Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer not booting, no video, single beep every 15 seconds

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2011 7:58:12 AM

Computer is not booting, it doesn't show the BIOS post, the monitor remains completely black, the BIOS repeats a short beep every 15 seconds. As soon as I switch the power regulator on; the PSU, Hard Drive, processor fan & case fan start working... I removed the front panel leds and reset connectors, leaving only the power-on connector and it now doesn't turn on untill I press the power on switch, but it doesn't make a difference on the rest of the problem...

I have checked everything on the computer; PSU, Hard Drive, RAM, all check ok, I removed the optic drives and floppy drive.... added a working PCI Video Card thinking the onboard video card was failing. The only remaining components to check are the Motherboard and Processor which can't be fully checked without a compatible computer to try the components on.

I carefully eyeballed the motherboard and the only thing that looks abnormal is a 1" capacitor thats located next to the Processor; it looks very slightly bulged on top, not much but enough to level the lines on top of the capacitor... check the image; this one is noticeably bulged but the one in my motherboard is less than that.. so I'm wondering if that much bulging would be enough the cause all the trouble my PC is having?...

The Motherboard is an Intel D845GLAD 847 socket... the capacitor is one inch tall, brown and on its side is printed 105ºC and 7W...

Please check the photo and tell me if that or even less bulging on a capacitor would be enough to cause all the trouble I described?

Thanks in advance.

September 22, 2011 8:22:14 AM

Chicano said:
Computer is not booting, it doesn't show the BIOS post, the monitor remains completely black, the BIOS repeats a short beep every 15 seconds. As soon as I switch the power regulator on; the PSU, Hard Drive, processor fan & case fan start working... I removed the front panel leds and reset connectors, leaving only the power-on connector and it now doesn't turn on untill I press the power on switch, but it doesn't make a difference on the rest of the problem...

I have checked everything on the computer; PSU, Hard Drive, RAM, all check ok, I removed the optic drives and floppy drive.... added a working PCI Video Card thinking the onboard video card was failing. The only remaining components to check are the Motherboard and Processor which can't be fully checked without a compatible computer to try the components on.

I carefully eyeballed the motherboard and the only thing that looks abnormal is a 1" capacitor thats located next to the Processor; it looks very slightly bulged on top, not much but enough to level the lines on top of the capacitor... check the image; this one is noticeably bulged but the one in my motherboard is less than that.. so I'm wondering if that much bulging would be enough the cause all the trouble my PC is having?...

The Motherboard is an Intel D845GLAD 847 socket... the capacitor is one inch tall, brown and on its side is printed 105ºC and 7W...

Please check the photo and tell me if that or even less bulging on a capacitor would be enough to cause all the trouble I described?

Thanks in advance.

http://imageshack.us/f/18/bulgedcap.jpg/.

if u r sure it aint anything else, then i would think its the mobo, a damaged capacitor can cause numerous problems.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2011 5:52:31 PM

I'm not sure it aint anything else... the problem is this pc was given to me so I didn't see it run before it failed.. therefore I don't have much information to pick-up from.

I'm hoping the capacitor is not the whole problem because I've seen mobos with several busted capacitors and makes me doubt all were damaged at the same time in such situations. I've been reading lots of posts on problems with the same or slighty different symptoms (capacitors mentioned on one only) and some of them recovered by different means... so I'm hoping someone can confirm from first hand experience if this level of damage on one capacitor is enough to cause the severe symptoms.

From watching photos of several damaged capacitors on a single motherboard, it's logical to assume that those PCs were still working with at least one of them damaged... I'm hoping this is the case anyway.

Thanks again for your comment.. I will seriously take it into account but will wait a little longer for other comments before I give up and trash the mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2011 6:57:21 PM

Yes. A capacitor can truely screw up your motherboard or graphics card or anything with a capacitor on it.

I've come across some old dell computers that had bad capacitor problems - they made the computers unusable.

The reason why a capacitor can make your computer unsuable is because they store extra power when the motherboard needs it. If it is bulging (most likely busted), it will not be able to provide that power - hence cause massive instability issues.

You might be able to get it working...but the stability of it will be in constant question.

Also I did a quick google and found this:

■You are getting 1, 2, or 3 beeps that indicate a memory failure.
•1 beep - Refresh Error (with nothing on the screen and it is not a video problem)
•2 beeps - Parity Error
•3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure
•Reseat the memory.
•Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
•Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.
•Try using RAM chips from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
•Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.
•Trying known good memory in the system.
•Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.
•Swap the motherboard.

It mentions something about memory problems but you said you already checked those.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2011 7:12:43 PM

According to the below-linked Intel site, there doesn't appear to be a code for single beeps every 15 secs. I believe that the beep you are hearing is your BIOS resetting every 15 secs and doing a normal single "just turned on" beep. Is it a perfect 15 seconds every time or does it vary a little. My guess is that your other components are fine but your motherboard is on its way out.

