Sign in with
Your question

Permanent Fragmentation?!?

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2013 5:07:42 PM

Hi, i have a Western Digital WDC5000AAJS 500GB sata 3 hard drive. I went to do my usual monthly defrag with Defraggler, it will not go down past 19% fragmented, 2 files that equal 6GB's are fragmented and i can't get rid of them.

I have a Hitachi 7k100 750GB drive here that i can use to replace it if i have to. The WD is about 4 years old.

So, do i have permanent fragmentation??

Thanks!!
a b G Storage
February 5, 2013 5:11:33 PM

if those files are your swap file and your hibernate file, you can probably disable them, run the defrag, then enable them again.
February 5, 2013 5:13:49 PM

No it wont be permanent fragmentation. These are likely system files like the page file or the hibernate file(hiberfil.sys). Did you happen to make note of the two files?

What OS are you using and Im assuming your using the built in defrag tool that came with the OS?
Related resources
February 5, 2013 5:23:54 PM

JamesSneed said:
No it wont be permanent fragmentation. These are likely system files like the page file or the hibernate file(hiberfil.sys). Did you happen to make note of the two files?

What OS are you using and Im assuming your using the built in defrag tool that came with the OS?

I didn't make note of the files.

I'm using Piriform Defraggler, i did some scans with that and now i'm using the standard windows 7 64 defragger. I don't have a page file or a hibernate file either, i disabled them both.
a b G Storage
February 5, 2013 5:25:36 PM

In order to help you further, we need to know which files are interfering.
February 5, 2013 5:43:40 PM

MauveCloud said:
In order to help you further, we need to know which files are interfering.

How can i find out?? :) 

!