The force required for actuation is about 55g, and they are slightly tactile, while the blacks are linear and the blues are very tactile.
a b 4 Gaming
January 24, 2011 6:30:48 PM

^^^

Alright, thanks. It seems XArmor is still on my consideration list.
Score
January 24, 2011 9:26:37 PM

Yeah, no problem Jag. Its kind of odd helping you out for a change, usually its the other way around. :) 

If you have any questions about the XArmor let me know. If your a college student, you are likely eligible for a student discount from XArmor, at least I think they are still running that program.
Score
January 24, 2011 10:17:48 PM

Well the deck boards seem to be solid but they lack any extra features, like macros or media shortcuts.

Care to list some boards with each type of switch?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2011 1:46:10 AM

AMW1011 said:
Yeah, no problem Jag. Its kind of odd helping you out for a change, usually its the other way around. :) 

I don't profess to know everything, and mechanical keyboards are one of those things that are beyond my general knowledge.

Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 25, 2011 2:36:56 AM

jaguarskx said:
I don't profess to know everything, and mechanical keyboards are one of those things that are beyond my general knowledge.

Yeah but you like Slayer so you can be forgiven lol. :sol: 
Score
January 30, 2011 3:20:01 PM

Best answer selected by sowexly.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 31, 2011 6:15:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!