The capacitor is ominous. Are you sure everything is seated FULLY (all memory, all expansion cards, all power connectors?) Have you blown out the case and heatsinks free of dust? Your symptoms look grim as they are in line with a failed capacitor.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs...
m
l
September 22, 2011 7:28:59 PM

It probably is a capacitor like you said, but I had a motherboard with a blown onboard GPU and even though I was using a discrete graphics card at the time the motherboard was still unusable.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2011 11:03:46 PM

Chainzsaw

Thanks for the comment.. I have been finding more info on bad caps and an article on wikipedia says bad capacitors were a problem mostly from the early to mid 2000's from using some taiwaneese made capacitors... seems that both Dell, and Intel were some of the affected companies during those years. This motherboard is from Intel, made around 2004 and I don't doubt this capacitor is damaged, but from what I've also read at badcaps.net some computers can keep running for some time with several bad and even bursted caps, this one is just slightly bulged so I'm hoping there's still a chance it can run long enough to evaluate the rest of the system and see if it's worth restoring.

On your checkups list..
I've added a working ram module and tested it single and paired on both sockets so I'm pretty sure it's not a ram issue..
The mobo is clean so I'm also sure it's not dust-dirt either...
The power supply is in good condition... it's very stable on another computer with four drives.. that had been very unstable, spontaneously reeboting and not recognizing a slave Hard Drive and this power supply made a big difference, so I guess that's enough proof that it's in good condition.
I guess the last line on your list is the definite solution but as I said before, I'll hold on a little longer and see if I can find another way, even it's just a temporal solution...

Thanks.

larkspur

Yes, I've also been searching for BIOS beep codes and none of the ami bios beep codes matches the one this computer is producing. Some also seem to change over time... I have a recently upgraded system with a Biostar mobo with AMI BIOS that makes a double beep after the bios screen, normally it's a single beep on most computers even with AMIBIOS... this is consistent with this guy's comments http://www.fixya.com/support/r9895 [...] beep_codes So I guess all depends if the code is before or after the BIOS has completed it's checksum.

The computer in question is sounding a short beep begining about 45 seconds after it's powered up and continues every 15 seconds. I guess you have the right idea on what the beep every 15 secs is about.

I've also searched for all the beep codes and didn't find anything on a beep exactly every 15 seconds. I initially found several webpages commenting on a long beep code sounding every few seconds, varying from 5 to 8 secs. but nothing on one every 15. So I guess your conclusion on the BIOS resetting every 15 sec is accurate... only question is if that means the BIOS battery is dead, why a new CR-2032 battery doesn't make a difference,.. So I don't understand why it would keep resetting. I have moved the BIOS jumper to 2&3 pins and again back to 1&2 and nothing changes..

Yes all components and connections are fully seated, clean and tight... The only expansion card is the perfectly working video card I tried, so there isn't much of the kind that could go wrong. I guess the capacitor is all that the problem can be attributed to.. it just confuses me that some people say they have bulged capacitors on working computers, one guy even says his mobo has several busted capacitors and it's working fine... wonder if he's on the level...

I'm also getting a bad vibe from the capacitor.. just hope I can get a possitive answer before I give up..

Thanks

11796pcs
Yeah, the video card made no difference here either... so it's probably the capacitor.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 12:57:21 AM

Chicano said:
So I don't understand why it would keep resetting even with a new battery...

The cap is probably a part of the CPUs voltage regulation circuitry (based on its proximity to the CPU). If your CPU isn't getting clean, consistent power from that circuitry then it could definitely result in your symptoms - the 5 short beeps that mean CPU bad. Depending on how the cap is mounted, you could possibly replace it. I am however, beyond my area of expertise when someone brings out a soldering iron so maybe ask someone else on that matter.
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 5:45:47 AM

larkspur said:
The cap is probably a part of the CPUs voltage regulation circuitry (based on its proximity to the CPU). If your CPU isn't getting clean, consistent power from that circuitry then it could definitely result in your symptoms - the 5 short beeps that mean CPU bad. Depending on how the cap is mounted, you could possibly replace it. I am however, beyond my area of expertise when someone brings out a soldering iron so maybe ask someone else on that matter.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right on that, infact according to a web article, the processor capacitors are the most common to go bad... and this one is in a row that almost touches the processor heatsink... wonder if the rest will suffer the same faith anytime soon?...

The capacitor wires stick out about a millimiter from the bottom of the motherboard, so it's apparently easy to de-solder and remove... and probably as well to replace.. with the right soldering iron, and a compatible capacitor.... Maybe it would be best to replace the motherboard for $25 - $35... new.

Since it clearly seems to be the capacitor, I will consider this post ended.

Thanks for your help...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 5:52:24 AM

Best answer selected by Chicano.
m
l
!