How Do My i5 2500k Temps look?

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I just built my new computer and I was wondering if these temperatures look good (IDLE Temps)

Is there a program that comes with the Asus P8p67 Pro Mobo that I can adjust motherboard settings, while on Windows? I was watching a video from Newegg and they loaded up some toolbar that had about 6 Blue Buttons >.< lol

Untitled-2.png

Those look like believable Core Temps (there is a temp sensor on each core in Intel chips) and fairly good idle temps. Do you have the Motherboard control the CPU fan speed, or is it set to max always? My only concern is that the CPU temp is way off, which can cause the fan controller to act up.

In the BIOS, PC Health or Monitoring section I think, there should be a CPU Smart Fan or QFan setting. Disabled would run all fans at max.

However, you might as well try stressing it and see if the temps climb too high. If they don't, who cares what the fan is doing. If it works, it works. You can use a program such as Prime95 or LinX to stress the CPU (all cores).

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

The max CPU temp(T-case) according to Intel is 72.6C, and the T-case temp is usually a few degrees lower than the core temp. So a max of ~75C would keep the CPU in spec. I would say at stock that it should run much lower than this though, unless you have a very bad cooling setup(ie. a heater blowing into the case :sarcastic: ).

Idle temps don't matter much, worry more about load temps as that's when the processor reaches its peak stress from heat.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52210&processor=i5-2500K&spec-codes=SR008 for reference.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I've read elsewhere that SpeedFan's Core temp's are artificially 15 degrees lower than they really are
seems to fit with the picture that your CPUID monitor are showing higher temps...

you're lucky...not sure what's going on, but I just got my 2500k and it's burning up... 40 celsius on idling and in the 80's when stress tested with prime 95
I've even returned the processor for a new one and still same problem.
Could it be motherboard?

What voltages are reported and what fan are you using? Do you have the newest MB BIOS? It could be that the board is mistakenly setting voltage too high, but that is just a guess. Also, you temps could be fine but just reported incorrectly. Anyway, be sure you have the newest BIOS, a decent cooler, and a very tiny amount of thermal paste between them.

For a very rough comparison, my old i5 (overclocked as in sig) idles in the mid to upper 20's C and maxes in the low 50's C. Althouh the max may be 70-75C, I'd recommend staying below 60C when stressed.

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
For my 2500k i put 1 stripe down the center of the CPU and then put a Hyper 212 + Cooler on. Im not sure if I put too much or too little on the CPU.

I guess I could take off the Cooler and check to see how much thermal paste is on the CPU

Edit: Prime 95 tested for a little bit before work this morning. You can see the max temps. I dont know if there is a utility through Prime 95 that shows the temperatures throughout the whole test (28 Torture Tests / 24 Minutes) 0 warnings, 0 errors

Just noticed those fan speeds...that makes me nervous that the speeds minimum was 2rpm, even if it was just for a second. Is that normal? Lol (sorry for so many questions. Just want to make sure my computer works like a champ)
Stress.png

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Yes I have the newest BIOS version (initial release since it's the mobo was just released)
The store initially put the cpu on the mobo for me using intel's thermal pad that comes on the stock heatsink/fan. I've also applied my own arctic silver 5 using the pea method

Also to note, I've run into 3 blue screens of death since I've put in the new mobo/cpu... so there is some hardware issue going on I think.... I haven't had blue screens since this new cpu, but it happens so randomly I'm not sure if that was the problem
but given that the exchanged cpu still reads super hot I'm thinking it's the mobo?