Sign in with
Your question

Old Pentium 4 system needs to get upgraded.

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2010 12:43:25 AM

Hello, i am looking to get a new computer soon. I am running a 3.2 Ghz P4 with 2 gig ddr 400 ram and a 6800 GT gpu.

I am looking to only spend 800 tops on this computer, i already have a case and power supply (650 continuous antec). The main thing i am wondering about is if i should bite the bullet nowish , or wait for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday, or even possibly wait for sandybridge to hit retail.

The other thing is getting a laptop , but i want at least 1600 by 900 with a decent graphics card and that runs way over that 800 dollar limit.

Any help would be great. ( I am almost dead set on desktop at this point.)
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2010 2:39:28 AM

I can tell you that at $800 it's likely to be an AMD build. Assuming you're after gaming of course...
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2010 3:07:45 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This is the big question... when is best?

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) 800 after rebates...

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop // music editing // Gaming...

Parts Not Required: Operating System // Hard Drive // PSU // case // Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Newegg is my choice, but willing to take recommendations...

Country of Origin: U.S (New York)

Parts Preferences: AMD is better bang for buck.. but if intel can compete I will go with them too.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: In the future yes, but not right now.

Monitor Resolution: Have one... forgot... it is 1920 x 1080 23'

Additional Comments: Biggest question is buy now or wait, and do you guys think waiting till BF / CM is really worth it...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2010 4:20:00 AM

Only you can tell us if you can limp along for another 6 weeks or so. If you can wait there will be deasl on BF, but its up to you if you want to wait. The other problem with waiting is you won't know whats going to go on sale, so its hard to plan at this point. Looking at the BF deal sites will help, but sometimes things come along that you didn't expect.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2010 3:38:31 AM

If you've waited this long I'd wait. Newegg had some good deals last year.
m
l
!