D

Deleted member 362816

I have a Asus sabertooth p67 want to get a pcie x1 sound card

I play bad company 2 the most.

Looking for something that is not out dated

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
SPDIF, cannot carry 5.1 unless it compressed, HDMI can carry the standard of dolby and DTS uncompressed, plus the new formats like true hd and master are becoming really popular. 7.1 surround may be a standard soon...

the point is, the compression used to transport dolby and dts signals through SPDIF, is like listening to 320kps in surround sound... not exaclty 'quality'.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
oh wow.... everyone knows u can only carry 5.1 through SPDIF, through compression.... this is using standard formats like DTS and dolby,

i should even have to tell u this... since googles there for u.

HDMI is not video+SPDIF... can u carry dolby true HD or DTS master with SPIF??? no u cant

i dont need a better receiver, i can tell enough difference with HDMI and SPDIF... ones compressed, ones not...
quality amp with SPDIF---> bad quality
quality amp with HDMI--> good quality.

...with HDMI from Denon Avr1910 beats any (5.1) SONY HTS. anyway who'd want to use logitech speakers for blueray???

indeed it is simple...

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Isn't the whole data lost through compression argument a bit moot when OP wants this for gaming and most games use fairly low bitrate audio anyway?

SPDIF can handle up to 125Mbit/s and has theoretical support for the advanced DD and DTS schemes trough optical lines. The real reason behind the lack of HD encoding probably has more to do with the fact that SPDIF does not support modern content protection schemes.

Umm, guys, SPDIF is 5.1 only, and even then, only when using lossy formats (Dolby and DTS).

Secondly, you lose quality when using the digital output, simply becaues of the fact that sound does not digitize well. For audio, analog > digital.

Anyway, my recomendations for the PCI-E 1x slot:
ASUS Xonar DX [Dolby Digital encoding only; no DTS]
ASUS Xonar D2X
Auzentech Forte
ASUS Essence STX
HT Omega Claro/Halo/XT

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Low good amp bad quality. Viotek and digitek and daiwoo ain't good amps because sounds like you got a lot of them. How can a good amp be bad quality as its doing the conversion to analog. You know you have to plug in the sdif from you dvd rom into the boards sdif connector. Sounds like you thought you had sdif coz what you described ain't sdif.

OP get a fibre optic cable coz rca is still basically analog then test it out. You got a sdif connection as well as a home theatre. If you don't like it get a Sound Card. Don't want you to spend money on a thing that is going to give you the same quality as what you currently have. I'm not trying to convince you to get it but its a connection a lot of people don't use because they really don't know what it is. All it will cost you is a fibre optic cable. You have test it while your looking at a Sound Card.

since when did i say i owned a viotek , digitek, daiwoo amps?? i told u wat amp i owned.... no matter how good an amp is, if the source, or the tramission technique is bad.. thent eh sound quality is bad.. ur argument is at fault, because u chat BS and say stuff that i hadnt even said. plus what i descirbed is SPDIF, its just u that dont know much of 'em.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Transistor-Transistor Logic = Google it

its because your not pluggin your roms sdif connector in. So the dvd rom will use its own crappy converter instead of sending it straight through to your receiver. Watching blue ray as well its a crappy analog connection through to your soundcard which picks up electrical noise. You have to plug in the digital connector to your soundcard

SPDIF, is a clockless device, therefore it cannot control flow, and will have a lot of jitteres, this is why in accuracy is better on the analogue,

if u have a newer DVD player, use HDMI to connect it to the receiver. when SPDIF transports 5.1 signals, it has to compresss it, and lowers the signal bitrate down to 16.

if u have a blu-ray player use HDMI. u cant use TrueHD and Master with SPDIF. Some blueray players have better DAC their receivers. same goes for DVD.

analogue always wins when it comes to accuracy.

Transistor-Transistor Logic = Google it

its because your not pluggin your roms sdif connector in. So the dvd rom will use its own crappy converter instead of sending it straight through to your receiver. Watching blue ray as well its a crappy analog connection through to your soundcard which picks up electrical noise. You have to plug in the digital connector to your soundcard

Ummm, no. Most soundcards actually offer better analog signal quality compared to the digitial output. Even then, I'd still take analog over digital when it comes to audio. Digitized sound is, for lack of a better term, flat. When you take any signal that is natually a wave and try to digitize, you lose quality, and no amount of post processing can restore what was lost in the conversion.

0per

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Man forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong area but am I the only one that is completely fed the hell up with the sound options for the pc? I mean ... my last three or four motherboards have had onboard audio that would have been great had it not been onboard. At least they had 5.1 or even 7.1 ANALOG outputs! But being onboard they leech performance so I've tried 3 different flavors of X-fi, the latest being a Titanium HD (solid state tho, at least they did that right). Now I don't have an extra home theater system laying around that I can connect to my Xfi optical out, but I do have 2 pairs of M-audio studio monitors (analog input) and an infinity (analog) subwoofer and an extra studio monitor for "center". The speakers and sub are already powered (amplified). I should have 5.1 surround but x-fi cards don't output analog surround, right? I mean there are only LEFT AND RIGHT and digital. So, X-fi doesn't even do 2.1 really does it? ALL I EVER REALLY WANTED was 2.1 (stereo with LFE or sub out). I don't like splitting the audio signal in order to have the sub. What can I do to get 5.1 surround audio without buying another home theater reciever (which would utilize the optical out and bypass all the features of my sound card anyway... Ugh)?\

If my computer were in the same room as the TV then everything would be peachy but it aint. I've got 5 or 6 hundred dollars worth of audio equipment now and still no damn surround sound.

Anyone anyone anyone

0per

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Yep I know how you feel. I would like to give up but I have this thing about not letting the computer tell me what I can and can't do. Especially when it's something that should not be a problem. In the last couple days I've learned a bit more regarding this issue.

I went out and bought a Panasonic SA-PT480 home theater (ha) receiver (with, *cough*, speakers that I never even unpacked). The theory, since it has an optical IN and 5.1 analog OUTs, was that I would simply plug an optical cable into the hole on my x-fi that glows red, and plug the other end into the SA-PT480, and then take the leads that should have gone to the dinky speakers that I never unpacked and plug them into my amplified speakers and sub and then be happy with my audio experience and smile.

NO. Oh no nooo. Audio wouldn't even come out of 5 of the 6 speakers (well, one time it downmixed the signal to mono and played each test sound as mono out of the front two, woohoo, and poorly) and the one that was audible was unintelligible (sounded like the speaker cone had been replaced with a wet diaper).

Turns out that Panasonic's design engineers either smoked too much crack or not enough crack on the day they finalized the design and sent it off to production. The analog outputs are all 3 ohms, except the sub out which is 6 ohms. Even if all of my amplified speakers had gotten a good signal from the receiver the black cloud directly above my head wasn't about to dissipate. The receiver's "auto-off" feature doesn't seem to care if the DAC is busy or not, and automatically shuts the unit down after 15 or 20 minutes. In all fairness I'll say that the Panasonic surround sound system may be fabulous when it's used as intended. Ok, well, as a kid I had a ten-speed bike, which I used to jump off of ramps and stuff until the final jump and the bike caved in like tin foil. This Panasonic unit could be like that. Only it's a 10-speed Huffy with baseball cards in the spokes to make the "motor" sound.

Back it goes. I'll likely be selling the X-fi card on ebay, and going with a "Claro" card which has all the analog outputs anyone could ever want, and costs about the same as the Titanium HD. The best part for me will be that I get to drop Creative like a bad habit, which is what they've become. They seem add a name and subtract a feature with every new product; "Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Audio Titanium HD!" For another 50 bucks you can get F4T4L1TY (or whatever) printed on it.

At least their marketing department is at work.

Anyone ever look at the task manager and see how many processes are added after the installation of their sound cards. You can kill most of them with no adverse effects, so what the heck are they doing there besides sucking juice?
:pfff:
A: Marketing

0per

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

See? That's what I mean. They've been butt-happy about this optical technology. Optical this, digital that, blahblah...and then look at all the limitations that come with it... and to top everything off with confusion, there have got to be like 20 different kinds of Dolby schemes, God only knows how many ways to compress, convert, reconvert, upmix, downmix.... dude.

It's sound. It shouldn't require a master's degree in order to understand. I have two ears. I'm not a bat. I just want to hear realistic, fairly accurate sound. I have a $120+ sound card, $500+ in speakers and amplification, and a $5000 headache.

I don't mean to sound like I'm blaming you or anyone specifically. I blame God. lol. Fed up tho.

D

Deleted member 362816

I like the smoke to much crack part.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
creative x-fi titanium is not rock solid for games and for music,
asus cards run better on the background, as well as giving higher SNR to cost ratio. lower THD and IMD on all asus cards as well.

its asus that is top notch for music and movies, as well as games now. specs show it all.

^^ Because its a lower quality part? Lets face it, no Creative card [aside from the Titanium HD] is significantly better then onboard anymore; 108dB SnR is more or less standard these days. Throw in Creatives horrid drivers...

ASUS, Auzentech, and HT Omega all offer higher quality cards at lower prices with more features then Creative, with more stable drivers to boot. Recommending Creative for sound is like recommending S3 for a GPU; you CAN, but other manufacturers simply have better parts.

dude the sound blaster creative platinum was good, the audigy series as well, the xfi gamer and xfi music and titanium hd is great as well, yes the other companies offer better deals depending the avaibility but still im standing by creative, creative been making audio way longer than auzentech or ht and asus